Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 28,727 times

Advertisements

Husband is considering a transfer to Vernal. We are a mixed-race couple with three children (Ages 1, 2 and 7). We currently live in an even smaller town than Vernal in the middle of nowhere (nearest "city" is 3hrs), and I'm frustrated with the lack of simple things such as preschool, quality medical care (mostly due to lack of providers/services), basic shopping (not looking for a mall), lack of outdoor activities/parks (this is a prairie town), lack of diversity, and over-the-top cost of living ($2000/mo for a 2bd apartment).

From what I've read Vernal seems to be better in most of these areas than our current situation, but I would like some input from local residents.

What are schools like? Are there preschools? What is shopping like? Housing/cost of living? How about diversity (I'm not expecting the diversity of a bigger city, but hopefully more than a town full of locals who have never seen what life is like beyond the hill)?

Looking forward to hearing your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,897 times
I spent about 3 months living/working in Vernal in 2013 and it's an all right town. I personally wouldn't move there as it's too far from everything, but based on what you say I think you may like it.

First, it's a resource boom town. Oil and phosphate really move the economy there. Because of this it's more expensive than you'd expect a metro of 15,000 people. 3-4 BR houses probably start around 200k. Rent for a house like that maybe $1,200? Because so many people travel there for business there is no shortage of restaurants, all the way from chain fast food to expensive steakhouses. Seriously, there's probably 30+ restaurants in Vernal. Motels are absurdly expensive though - like $150 a night for a Best Western.

Preschools exist and overall it's probably a pretty good place to raise a family. There are museums and parks all around. Dinosaurs are a pretty big deal there because of how rich the area is in fossils. Crime rate in Vernal is one of the higher ones in Utah, but... that's like being one of the dumber students at Harvard. Shopping is.. not that great, but maybe good enough. There are a couple of grocery stores and a Wal-Mart. Downtown Vernal has some nice little ma & pa stores. As for a mall I think Provo would be the closest and that's about 3 hours. Vernal does have a lack of diversity. The oil boom brings in a little diversity, but not much - though I did see some polygamist Mormons in Walmart once, (Most Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore, just some of the smaller sects)... so that's kind of like diversity...? I guess?

It's not a bad little town. If you hate where you are now, Vernal might be a nice change.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondwahine View Post
Husband is considering a transfer to Vernal. We are a mixed-race couple with three children (Ages 1, 2 and 7). We currently live in an even smaller town than Vernal in the middle of nowhere (nearest "city" is 3hrs), and I'm frustrated with the lack of simple things such as preschool, quality medical care (mostly due to lack of providers/services), basic shopping (not looking for a mall), lack of outdoor activities/parks (this is a prairie town), lack of diversity, and over-the-top cost of living ($2000/mo for a 2bd apartment).

From what I've read Vernal seems to be better in most of these areas than our current situation, but I would like some input from local residents.

What are schools like? Are there preschools? What is shopping like? Housing/cost of living? How about diversity (I'm not expecting the diversity of a bigger city, but hopefully more than a town full of locals who have never seen what life is like beyond the hill)?

Looking forward to hearing your responses!
Overall, I don't think Vernal is a bad place to live. However, based on the particular questions that you ask I would have some concerns about moving there.

1. There is little diversity in the community. Its mostly white people. The energy boom has brought some diversity to the community, but it can largely be described as white and Mormon.

2. As Geo Aggie pointed out, the nearest big city is three hours away over Highway 40 which is mostly a two lane road. In the winter, you aren't going to want to make that trip either. The trip through Daniel's Canyon can be quite treacherous. I made the same trip once in the winter and almost lost control of a four wheel drive vehicle on ice that accumulated on the road.

3. I can't speak to preschools. I'm sure some exist. They may or may not be what you want.

4. Medical care and a hospital exist in Vernal. However, keep in mind the entire population of Vernal in 2013 was 10,000 people. The medical care available will be limited. If you don't like the particular doctors you find you will not have many choices.

5. As far as shopping goes there is a Walmart in town. If that's enough for you than shopping will probably be acceptable.

6. Outdoor activities are a bright spot. Dinosaur National Monument and the Cleveland Dinosaur Quarry are nearby. There are some sights on or near the Green River worth seeing. If you boat, Flaming Gorge Reservoir is north of Vernal in Daggett County.

7. I'm sure the schools are like most schools in Utah. That means they are underfunded and overcrowded, but tend to deliver either average or above average results compared to schools in other states.

In essence, its a small town in a beautiful location that is sort of out in the middle of nowhere (which you say can relate too) It still maybe quite an adjustment for you. You ought to at least visit it before making a decision to move there.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 PM

18 posts, read 20,208 times
Default Retirement in Vernal

Is Vernal a good place to retire if you don't need to work?
Thank you

Old 03-10-2019, 05:57 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttowns View Post
Is Vernal a good place to retire if you don't need to work?
Thank you
1. Please start a new thread on your topic.
2. Please also describe what you're looking for. How else can we possibly offer meaningful advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah