Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Why would anyone want to be all the way in Camas though?? Vancouver is at least close to a real city. Camas is close to a city that's close to a real city. Sorry, no thanks! Not everyone wants to live in Bumf&$@, Nowhere.
You know that Camas is closer to Portland than much of Vancouver right?

I spent my 20s thinking I could never live anywhere but NYC. I think you'll find as you mature you may want different things.

Last edited by hml1976; 05-20-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:45 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
I spent my 20s thinking LA was great until I was 28 and realized I hated it. But no I don't think being far from the action is ever going to sit well with me. One big reason I want to move to Vancouver is because downtown Portland is just too boring to pay such a massive cost of living premium so I'll pick up a second condo in Vegas in the next 3-4 years. Work and boredom up here, travel to Vegas for fun. Camas... We just aren't a fan. I'm sure it's nice - lots of nice homes. Not for us.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM

472 posts, read 526,190 times
floated by yesterday,... looking good!
Attached Thumbnails
Vancouver Waterfront Project - thoughts?-20171015_140710-1024x576-.jpg  

Old 10-16-2017, 11:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Why would anyone want to be all the way in Camas though?? Vancouver is at least close to a real city. Camas is close to a city that's close to a real city. Sorry, no thanks! Not everyone wants to live in Bumf&$@, Nowhere.
Camas is closer to most of Portland than Vancouver, especially where most of the newer housing is. So this comment makes no sense at all. And Camas is much closer to Portland International Airport -- I can make it to PDX in eight minutes, if there is (a) no traffic, and (b) speeding a bit on the 205. Hop on 14, over the bridge, first exit after the bridge, and you're at the airport.

If you don't like the suburbs, that's fine. But a lot of people live in Camas precisely because of its proximity to the airport, easy freeway access, and proximity to Portland, while having access to top-ranked schools.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:59 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
Seeing as how the bulk of modern day Vancouver lies in the eastern sector, it seems a bit optimistic to expect the waterfront project to connect to the more funky areas of the old downtown. I see it as an addition to the new norms of eastside architecture not to mention the obvious intent to create more un-affordable housing.

More riverfront bars, restaurants, hotels and mindless consumption boutiques will never be part of the old "couve" atmosphere. So, it will likely be another sterile place of high rents, high priced food and accommodations which have become the bane of so much of the suburban landscape. We really need a valid attempt to funnel money to the long standing problems associated with too high a commercial vacancy rate in our present downtown area before moving a few blocks away with a "new" Vancouver.

Continuity of architecture and ambiance is a must as small communities move forward in their attempts to create people friendly spaces, we need more art and music, more theater, and more open air markets, people pleasing stuff, and yes, all those things don't bring in the money like a shiny new hotels and restaurants full of passers through. So, who will be the real beneficiaries of the waterfront project? Certainly not the new arrivals here in Vancouver, many of whom are young and raising kids here, Vancouver's' leadership needs to take a good long look at their real future-- think families and fun stuff not just the money from a small slice of the populace..

Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
I apologize if this has been discussed, I could not find any info in my search.

I'm new to the area and I'm interested in what the locals think about this project. To me it looks amazing, and will bring the downtown/waterfrpmt area to life.

The Waterfront | Vancouver Washington USA

Logically, more building in an area that has high vacancies does not make sense. But I have seen this happen before and be very successful. Stockton Ca, had a run down river front area that no one but the unsavory would visit (way worse than our down town), until a developer went in a built a huge project like this. From that point on the down town became the new hot spot, with hotels, dining, entertainment, etc.

What do you think?
These proposals have been out there since the great recession, and all hopes pretty much died when the economy tanked. Today, with a better economy, the proposal is still hanging out there and there are a few investors. Chicken before the egg here. For this area to fully develop there needs to be a reason to live in downtown Vancouver. I understand there are new restaurants/bars in the area, but is that enough to convince developers to build dense housing?

That said, there has been some hope in some early construction: (2016)

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...r_waterfr.html

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-07-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 08:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Politicians, leaders, investors have never been too keen on THINKING / acting / DOING anything practical. In the big scheme, it will be the 'community' that lives in Vancouver who brings the life and benefit.

I consider there is enough room and need for both (and many more concepts / projects). I hope it works out for them, but it is a huge risk / undertaking. AFTER Camas superfund site is cleaned up and developed (2075?) Vancouver waterfront will suffer. Some one should have resurrected the OLD Jantzen Beach and both towns could ave prospered. (but City of Vancouver would again lose).

Someday I HOPE we have a 50m lap pool... 35yrs ago I provided the city with plans, financing strategies, and examples of community centers we had funded and built in my previous state. (library, city services, seniors, sports, REAL pools (for swimming not splashing), and indoor jogging / health center + classrooms for Community ed and teaching kitchen for family nutrition training. ... My employer donated 10+ acres for the project (Community Center), then... the local healthclubs fought and went ballistic so City of Vancouver backed out.(healthclubs all went broke, and we still don't have a comprehensive community center (where you can affordably join AND swim... not splash))

I will just need to keep driving to Beaverton for a 50m pool...

Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Vancouver, and Washington State need to come to grips how to deal with the Interstate Bridge controversy. While the States argue about light rail crossing the bridge, it continues to be Portland's biggest bottleneck with backups nearly 100% of the time during rush hour. I don't know who is correct here...OR wants WA to pay for a light rail connection, WA doesn't want any part of it, even though the mayor of Vancouver was in favor. In the meantime, nothing is getting done with this connection. Compromise? Maybe, but I am not hopeful.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:36 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times
Quote:
it continues to be Portland's biggest bottleneck with backups nearly 100% of the time during rush hour.

I take it you've never heard of "Delta Park" or "the Rose Garden", have you? Look them up.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Vancouver, and Washington State need to come to grips how to deal with the Interstate Bridge controversy. While the States argue about light rail crossing the bridge, it continues to be Portland's biggest bottleneck with backups nearly 100% of the time during rush hour. I don't know who is correct here...OR wants WA to pay for a light rail connection, WA doesn't want any part of it, even though the mayor of Vancouver was in favor. In the meantime, nothing is getting done with this connection. Compromise? Maybe, but I am not hopeful.
well.... Metro (OR transit) muffed up by running a street level s-l-o-w and dangerous "interstate line" to Delta Park (North terminus) (Vs a dedicated FAST and safe rail as in I-84 and I-205 routes). So IF you cross I-5 on MAX, then you will have a 'non-safe' 40 minute ride to downtown Portland (or you can drive it in 7 minutes). i.e. you CANNOT carry the needed passenger traffic on Max Interstate line to make it a viable mass transit solution. It won't work.

Oregon can redo the north "interstate") line, (elevate / tunnel / segregate from street traffic) or... run MAX access over I-205 (more reasonable and probably FASTER to Downtown Portland (from Vancouver)) But... City of Vancouver mayor would then have a FIT... (Leaving the "city core" out of the MAX transit mode.)

So... it will likely ONLY work when WA DOT (in partnership with Vancouver and Clark County) decide to fund a Light Rail equivalent Loop (including I-5 (later)and I-205 (Now))

Complicated, but really should be done RIGHT or not at all.
<20 min from Downtown Vancouver to downtown Portland...
<30 min Salmon Creek to downtown Portland
<40 min from Battleground to downtown Portland...
< 30 min Camas to Downtown Portland

very possible, but not for free and certainly not even possible if using existing North Interstate MAX route.

Oregon needs to 'fix-it' first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area