Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 08:56 AM

467 posts, read 528,238 times

Advertisements

Two of our favorites off 164th are Tang's Wok and Pho Vi Van, both in the same little strip mall off McGilvrey. Haven't been since pre-pandemic days. Our favorite pizza/pasta place is La Sorretina, near the transit station. Truly remarkable food comes out of that kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 09:37 AM

467 posts, read 528,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
One of my wife's work colleagues posted facebook pictures of their dinner at Dos Alas not long ago. Seems like a pretty expensive special event sort of place with very upscale cocktails. But they seemed to like it. But I'm guessing it is more the sort of place where dinner for two is going to push 3 figures before all is said and done if you get drinks.

We generally stay over here on the east side of Vancouver (164th and east) with occasional forays into downtown Vancouver. I don't remember the last time we drove over to Portland to eat. It has been a while.

We have not ventured out "east" to 164th for dining in a while, but two of our favorites off 164th are Tang's Wok and Pho Vi Van, both in a small strip mall on McGilvrey. And our very favorite for pizza/pasta is La Sorrentina near the transit station. Don't overlook it.

I am not surprised to hear that Dos Alas is spendy. It seems tapas restaurants always are. Our kids gave us $100 gift certificate for the 2 of us to Ataula one year for Christmas. We spent that and way more. I think we only had wine. I am glad to hear of your friends' recommendation. I have cousins visiting from San Jose in October and it sounds like a place they would enjoy.

We have not driven to Portland to eat for a very long time, but since we have kids/grandkids there, we sometimes eat takeout from their local neighborhood eateries. They live near Multnomah Village, so the choices are very good. Another of the kids has moved to Hood River, so we have slowly been exploring eateries in that area. Again, young grandkids, so it limits us somewhat. A great place we have longed enjoyed is the Walking Man's Brewery in White Salmon.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:50 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,727,446 times
Hey Hiker-Biker, I haven't been on here for a while and just saw your post. I personally do a lot of the outdoor activities you are asking about. So, I'll give you a few more suggestions. I'll also have to make some assumptions not knowing your skill level at those things. So, I'll assume average - not a newbie /not advanced. You can certainly chime in with a more accurate description.

Kayaking the Columbia River - I do it year round. Well, actually I paddleboard. But kayakers paddle the same places we do. So, we're hitting the same best spots. The Columbia is an excellent place to paddle with a few caveats.

1. Know the best places to launch with the calmest waters and mildest currents. A few are:
- Cottonwood Beach
- Wintler Park
- Peach Beach
- Hayden Island: Go here for rentals - Alder Creek Kayak and Canoe

2. Know your limits and the conditions. Water temperatures, currents, wind, location, safety requirements (life jacket, leash in SUP'ing, Waterway Access and Aquatic Invasive Species permit if on Oregon side)

3. Don't go alone your first time if you can help it. I break this rule occasionally knowing my ability and the other variables including reading conditions. But most should not.

Also, consider kayaking Lacamas Lake for an nice easy, beautiful paddle destination. They have rental right at the lake. I paddle this lake weekly.

Lastly, Trillium Lake is well worth the drive and they also have rentals. The close up views of Mt. Hood are spectacular. Go early if you do. Its very popular.

The Oregon coast - Cannon Beach and its neighbor Ecola State Park are must sees. You really need to experience the beautiful, rugged PNW coast if you have not done so. And this is a great intro to it.

Our favorite beach to hang out and go surfing is Short Sands just south of Cannon Beach. The Bay in there is gorgeous and very popular. You need to get there early to get a decent parking spot.

Hiking - There are endless opportunities for this here with way too many to cover. As an avid hiker/backpacker I really don't know where to begin. There are entire books written about all the hiking trails in and around Vancouver/Portland. Waterfalls, lakes, rivers, mountains with amazing views, lush forests. I would google best hikes near Portland as well as check out some of the facebook hiking groups. You'll see some amazing photos.

