Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times

Advertisements

Utah is a wonderful place and I agree it is not just religion it is totally a way of life. I can't wait to get back there.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 7,794 times
Ha ha... I know I'm weird, but I hate Utah summers. Just too hot. I try to get out and finish exercising before 8am, because that's the only time I want to be outside! At first I, too, was excited about the "dry heat" thing, but quickly became disillusioned when I suddenly found myself with an excema problem, chronic bloody noses... I don't really want to know how much money I spend running humidifiers and buying moisturizers. You're right, Kaytidid, no place is perfect. Wherever you move you're just trading some problems for others. After 5 years my conclusion is I prefer the problems of a more Nordic climate.

On the bright side, last year we had our first baby, and when my pregnancy became complicated and high risk I was extremely grateful to be in SLC with so many experienced doctors, big hospitals with their big NICUs... I definitely would not have wanted to be in a small town, no matter how fresh the air! (If anyone needs an OBGYN, I can recommend 2 excellent ones.)

Weasy--I love the Dimple Dell area! I used to take riding lessons there. Lots of horse people. But I suspect it would take more than 20 minutes to get to the airport, esp. if it's the wrong time of day. Unless there is some creative route other than the two I know about, it takes awhile just to get to the Interstate from there.

One bright spot I found that I will miss very much when we leave SLC, but definitely not a good enough reason to stay, is University of Utah Gymnastics! For a die-hard fan of such an obscure sport, it's been amazing to join the 10,000+ crowd in the Huntsman Center every winter. They are a very loyal, sophisticated, impressively sportsmanlike group of people.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotanAbroad View Post
One bright spot I found that I will miss very much when we leave SLC, but definitely not a good enough reason to stay, is University of Utah Gymnastics! For a die-hard fan of such an obscure sport, it's been amazing to join the 10,000+ crowd in the Huntsman Center every winter. They are a very loyal, sophisticated, impressively sportsmanlike group of people.
Don't you just LOVE them? We have purchased season tickets on and off for the past few years. They are the ONLY bright spot in my Utah winters!! We started going when my oldest was a competitive gymnast. She has since stopped, but I still love watching and rooting for them!!

Hey, Utah summers aren't for everyone. It's what makes the world turn!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:40 PM

119 posts, read 585,672 times
I'm a transplant to utah. We moved here a little over a year ago! I don't live in the Salt Lake City area, so I doubt I will have the same complains, etc as most of you! I can't actually think of any right now! I love it here!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM

I love U of U gymnastics.......they have always been awesome! I miss being able to go and see them.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:12 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,271 times
I actually asked my doctor why they had the religion question on their registration form, because it bothered me (and I'm LDS in Utah, so it's not like I was feeling marginalized, lol). He said it was so they would be aware of any religious restrictions or needs the patient might have. I imagine it would affect everything from medications and dietary needs to contacting religious leaders (a priest or bishop) in an emergency.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
I actually asked my doctor why they had the religion question on their registration form, because it bothered me (and I'm LDS in Utah, so it's not like I was feeling marginalized, lol). He said it was so they would be aware of any religious restrictions or needs the patient might have. I imagine it would affect everything from medications and dietary needs to contacting religious leaders (a priest or bishop) in an emergency.

I think you are right about that. For instance jehovah witness and blood transfusions. I think that is against their religion

Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
Heh. My husband said the same thing when I came home from work. I tend to be a bit sensitive to religion, since it is so present here, and to be honest, I am not used to such religious communities. Not a bad thing, mind you. I am just not used to it. And, in the four states I have lived in, I never had to answer that question. Not saying it does not happen elsewhere, but I do admit that I thought it was asked because religion is so prevalent here.

So to share another story. All of my neighbors in my four-plex are LDS, we are the only non-religions/atheist, however we have had some great conversations about religion, and it is similar to my experience with my LDS friends in my last workplace in DC (I like discussing learning about religion). We definitely live our lives differently, but we all hang out and invite eachother over for dinner.. one of our neighbors just cooked us a "Utah" dinner - with the "funeral potatos" , jello and a honey-backed ham. (mmmmm. I love my neighbors).

All the wives in my fourplex make me realize how un-domestic I am.

I am truly afraid for the day I move into a neighborhood with a HOA - they will hate me. LOL.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
OK. I am not LDS, but I have to say that my whole family LOVES funeral potatoes. I guess that's why I like living here, I love learning about different religions, cultures, ect. Lots to learn in Utah!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM

119 posts, read 585,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
OK. I am not LDS, but I have to say that my whole family LOVES funeral potatoes. I guess that's why I like living here, I love learning about different religions, cultures, ect. Lots to learn in Utah!
My family does too! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah