Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:16 PM

702 posts, read 1,987,374 times

Advertisements

OK thanks yeah he said they had a ONE late opening. All I know is I don't drive in snow so I guess my son will be missing school since he is attending an out of boundary school. I dont trust bus drivers so I would have been driving him to his regular school anyhoo

Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,506,557 times
I remember only having one snow day in 27 years when i lived in Utah. Here in Oklahoma they close with the slight drop of snow. I think it is because they dont have the equipment to snow plow. Ice storms they close school too. I think schools closed 10 times this past winter.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,964,837 times
Yeah it takes a lot of snow to declare a snow day.

SLC isn't so bad as some of the smaller towns for those who are non-lds. SLC is becoming more diverse, but if you go to the smaller towns they are still for the most part predominantly lds.

I'm not of any religion, and I've lived all over this country. I've actually found SLC the easiest place for me to make friends. Very friendly. The worst? Houston. Southern hospitality my arse! Not too far from the 'bible belt' and mega churches all over, but they were the rudest people I've ever dealt with on a whole.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:25 PM

702 posts, read 1,987,374 times
But I never thought of Texas as the Southern Hospitality...i thought that was only like the Carolinas and down...not sure though

Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 AM

401 posts, read 856,615 times
I have learned that anywhere you go now-a-days, there seems to be some form of rudeness. Unfortunately, it is part of society now.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 AM

I cannot wait until the real estate market starts to get better!!! That is the other main reason holding us up from being able to live out west. The only other hope is that work would send us out west.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM

550 posts, read 2,172,655 times
Being Catholic, you will have no problem. Employers choosing LDS people first is BS; they don't inquire about your religion at a job interview. I've had two Catholic teachers in public schools and religion is not a factor. Same in the schools, I am non-LDS and when I was in school my religion was never a factor. With that said, stay in the Wasatch Front and especially Salt Lake County.

Traffic will be worse in Davis County, especially if you have to commute to Salt Lake. You only have four points connecting the two areas: SR 68, US 89, I-15 and I-215. Everyone uses the latter two so it's almost always congested during rush hour. However, Legacy Parkway will open in September to alleviate that problem. Oh yeah, they also built commuter rail linking the two points.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks Lmejh. I am glad to hear what you said.
My brother is worried that I will have a hard time a job, as far as moving up and/or annual raises.
Do you know anybody that works in the Information Technology area or could point me in the right direction as far as to what companies I should take a look at?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:30 PM

19 posts, read 34,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yeah it takes a lot of snow to declare a snow day.

SLC isn't so bad as some of the smaller towns for those who are non-lds. SLC is becoming more diverse, but if you go to the smaller towns they are still for the most part predominantly lds.

I'm not of any religion, and I've lived all over this country. I've actually found SLC the easiest place for me to make friends. Very friendly. The worst? Houston. Southern hospitality my arse! Not too far from the 'bible belt' and mega churches all over, but they were the rudest people I've ever dealt with on a whole.
That's hilarious! I love broad generalizations. Houstonians are the rudest people in the world! I don't know what you base that on, but it sounds like it could be for religious or political reasons based on the fact you mentioned the bible belt. I'm from small town Texas living in SLC and spent a few years in Houston and without any hesitation I would consider it the finest large city on the planet.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 AM

Stretchtex,

Where in Utah are you living? how do you like living in Utah?
Do you have children? If so, how have they been treated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah