Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM

19 posts, read 22,327 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I can see there have been many similar questions posted here and I apologize for the redundancy. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out where best to settle once we move to the Vancouver area in June. My priority is my high school jr... we want a really great, close-knit high school for her that also has a pretty good gymnastics team, a somewhat rigorous academics program (AP courses, Honors, etc) and relatively good kids to hang out with. I'm a teeny bit concerned about the competition and/or potential for pretentiousness from a couple of schools but maybe I am wrong to have that opinion? And of course, we may be priced out of some neighborhoods that have the more highly rated schools. Ridgefield HS seems wonderful but really small! Have heard great things about Union but test scores are a little concerning. Sky view looks great, too but oi! the rating! In regards to school ratings, they seem to really be all over the place and perhaps are not reflective of actual experience at the school? We have 3 younger kids, too so we'd like to be in an overall good school district. We're very open to areas... we'd like a big yard and modest, safe neighborhood with (hopefully!) lots of kids and friendly neighbors. I would be so grateful for any advice, experience, preferences, etc. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 11:33 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,868 times
What is your budget?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 PM

5,474 posts, read 7,769,272 times
It's not all about the test scores. Ridgefield is kind of behind the curve in terms of facilities. They had a bond measure defeated a few years ago and are now experiencing explosive growth and the schools are all overcrowded. There is a new bond measure for new school construction on the ballot in Feb but it will be a couple of years until the facilities get caught up with the population growth, assuming it passes. If it fails then all the Ridgefield schools will be a sea of portable classrooms for the near future.

Camas and the Vancouver schools are more caught up with school construction and won't have the overcrowding issues that Ridgefield faces in the near future.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
What is your budget?
Hi there! We REALLY REALLY want to stay around 400k but would like .5 to 1+ acre, so we're hoping to score a diamond in the rough! We'll be renting for a while when we first arrive so we were hoping to find a 4 bed/3 bath with a yard for under $2500.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It's not all about the test scores. Ridgefield is kind of behind the curve in terms of facilities. They had a bond measure defeated a few years ago and are now experiencing explosive growth and the schools are all overcrowded. There is a new bond measure for new school construction on the ballot in Feb but it will be a couple of years until the facilities get caught up with the population growth, assuming it passes. If it fails then all the Ridgefield schools will be a sea of portable classrooms for the near future.

Camas and the Vancouver schools are more caught up with school construction and won't have the overcrowding issues that Ridgefield faces in the near future.
Oh, so interesting! Ridgefield seems really up our alley but the high school seems so small (less than 700 kids, I think I read?) but if they are growing like crazy and don't have facilities, that gives me pause. I was reading in older posts, too, that shopping and other amenities can be a challenge in Ridgefield, too. Maybe that's a better option for buying in a few years?

Our oldest (almost 16) is having the most trouble accepting our move and so I am hoping to get her right into the activities she loves: gymnastics (thus the desire for a HS team), dance and aerial arts. I found some great studios in Camas and Washougal, but am unsure of the commute from Ridgefield or from East Vancouver. And because I have 3 younger ones to consider, I don't want to be in the car too much. I'm so confused!

Would you say Union HS is a good school, all things being considered?

Old 01-19-2017, 01:58 PM

17,342 posts, read 12,297,153 times
4 bed/3 bath on more than half an acre for 400k is going to be a challenge anywhere in the area much less the highly desirable Camas school district. The lot size especially is a big demand and you will likely need to compromise on that.

As examples here's the sort of thing that criteria turns up now.
1 in Washougal
743 I St, Washougal, WA 98671 | MLS #16293445 | Zillow

Two in Battle Ground, one being a short sale.
25033 NE 142nd Ave, Battle Ground, WA 98604 | MLS #16335877 | Zillow

29416 NE Hammond Ct, Battle Ground, WA 98604 | MLS #16105663 | Zillow

And one in Vancouver.
4906 NE 101st Cir, Vancouver, WA 98686 | MLS #17308970 | Zillow

Old 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Yeah, we're definitely going to have to get lucky... I've been perusing zillow and redfin for over a year and we've been chatting with a realtor. Homes are definitely going up and the big lots seem to be fewer and farther between. But, we're hoping to get up there, rent in a great neighborhood, good school district, not too rural area, wait until our oldest is on her way and then buy in a more rural area to live out the rest of our lives, happily ever after!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:49 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,868 times
I had a chat with someone Ridgefield moms not too long ago. We also rent now because I can't decide where to buy. We got talking about schools. Ridgefield is growing but that is relatively recent growth. One mom had her son home for the holidays, freshman in college. He graduated from Ridgefield. They said that Ridgefield is small and close knit. most kids in the high school have known each other since preschool so a new kid will find it hard to make friends. No one will be rude or mean but don't expect any BFF action happening. Battleground is the same way to a degree.

Camas has a great school district but you will be keeping up with the Jones a lot more out there than any other area. Skyview interests me based on the successful kids in our neighborhood and interacting with them via the PTSA. The Vancouver SD never seems to have problems with funding (neither does Camas). Vancouver has a vote on 2/14 that will probably pass since it's just replacing some expiring bonds.

Renting in both Salmon Creek/ Felida or Camas should not be a problem. We pay $2000 for a 4 bedroom 2 bath rental. and utilities are much cheaper here than what we paid in our previous state.

High schools offer AP classes and Running start (where Jr's and Sr's take college courses tuition free). I am not familiar with the sports side of things but I do have a PTSA meeting on Tuesday. I can ask around for you.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:55 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,947,400 times
I've lived in Ridgefield for about 6 months -no kids; but Ridgefield is great! There's always drawbacks on "small" towns; but there are a lot of transplants here in Ridgefield, which is nice so it's not "oh you're not local" attitudes, except for the few around town.. Ridgefield does have great schools, lots of involvement from the community and they do have a bond on the ballot for 2/14 for new school buildings that sounds like it will likely pass. I know a couple of teachers at the HS and they have nothing but good things to say as well. I have an awesome neighborhood - there's A TON of new development going into Ridgefield, so depending on what you're looking for you can most likely find it. $400k w/ the acreage is what will be the problem though. We initially were wanting a similar sized lot and are so glad we didn't! Have to keep in mind that out here in the country roads aren't maintained as well as other places (like the midwest) so what is a perfect looking house on a hill during the spring could be a nightmare in the winter! If you have any more specific questions about Ridgefield, feel free to PM me! I have friends with school age kids too.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:56 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,947,400 times
forgot to ask- where are you coming from and where will you be working? That will be a definite consideration as far as location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area