Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 85,560 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just found this site yesterday and thought I'd hit the gold mine! We are planning a move from Central Florida to Vancouver, WA this summer. Great info you've all offered!

Here's where I'm at: I'm very interested in the Vancouver School of Arts and Academics. I'd like both of my daughters to attend (grades 7 & 10). I've called the school but they said they really don't give tours and the best advice they could offer (as far as if my daughters could "get in") is that the first thing I need to do is to get a local address and make sure it's in the Vancouver School District. Fair enough, but now I'm feeling like I'm restricting my house hunting to the Van School Dist when other areas (like Evergreen, Camas, BG) might be better for us in case the girls DONT get into the school. Salmon Creek is an option, as both have reputable middle and high schools and are in the Van district, but I would also like to check out Fishers Landing, Camas, Battle Ground and Washougal. My older daughter is an artist in every way and has a really good case of ADD, hence the smaller class sizes of the magnet school would be good for her, as well as the art focus. My younger daughter has no academic issues and would thrive anywhere.

So that's my question - does anyone know about the school and if it's impossible to get into, especially over the summer? I know by then they've pretty much made their selections for the next school year, and 7th & 8th grades are pretty "full", with more slots opening up in the high school grades. I've read the school website so I've got that info, just would love any info any of you might have, any insight at all really!

We're coming up for 10 days in March to check out the area and schools. We'd like to make our move over the summer.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 PM

550 posts, read 3,268,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrooks View Post
Hello!

I just found this site yesterday and thought I'd hit the gold mine! We are planning a move from Central Florida to Vancouver, WA this summer. Great info you've all offered!

Here's where I'm at: I'm very interested in the Vancouver School of Arts and Academics. I'd like both of my daughters to attend (grades 7 & 10). I've called the school but they said they really don't give tours and the best advice they could offer (as far as if my daughters could "get in") is that the first thing I need to do is to get a local address and make sure it's in the Vancouver School District. Fair enough, but now I'm feeling like I'm restricting my house hunting to the Van School Dist when other areas (like Evergreen, Camas, BG) might be better for us in case the girls DONT get into the school. Salmon Creek is an option, as both have reputable middle and high schools and are in the Van district, but I would also like to check out Fishers Landing, Camas, Battle Ground and Washougal. My older daughter is an artist in every way and has a really good case of ADD, hence the smaller class sizes of the magnet school would be good for her, as well as the art focus. My younger daughter has no academic issues and would thrive anywhere.

So that's my question - does anyone know about the school and if it's impossible to get into, especially over the summer? I know by then they've pretty much made their selections for the next school year, and 7th & 8th grades are pretty "full", with more slots opening up in the high school grades. I've read the school website so I've got that info, just would love any info any of you might have, any insight at all really!

We're coming up for 10 days in March to check out the area and schools. We'd like to make our move over the summer.

Thanks so much!!
It is an absolutely fantastic school...but it's exceptionally difficult to get into. I had a friend a few years back who taught there. And while he absolutely LOVED it, there were some issues that he didn't seem thrilled with.

If I recall correctly, there was some deal with all the kids being required to take some art/dance/music classes that weren't relevant to their chosen art, nor were they allowed out of them. They didn't seem to have quite the same type of flexibility with their scheduling/interests as they would at a typical school. But that was several years ago and very well may have changed since. I'm not sure...I no longer socialize with the person who taught there.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:46 AM

17 posts, read 85,560 times
Thanks, diggitydot. I appreciate you sharing this info. And I want to thank you for all of your other posts - I just found this website and spent hours reading the Vancouver posts. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the information you've contributed and it makes me feel much more confident about our upcoming move. So exciting, and scary!

Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 PM

550 posts, read 3,268,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrooks View Post
Thanks, diggitydot. I appreciate you sharing this info. And I want to thank you for all of your other posts - I just found this website and spent hours reading the Vancouver posts. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the information you've contributed and it makes me feel much more confident about our upcoming move. So exciting, and scary!
If you have any specific questions about the area, feel free to PM me. It's a great area and I love it! Can't wait to get back to the NW!

Old 02-24-2007, 11:00 PM

642 posts, read 2,557,513 times
It is a wonderful school! My sister was looking into the school for her son and it used to be you had to try out before being able to get in. I believe now you dont have to try out to get in. Its more about it being full that you need to apply. You must then work very hard on a specific art form. It is still a wonderful school but you apply as soon as you can and do whatever they ask to get in. I could be wrong about this it is what I remember wit the whole School of the Arts subject. Either way it is wonderful for dance I know that. When there is a kid in the paper for dance or possibly acting with a top role it seems always they are from the Vancouver School of the Arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area