Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:19 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times

Advertisements

The "box haulers" (UPS, Fedex, etc) often use the cross-wind runway, which goes right over Cascade Park and the western edge of Camas. That used to be how I knew what the weather was before I even woke up - the 4am UPS flight on the cross-wind runway.

Use Google maps to look at the airport and follow the path of the runway back.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:19 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Camas is north of the airport. The runways all go east-west so basically planes will never fly over Camas when on runway approach. They come in along the south side of the Columbia River. Camas is also too close to the airport to get planes circling as it is too close to the airport and well inside the turning circle of most planes. So basically there is no reason to ever get low flying jet planes directly over Camas unless they are seriously off course. From Prune Hill you can see them landing along the Columbia but they are never over head.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:02 AM

77 posts, read 62,004 times
cdelena, can you please be more specific about where in the north western part of Vancouver? Thanks!

Old 04-20-2018, 08:48 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
cdelena, can you please be more specific about where in the north western part of Vancouver? Thanks!
The area with the flight noise I was referring to (downwind leg maybe 40% of the time) is west of I5 and north of the greenbelt (so about the 130th St line), with most impact west (toward Felida) as plane altitude drops.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
The cross wind runway flight pattern (from the north) is to swing out to the east end of the "valley," headed out toward Silver Star, then circle in to runway alignment. The noise part comes in as the planes drop over the Columbia Ridge down to the airport. It has also been used when they are doing work on the main runways, but only certain planes are small enough to use it.

But it IS only the crosswind runway, used most during the winter or higher wind times, and it is usually just the cargo jets using it. Part of it is that the atmospheric conditions are conducive to noise transmissions then, particularly when the planes drop below the cloud ceiling. From Cascade Park, every now and then you could actually hear Troutdale.

The thing I really missed is that you used to know it was spring by the biplanes taking off from Evergreen Airport, back before it closed. The radial engines make a very distinctive noise.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-20-2018, 12:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
yes... we had a lot more aircraft noise when living near 78th st and I-5 (Hazel Dell) / turning point for inbound flights. Than when living in Camas, or Washougal (higher flights / upwind of noise)

I can lay in bed on Friday and Sunday nights and watch up to 6 inbound PDX flights (at any given time) coming westbound near Mt Hood, but I don't hear them. I do get a tad background noise from the Tugs and Trains during summers when the windows are open.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 PM

77 posts, read 62,004 times
Thank you, cdelena, PNW, and Stealth... it's helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area