Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:10 PM

550 posts, read 3,269,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinnorth View Post
Thanks for the good info Diggitydot. Sounds kinda like where I live - a patchwork of good and bad areas.Its also reassuring to read a favorable review of the traffic situation up there.The taxes don't sound too bad either, because here in the Dallas area we have an 8.25% sales tax and several toll road propositios (on roads already in the process of being paid for by means other than tolls!).

Oh yeah,I'm going to try that Mexican restaurant.
After living in Phoenix for a few years the traffic in SW WA and into Portland doesn't seem like much of a hassle. (Phoenix traffic is horrible.) I guess it's all based on perspective.

That's one nice thing about WA and OR, tolls are pretty rare. Mainly only over privately owned bridges like the ones connecting WA and OR at Cascade Locks or in Astoria so it comes as a surprise to most people not familiar with them.

And you should love that restaurant. I have friends who live in Portland and Salmon Creek, (far NW edge of Vancouver), who always want to meet up there when we're in town. I sometimes think they use us coming into town as an excuse to eat there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 10:36 PM

63 posts, read 365,722 times
Default Mexican food in Camas

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
One of the best Mexican restaurants in the county is located in Washougal. Los Dos Compadres
Oh my gosh, you are not kiddin'! We were up there this past weekend looking at property and found this place and were stunned at how good it was. I live in San Jose, CA and we have some GOOOOOD mexican food to compare to.

But I would say that if you go there, only order one plate of food for two people cause they are HUGE!! You will make youself sick even trying to finish half of your plate!

Karol

Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpeake View Post
Oh my gosh, you are not kiddin'! We were up there this past weekend looking at property and found this place and were stunned at how good it was. I live in San Jose, CA and we have some GOOOOOD mexican food to compare to.

But I would say that if you go there, only order one plate of food for two people cause they are HUGE!! You will make youself sick even trying to finish half of your plate!

Karol
Oh, definitely! Their portions are INSANELY huge. (So are their margaritas, too!)

Old 10-21-2006, 07:33 AM

694 posts, read 2,654,666 times
Definitely checking out that Mexican restaurant
when we come up for a looksee after the holidays.
Would love to know if ther are any of those old large
Catholic church's (my wife loves to visit the missions).

Old 10-21-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Definitely checking out that Mexican restaurant
when we come up for a looksee after the holidays.
Would love to know if ther are any of those old large
Catholic church's (my wife loves to visit the missions).
You won't see "missions" like you do in the southwest. There are lots of older churches, but very few that are similar to the old missions in the desert. Probably one of the oldest Catholic buildings in Clark County would be the old Academy building in downtown Vancouver. It was built by Mother Joseph during the late 1800's as a girls' boarding school.

Most of the historic stuff in Vancouver is found near Ft. Vancouver National Historic site. Most, but certainly not all. Here's a link with some good info on it: [url]http://www.nps.gov/fova/[url]

Old 10-21-2006, 09:04 PM

Thanks Diggity Dot,
Being museum rats/history lovers, that looks really cool.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks Diggity Dot,
Being museum rats/history lovers, that looks really cool.
Same here. I used to volunteer at Ft. Vancouver when I was a teenager and I loved every minute of it! Okay, well...almost every minute of it. When we dressed up in period costumes I had to dance with old men in kilts. Not the most fun "dance" for a 16 y/o girl.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:40 PM

eeewww (I had to do the polka in the 70's)

Old 10-22-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
eeewww (I had to do the polka in the 70's)
Okay, you win...

Old 10-28-2006, 10:53 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,992,974 times
Default Another look from Texas

My wife and I are spending time looking at various areas we may want to settle down in retirement in the next year or so (we are in our 50’s so no need for an old folks home). I am sure I want to move out of Dallas so we have considered a number of places looking at climate, taxes, housing, local infrastructure, and just the general quality of life.

Currently have a trip scheduled to look at the Vancouver area. Best fit for us would be a townhouse (200 – 400K) with a full two car garage within 30 miles or so of Portland… staying in Washington for the tax structure. We have been to Portland a couple of times in the past but never looking with an eye to settle so this will be a different perspective.

Open to any comments or suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area