Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 32,888 times

Advertisements

I'm being relo'd to the WA. area and can live anywhere in the state that is close to an airport for travel. What are the best public schools and places to live? I have two kids. One that plays AAA squirt hockey and another that does competitive gymnastics. What area do you get the most house for your money? I would appreciate your input its been a long time since I've been in the Seattle Wa. area. I been on-line looking at the Vancouver area. I like the no income tax- no sales tax relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 16,765 times
i moved to the vancouver area recently, it is nice. I have to say that Spokane is a really nice area and close to an airport. It has the 4 seasons and a pretty reasonable housing market. There are many good areas over that way. I lived there for many years. It is a nice size city with a small town feel.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 122,658 times
If you are serious about gmynastics, move to Vancouver and join Nadenov gym. My niece is a level 8 (I think) gymnast and has gone there for years. She and two of her fteammates consistently rank in the top 20 at nationals and she won the uneven bars.

I grew up in Seattle and its a beautiful place to live, but very expensive. Seattle gets more rain than Vancouver and is cooler in Summer and warmer in Winter. People in Vancouver don't shop in Portland as often as you would think. I live right off the second exit past the state line, but I only go to Portand fto buy the big stuff.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
The Salmon Creek area of Vancouver offers easy access to PDX, good schools, and some nice neighborhoods. We moved here a couple of years ago and could not be happier.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Vancouver area has a lot of options,
North for slightly warmer weather (away from east wind in Gorge) usually better soils for gardening.

Hockinson or NW Camas for good schools (and fairly close to Nadenov gym,,,intersection of I-205 and SR 500)

Cascade Park for direct PDX route. (There is (was) an Ice Arena in Cascade Park, but It got radically downsized, not sure if it is still operational, but I think so)

Can go east to Washougal (or east Camas) for better access to the gorge

I would avoid Orchards due to lots of rocks (soil) and rentals (Neighborhood)

For central area I also like Minnehaha / South Hazel Dell, there are some semi rural places and great gardening. 5 min from I-5 or I-205

East County (east of 205 and south of 4th Plain BLVD) can be chilly in the winter (east wind)

You can currently get a decent house for the money in most areas of SW WA. I would stick with the desirable areas or rural to enable future resell. I would also buy older and smaller to save on property taxes. If you find a home on large corner lot that is in the Urban Growth Boundary, and has the potential for being rezoned from Residential to Commercial, you may be able to garner and shelter some serious capital gains. ($500k for married couple after 2 years)... who needs a job!! if you buy the right place at the right price Even
tho you can buy these at deep discounts now, I would avoid buying a 'California special' or mcmansion (new; w/ 3 car garage in subdivision). There will be a lot of those for sale when 'tax reality' strikes and changing demographics mean more 2 person homes than 6 person.

The PDX airport is really great and EZ to get in and out of. (been there 4 times this week!). It is major enough to have many options for direct connections, and is well served. (Delta, American, UA, NW, SWA, Continental, Alaska, Horizon, Hawaiian Air, ...)

Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 AM

30 posts, read 139,830 times
Default Hockey and Washington.

The Vancouver area is a very good area for what you are looking for. On the east side of Vancouver there is a hockey rink that has junior hockey. For several years I have housed players from all over the world that have played there. The other two local rinks are Beaveton and Sherwood. They are both within 20 minutes, and living in Vanoucer you can avoid the taxes etc. The schools on that side of town are excellent and there are some great deals to be found.

If you are interested in information on mod cut: solicitation removed the hockey in the area please feel free to get ahold of me. I hope this area works for you as it is a great part of the country to live in.

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-20-2008 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,171,658 times
What about swimming pools. Are there any swimming teams in the area.
I heard all the High Schools in SW WA have no pools or teams.
Why is that???
That is really sad!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 AM

16 posts, read 122,658 times
Default Swimming

The Vancouver School district runs two pools and swimmers in the area swim on the same team (I think). My nephew (he's 10 or 11) swims for the Vancouver Swim Club. They have meets all over SW WA and OR.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 33,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
What about swimming pools. Are there any swimming teams in the area.
I heard all the High Schools in SW WA have no pools or teams.
Why is that???
That is really sad!
What about swimming pools for adults in Vancouver? I know there is a big new one near Evergreen but where is the best swimming program for adults on the west side of Vancouver? thanks in advance
Margot

Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
probably Lakeshore Athletic club, but hopefully something better has shown up, since I moved out to the Gorge.

As an (ex...) avid lap swimmer the lack of ANY affordable (or nice) pools in Vancouver has been a thorn for me since 1982...(I can't justify a 'club' membership, and the Y is equally expensive). After Memory Pool burnt down (behind Vancouver Library, and built during WWI), I would drive to Beaverton for a decent pool, and the only 50 M pool in the area at the time. The swimmers and staff at Marshall Center (the only other pool) made lap swimming very 'unenjoyable'. I have worked on several public efforts to get a community pool, but unfortunately the efforts fail. They get all caught up into making a really nice 'play' pool, nice lobbies, lots of glass and stone, but a pathetic lap / exercise pool. They get voted down for various reasons. Currently I drive 30 mile to Stevenson for an excellent community pool with reasonable charge $2.30. But when I travel back to my home in Colo (300+ days of sunshine) I love taking advantage of their 4 INDOOR public pools (in a town of 35,000) and the fee is $.75. Their Community centers are very nice (7 lane Pool + separate area for 2 story slide, saunas, hot tubs, indoor jogging, racquetball, basketball, senior center, senior housing, Library, theater...) they offered FREE one week courses in building, staffing, and funding community centers, but no one here was interested.. OR has some nice community centers too (McMinnville has a good example). For WA adult swimming, I have only found Seattle area to have very many public pools. I know of NO school districts in Clark county that have their own pool. I mistakenly moved near a HS when I relocated to Vancouver, thinking I could lap swim at noon time.. I showed up with my duffle bag, and they thought I was from MARS. I honestly had not seen a HS w/o a pool before, unless it was a very small and remote town. (I had lived a sheltered life in the rural American prairie)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area