Biking - This is the only one that might let you down a bit if you are into road biking. The streets generally are not very bike friendly. However, there are some decent mountain bike trails we've ridden. Round Lake trails next to Lacamas Lake is fun. Portland does have better biking options overall.

That's it for now. Enjoy your trip!

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-27-2021 at 12:01 AM..

Old 08-27-2021, 01:25 AM

220 posts, read 154,842 times
DUDE i just got into surfing and I've been ripping short sands!!!!

Old 08-27-2021, 10:28 AM

8,220 posts, read 16,727,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
DUDE i just got into surfing and I've been ripping short sands!!!!
Orca, congrats on learning to surf and enjoying the PNW coast. Short Sands is an awesome place to enjoy it that's for sure.

Derek

Old 08-27-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Orca, congrats on learning to surf and enjoying the PNW coast. Short Sands is an awesome place to enjoy it that's for sure.

Derek
Wanna go up there tomorrow?

I got 1 seat in my car and surfboard rack

Old 08-28-2021, 09:11 AM

64 posts, read 65,142 times
Quote:
Hey Hiker-Biker, I haven't been on here for a while and just saw your post. I personally do a lot of the outdoor activities you are asking about. So, I'll give you a few more suggestions. I'll also have to make some assumptions not knowing your skill level at those things. So, I'll assume average - not a newbie /not advanced. You can certainly chime in with a more accurate description.

Kayaking the Columbia River - I do it year round. Well, actually I paddleboard. But kayakers paddle the same places we do. So, we're hitting the same best spots. The Columbia is an excellent place to paddle with a few caveats.

1. Know the best places to launch with the calmest waters and mildest currents. A few are:
- Cottonwood Beach
- Wintler Park
- Peach Beach
- Hayden Island: Go here for rentals - Alder Creek Kayak and Canoe

2. Know your limits and the conditions. Water temperatures, currents, wind, location, safety requirements (life jacket, leash in SUP'ing, Waterway Access and Aquatic Invasive Species permit if on Oregon side)

3. Don't go alone your first time if you can help it. I break this rule occasionally knowing my ability and the other variables including reading conditions. But most should not.

Also, consider kayaking Lacamas Lake for an nice easy, beautiful paddle destination. They have rental right at the lake. I paddle this lake weekly.

Lastly, Trillium Lake is well worth the drive and they also have rentals. The close up views of Mt. Hood are spectacular. Go early if you do. Its very popular.

The Oregon coast - Cannon Beach and its neighbor Ecola State Park are must sees. You really need to experience the beautiful, rugged PNW coast if you have not done so. And this is a great intro to it.

Our favorite beach to hang out and go surfing is Short Sands just south of Cannon Beach. The Bay in there is gorgeous and very popular. You need to get there early to get a decent parking spot.

Hiking - There are endless opportunities for this here with way too many to cover. As an avid hiker/backpacker I really don't know where to begin. There are entire books written about all the hiking trails in and around Vancouver/Portland. Waterfalls, lakes, rivers, mountains with amazing views, lush forests. I would google best hikes near Portland as well as check out some of the facebook hiking groups. You'll see some amazing photos.

Biking - This is the only one that might let you down a bit if you are into road biking. The streets generally are not very bike friendly. However, there are some decent mountain bike trails we've ridden. Round Lake trails next to Lacamas Lake is fun. Portland does have better biking options overall.

That's it for now. Enjoy your trip!

Derek

Hi, Derek!

Appreciate the great suggestions that you provided. It's too bad we're only here for a week since there's so much to do! Thanks again!

H-B

Old 08-28-2021, 12:23 PM

You here rn? I'm about to head to shorties

Old 09-25-2021, 06:58 PM

368 posts, read 306,590 times
Quote:
Wouldn’t you only be able to break that rule once?

Old 09-25-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
Wouldn’t you only be able to break that rule once?
Nope there is definitely more than 1 area to go surfing! Try it something, I think you might like taking your mask off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area