Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times

Advertisements

The 2015 FBI Known Offenses tables came out last week. I haven't seen much analysis of the data from Utah yet, so I thought I'd put some together for people to poke around at. Anyway, the data can be seen here:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._city_2015.xls

I did some basic rate calculations and sorting to give you the safest and most dangerous cities in Utah, during 2015.

Highest Violent Crime Rates

Lowest Violent Crime Rates

Highest Murder Rates

Notes:
  • "North Park" is the combined police department for North Logan and Hyde Park.
  • I removed cities with populations below 1,000 because the rates can (and are) unrealistic.
  • Only 17 Utah cities reported murders in 2015.
  • Obviously not all departments report statistics to the FBI, or even have their own police force, so please don't think this list is all inclusive. A notable omission from these is any city which is covered by the Unified Police Department. UPD doesn't report statistics to the FBI, so their database gives no information on towns which would almost certainly show up in the top 25 (or top 10) most violent - like Magna, Midvale, Millcreek, Taylorsville, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 02:51 PM

93 posts, read 95,891 times
Thank you for posting!

Old 03-24-2017, 07:48 AM

29 posts, read 43,523 times
I have been reading a lot of Utah news lately. Utah is getting more dangerous. Even places like Logan are getting more dangerous. There is a lot of gang activity in South Salt Lake...and getting into Provo/Orem corridor. I went to college in Provo and all the crime I ever heard about then was around Ogden. Ogden has had it rough for many years. Now, violent crimes are all over the state. I just read about a girl being shot in the head around Logan...from a snapchat incident. Incredible! I had thought of retiring to Utah at some point but over the years, it isn't as attractive to me due to the crime. Also, the last time I was there, Salt Lake had a huge inversion going on that just made me think of LA in the 80's.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:10 AM

914 posts, read 973,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedeagle View Post
I have been reading a lot of Utah news lately. Utah is getting more dangerous. Even places like Logan are getting more dangerous. There is a lot of gang activity in South Salt Lake...and getting into Provo/Orem corridor. I went to college in Provo and all the crime I ever heard about then was around Ogden. Ogden has had it rough for many years. Now, violent crimes are all over the state. I just read about a girl being shot in the head around Logan...from a snapchat incident. Incredible! I had thought of retiring to Utah at some point but over the years, it isn't as attractive to me due to the crime. Also, the last time I was there, Salt Lake had a huge inversion going on that just made me think of LA in the 80's.

Crime is everywhere unless youi live on an Island alone, Utah is still alot safer than most places, its just people living there don't experience it as much so its a shock when it happens

Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
The girl that was shot was due to a couple of classmates who decided they wanted to "get rid of her". While certainly not less tragic, she was targeted and it wasn't just a random shooting.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:53 AM

29 posts, read 43,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
The girl that was shot was due to a couple of classmates who decided they wanted to "get rid of her". While certainly not less tragic, she was targeted and it wasn't just a random shooting.
'

That makes it better on crime? The fact that someone is a target and not the random drive by? It's still crime. There is still a root cause.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedeagle View Post
'

That makes it better on crime? The fact that someone is a target and not the random drive by? It's still crime. There is still a root cause.
Look, violent crime is everywhere in every state in this country. That's just life.

What is important is where your state stands among all the other states. This article indicates that as of 2016 that Utah had the 43rd lowest violent crime rate out of all fifty states.

Another factor that is important to consider is that violent crime rates have gone way down since 1994. Violent crime in America is less than one-half the rate per 100,000 people than it was in 1994.

I think people get very worked up about violent crime and I do agree that even one murder is one too many. However, when you consider other states, Utah is a pretty safe place to live. This is particularly true if you stay away from the inner cities.

Sometimes, I think its a shame we have so many shows about crime on television. It causes many people to experience excessive fear and paranoia that is often unjustified. If you watch shows like Dateline or the Crime Channel pay attention to the date that some of these crimes were committed. Often, the crime occurred ten or more years ago. I think they do this because even in a country our size there is a limit to just how much material they can find for shows like these.

The links below tell this story better than I can.

Violent Crime Rate By State - WorldAtlas.com

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/a...on-crime-rates

Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM

914 posts, read 973,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Look, violent crime is everywhere in every state in this country. That's just life.

What is important is where your state stands among all the other states. This article indicates that as of 2016 that Utah had the 43rd lowest violent crime rate out of all fifty states.

Another factor that is important to consider is that violent crime rates have gone way down since 1994. Violent crime in America is less than one-half the rate per 100,000 people than it was in 1994.

I think people get very worked up about violent crime and I do agree that even one murder is one too many. However, when you consider other states, Utah is a pretty safe place to live. This is particularly true if you stay away from the inner cities.

Sometimes, I think its a shame we have so many shows about crime on television. It causes many people to experience excessive fear and paranoia that is often unjustified. If you watch shows like Dateline or the Crime Channel pay attention to the date that some of these crimes were committed. Often, the crime occurred ten or more years ago. I think they do this because even in a country our size there is a limit to just how much material they can find for shows like these.

The links below tell this story better than I can.

Violent Crime Rate By State - WorldAtlas.com

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/a...on-crime-rates
I agree and if kids get hold of guns then that's a whole other issue as they should be locked away and parental responsibility is at fault there!

Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Is Provo considered part of Orem in the chart? Been a while since I've lived in Utah. LOL at Fountain Green even being of the chart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah