Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 AM

5,440 posts, read 7,733,177 times

Advertisements

Haven't spent enough time yet in the Vancouver area to really explore the restaurant options. The one local restaurant that my wife and I like enough to happily make return visits is Kop Chai, a little family-run Thai restaurant in downtown Camas. Which is pretty decent for a small neighborhood family-run type place. What I would like to know are the best Vancouver options for:

Indian food (especially lunch buffet places)
Mediterranean/Lebanese Food (Jerusalem Cafe I hear?)
Greek
Upscale Thai
Vietnamese (upscale or Pho)
Chinese
Breakfast cafe/bakery (something like Panera but not a chain?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM

467 posts, read 526,400 times
For Pho we stumbled upon a little run down place on 4th Plain, not too far from I5. It shared a parking lot with a car repair place. The pho was great, the atmosphere not so much. We even had the option to add pig blood cubes to the pho. We politely declined. Just a few doors down is Soryan Market, a good source for Asian groceries. I think the name if Pho Ton. Certainly not upscale. We recently found a newly opened Thai restaurant, also on 4th Plain that was very good.Thai Wok. For the most upscale Thai I would suggest Arawan or Thai Orchid. I keep striking out on Chinese. You can't beat Jerusalem Cafe for Mediterranean/Israeli food. I am looking forward to trying their Pita House in BG soon.

You will be living on the other side of the county from where I live, but I will drive anywhere for good food. I would like to try Kop Chai when I am in that neck of the woods.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 AM

379 posts, read 339,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Haven't spent enough time yet in the Vancouver area to really explore the restaurant options. The one local restaurant that my wife and I like enough to happily make return visits is Kop Chai, a little family-run Thai restaurant in downtown Camas. Which is pretty decent for a small neighborhood family-run type place. What I would like to know are the best Vancouver options for:

Indian food (especially lunch buffet places)
Mediterranean/Lebanese Food (Jerusalem Cafe I hear?)
Greek
Upscale Thai
Vietnamese (upscale or Pho)
Chinese
Breakfast cafe/bakery (something like Panera but not a chain?)
Chutney's Indian buffet is pretty good.
Not sure it qualifies as upscale, but Arawan is pretty good. Khun Jo definitely not upscale, but great.
There is no good Chinese food here.
Sugar and Salt is good for breakfast, also Mon Ami if you like crepes.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 AM

5,440 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
Chutney's Indian buffet is pretty good.
Not sure it qualifies as upscale, but Arawan is pretty good. Khun Jo definitely not upscale, but great.
There is no good Chinese food here.
Sugar and Salt is good for breakfast, also Mon Ami if you like crepes.
Thanks. As far as "upscale" I just mean that there are dozens of little local family-run Thai and Vietnamese places all over the place that are great for when you want take out or want to hop over for a quick dinner in your neighborhood. Often they are tucked away in suburban strip malls. But they typically aren't destination type places that one would drive across town for on a Friday night for a longer sit-down meal. I'm more curious about what kind of nice destination-type Asian places might be in the Vancouver area when one wants something fancier and more interesting and exotic than your friendly neighborhood Pad Thai, Green Chile, or Pho.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 AM

467 posts, read 526,400 times
I consider Arawan "upscale" for Thai. It is larger than most. It is in a strip mall, though a large strip mall. Yesterday we ate at Pita House in Battle Ground. Definitely not upscale, but very good. I had good gyro.

I am still looking for a great Chinese restaurant and a good steakhouse. I have not yet been to the restaurant in the Heathman. My best steak in the area was found at The Depot in Seaview on the Long Peninsula.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 PM

30 posts, read 34,105 times
Leonardo's Pizza is my favorite, their sausage is the best!
For Chinese, I like Great Taste at 8101 NE Parkway Dr, Vancouver, WA 98662. They are super friendly and don't mind making substitutions.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Steaks... TOUGH to get in PNW... (West coast Beef is generally terrible, similar to Hawaii beef) thus, several times / yr, I take cooler of PNW Salmon / Steehead to Colorado and Texas, and trade it for beef. 50lbs x2 flies free on SWA.

Since Beef and Brew left Hazel Dell.... (About 20 yrs ago...) Stuart Andersons Black Angus is the only steak spot I use in Vancouver, there are some nice specials / coupons. But... It is a chain... (With decent meat)

I get my pnw steak at Ringside East during happy hour.

BTW, Healthman is pretty decent place to eat, or to have catering done/.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
We are liking Kindee Thai for Thai food now. Its a little place wedged next to a Subway in a strip at Fourth Plain and 164th. They have a decent menu and specials. They also have good tea and brown rice.

I like their spring rolls. And other stuff.

We like to eat at Corbetts Fish House on 194th, near Costco. The menu is limited but adequate, and gluten free. Their fish and chips are good; I like the light breading. I also think highly of their blackened salmon and their house salad. DH likes the shrimp Louie and the oyster sandwich.

Has the menu at Khun Jo changed? I didn't care for the offerings there right after they opened.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:52 PM

12 posts, read 13,710 times
Abhiruchi off Chaklov is great Indian food. I've only been for dinner, so not sure if they have a lunch buffet, I think so though.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:34 PM

379 posts, read 339,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are liking Kindee Thai for Thai food now. Its a little place wedged next to a Subway in a strip at Fourth Plain and 164th. They have a decent menu and specials. They also have good tea and brown rice.

I like their spring rolls. And other stuff.

We like to eat at Corbetts Fish House on 194th, near Costco. The menu is limited but adequate, and gluten free. Their fish and chips are good; I like the light breading. I also think highly of their blackened salmon and their house salad. DH likes the shrimp Louie and the oyster sandwich.

Has the menu at Khun Jo changed? I didn't care for the offerings there right after they opened.
I think Khun Jo has the same menu still, though they had been open for quite a while before I went. It's certainly limited, but I really like the fried chicken with rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area