Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times

Advertisements

Ridgefield HS is growing by about 100 students/year. It is close to 800 now and already overcrowded. Based on the number of new subdivisions and permitted developments, the Ridgefield area is projected to grow the fastest of any area in Clark County over the next decade so the schools will be struggling to keep up with the growth as they already are. They are pushing a big bond measure next month but it will take a lot of new construction to get caught up and ahead of the population growth.

Hockinson is about equivalent in size but more recently went on a school building spurt to isn't so far behind. The area is also more rural and doesn't seem to be growing as fast.

Camas is also growing but not at the same rate as Ridgefield and the area is already bigger and more mature so you don't see the sea of portable classrooms at every Camas school like you do in Ridgefield.

Some areas of Vancouver are also growing but the school systems are more built out and mature so isn't facing the same overcrowding issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:11 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
We looked at some new construction in Ridgefield before settling on Battle Ground. Ridgefield definitely has the bedroom community vibe where you'd have to plan to drive 20mins+ to get to many things.

Battle Ground is trying to hold on to its quaint rural roots but development is going at a break neck pace. You've got a Fred Meyer, Safeway, Albertson's, and a Walmart all within a mile or two of each other.

But this is still the car registration office. Just missing some saloon style doors. Which is nice, I've never seen a line of more than 1 person.

You still need to plan for that 20 minute drive to get into Portland/Vancouver but there are now a good number of things right in town.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 PM

19 posts, read 22,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
I had a chat with someone Ridgefield moms not too long ago. We also rent now because I can't decide where to buy. We got talking about schools. Ridgefield is growing but that is relatively recent growth. One mom had her son home for the holidays, freshman in college. He graduated from Ridgefield. They said that Ridgefield is small and close knit. most kids in the high school have known each other since preschool so a new kid will find it hard to make friends. No one will be rude or mean but don't expect any BFF action happening. Battleground is the same way to a degree.

Camas has a great school district but you will be keeping up with the Jones a lot more out there than any other area. Skyview interests me based on the successful kids in our neighborhood and interacting with them via the PTSA. The Vancouver SD never seems to have problems with funding (neither does Camas). Vancouver has a vote on 2/14 that will probably pass since it's just replacing some expiring bonds.

Renting in both Salmon Creek/ Felida or Camas should not be a problem. We pay $2000 for a 4 bedroom 2 bath rental. and utilities are much cheaper here than what we paid in our previous state.

High schools offer AP classes and Running start (where Jr's and Sr's take college courses tuition free). I am not familiar with the sports side of things but I do have a PTSA meeting on Tuesday. I can ask around for you.
This is the most perfect advice EVER!!! Thank you so much for all of this detail. I've been leaning towards Skyview and Union. Camas sounds amazing but yeah, we're trying to do a little less "keeping up."

Wondering if you could tell me what a commute might be from (is it East Vancouver?) to some really great dance studios I saw that are located in Camas? Most likely be in afternoon, after school. Thank you SO much!!!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:27 PM

Thank you SO much for the input - I feel huge relief already!

We will be working from home or opening a small, studio type office near our house, so the commute is not a problem.

Great advice on country home in summer vs winter - hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
I had a chat with someone Ridgefield moms not too long ago. We also rent now because I can't decide where to buy. We got talking about schools. Ridgefield is growing but that is relatively recent growth. One mom had her son home for the holidays, freshman in college. He graduated from Ridgefield. They said that Ridgefield is small and close knit. most kids in the high school have known each other since preschool so a new kid will find it hard to make friends. No one will be rude or mean but don't expect any BFF action happening. Battleground is the same way to a degree.

Camas has a great school district but you will be keeping up with the Jones a lot more out there than any other area. Skyview interests me based on the successful kids in our neighborhood and interacting with them via the PTSA. The Vancouver SD never seems to have problems with funding (neither does Camas). Vancouver has a vote on 2/14 that will probably pass since it's just replacing some expiring bonds.

Renting in both Salmon Creek/ Felida or Camas should not be a problem. We pay $2000 for a 4 bedroom 2 bath rental. and utilities are much cheaper here than what we paid in our previous state.

High schools offer AP classes and Running start (where Jr's and Sr's take college courses tuition free). I am not familiar with the sports side of things but I do have a PTSA meeting on Tuesday. I can ask around for you.
Oh and PS. If you are able, would you be so kind as to inquire about the gymnastics program at Skyview, while you are at your meeting? I've been stalking their Facebook page but would love some inside info. Thank you SO much!!!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waishome View Post
... My priority is my high school jr... we want a really great, close-knit high school for her that also has a pretty good gymnastics team, a somewhat rigorous academics program (AP courses, Honors, etc) and relatively good kids to hang out with. I'm a teeny bit concerned about the competition and/or potential for pretentiousness from a couple of schools but maybe I am wrong to have that opinion? ... We have 3 younger kids, too so we'd like to be in an overall good school district. We're very open to areas... we'd like a big yard and modest, safe neighborhood with (hopefully!) lots of kids and friendly neighbors. I would be so grateful for any advice, experience, preferences, etc. Thank you so much!
personally...(33+ yrs in area) I find Camas and Hockinson to be far superior (socially (for kids) and academically) than Ridgefield (pretentious++) but there are many 'good kids' / families in all areas and you DON'T HAVE to keep up with anyone

There are a LOT of 'local' kids in Camas / Hockinson with pretty conservative / academic / fine arts bent.
many area residents from ALL backgrounds and social levels, including PLENTY who have parents still working hourly shift work in local factories, as well as loggers / farmers / contractors... Camas DOES have a lot of Indian and Asian nationals, scientists, engineers, CEO's, ... BUT I do not find relationships difficult and none of that type play 'Keep Up'... they are ALL high achievers No need to 'keep-up', as they are LEADING! (and often care less about their 'status'). Yes, the pace can be staggering, BUT YOU do not have to run their race, just take care of your own!

Of course I am a proponent of Running Start, as it was superb for my kids and most of their peers. One of mine wanted to be in HS sports, so... they were (as well as each being Ski Instructors at Meadows during the weekdays, and working PT jobs other seasons). They only had to meet our one rule... Finish AA at the same time they graduate HS, so they could begin U as full jrs. (They had to pay their own way)

Their profs and edu at Clark was superb and equipped them with lifelong skills they truly appreciate today (10+ yrs AFTER graduation). They had some terrific adjunct military profs who demanded and delivered quality learning's. Math and Sciences are very strong, and a few kids we know were able to complete their med school very early thanks to RS. East Campus makes RS very EZ access to Camas.

My Hockinson sis' kids (3) did Hockinson HS as well as RS and performing in Portland Youth Orchestra and CYT. All are professionally employed, 2 w/ Phd (one a DR) and are very grateful to RS and Hockinson's strong focus on Academics, and 2 of 3 married very good Hockinson area LT friends. There are many Orthodox Lutherans and LDS in the district, so very strong values, but not segregation / peer destruction. (sis is neither) (this is ONE reason I so prefer RS, for those who move during HS... NO PEER issues, just get in and study / perform.

The several Gymnasts we had in our youth group (Camas) all competed through private clubs. (IIRC)

Commute! definitely give it a try before you BUY.

with a PDX commute of <20 min, 1 stoplight, and more than 1/2 of it multi-lane / 60 mph... I much prefer my commute over my sis in Hockinson. (lots of stops and 2 lane, curvy, dark...)

Ridgefield commute can be OK, but requires some traffic headaches and future growth / infrastructure challenges.

Be safe, take your time deciding, there is no PERFECT choice. (But there are a LOT of excellent choices!)

Old 01-20-2017, 12:56 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waishome View Post
My priority is my high school jr... we want a really great, close-knit high school ... We have 3 younger kids, too so we'd like to be in an overall good school district.
Most of the school districts in Vancouver and southern Washington are very good. Washougal, Ridgefield, Battle Ground, Salmon Creek, Felida, most parents in the U.S. would be envious to have their kids in these schools. But if your priority is school quality above all else -- and if you have four kids moving through the school system -- you need to give Camas a serious look. And maybe stretch just a little to afford Camas, even if it costs more for housing and taxes. Camas has an excellent school system, and you'll never second-guess your choice, at least concerning schools. The entire city has lots of interested parents, tons of families, and a robust tax base to support it all. It is an excellent, excellent place to raise a family -- one of the better areas in the United States, I would argue, given the Running Start program, abundant parks and recreation, somewhat-lower cost of living compared with other major coastal metros.

The other reason to consider Camas is convenience. It's close to most stores and shopping. It's close to the freeways. This makes it much easier to zip over to Portland during non-rush hour. (Morning and evening commute, forget it.) And it puts you close to the Portland airport. When there's no traffic, I've made it to PDX in under ten minutes (yes, speeding) from Camas. Hop on the 14, cross the river via 205, and the first or second first exit is Airport Way, and boom, you're at the airport. Fast and convenient.

If you want lots of property or acreage, animals, a more rural feel, or home price is paramount, go and buy further east or north. You won't go wrong, the entire area is beautiful. But if you want a city that is turnkey, with an easy and quiet suburban lifestyle and accessible amenities and excellent schools, got to look at Camas.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:05 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Ridgefield schools in the news today

Ridgefield school officials, residents say bond measure critical to future | The Columbian

Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Propaganda... (the fire / EMS / county services and libraries do the same whining.) (too much growth, not enough dollars... have any of THEM paid the Clark "Impact Fees" lately? (now up to $30k+ in some jurisdictions, but were ZERO 20 yrs ago when we also were also GROWING very fast.)

Maybe we will get a new mindset in USA EDU

and public schools as we know today (and for last 20+ yrs) will be NO MORE

1/2 of my $17k WA property taxes goes to schools (as it has for 40+ yrs) One of my TX districts reaps 70% for schools.

1) We personally didn't use the public schools, but we did contribute 12 - 20 hrs / week volunteer time for those stuck in that system.
2) More importantly... I frequently have to HIRE the output of our Public Education OMG, that is costly to businesses! (FAR in excess of wages)
3) Hire a few homeschooled kids to 'manage' those employees standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for instruction

It is really sad to experience the results of our USA EDU system. (sad for employers, students, USA)
Very, very different than the staff I have hired in Asia and Europe.

Great reminder / idea for OP to be sure to visit the tax assessor / tax voting / levy history of their chosen abode BEFORE laying down the $$. One of my properties is across the street from another. Tax rates (Levies) are 30% different. (Adjacent county to Clark).. My Clark County taxes are nearly 10x higher than adjacent county on same cost basis (due to levies, but more significant... the aggressiveness of assessor. Other county is reasonable and usually conservative, but... my Clark assessor / appraisal is very aggressive and not reasonable (I have tried to sell Clark Props for 1/2 assessed value and get NO offers). Taking assessor to court / Olympia makes them very aggressive for subsequent yrs A private residence will never win, but commercial properties allow enough options to productively fight assessments. Remember... your taxes will not be based on your purchase price, they are base on perceived and supported valuation. If the assessor thinks you bought under market price, you will be taxed accordingly.

Clark County 'price of admission'... some areas are reasonable, many are not.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Thank you all so much - this is great info! It does sound as if, while some schools are better than others, we won't go wrong pretty much anywhere, which is such a relief! And the tips on taxes, etc are invaluable. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area