Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 PM

8 posts, read 30,960 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for any advice on a potential move to Utah and living in either SLC (Avenues, Sugar House, etc) or the Summit Park area of Park City (or any Park City area that is somewhat affordable). I will be working out of the Airport as a pilot, so I will only be traveling to and from the airport about four times a month. I'm a huge skier, cyclist and outdoor guy and am married with two young children who are not yet school age. We are not LDS. I have read through many of the forums and my question is where is the best place to live for our kids to have a normal life.

By normal, I mean that we will be getting them involved in as many activities as possible, to include ski team, swim team, and all the school sports and activities we can. I have read some threads that non-LDS children have the potential to be looked down upon, bullied, and treated differently because of their lack of being LDS. That's obviously what I'm trying to avoid. This is why I'm considering the areas I am. A move isn't necessary but more of a want for us to be close to work and live in such a beautiful place with so many things to do...is it worth it, with respect for our children's upbringing and happiness, or not?

If cost of living isn't a consideration, which would you recommend between the two areas...SLC proper or the Park City area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
MY neighbor in Sugar House had a son who I watched from age 6 to 18 grow into a friendly kid with lots of friends. Non-LDS but some of his friends were LDS and went on missions last Fall when he started college. That's only one anecdotal story but I think it is indicative of what you can experience. My block was perhaps 50-60% LDS and mostly older people. His friends were all from school. We had an annual block party with most people coming so I know there weren't many kids until the later years as us older folks died out.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks SouthernBelle. I've searched through these forums a lot looking for good experiences raising kids and this is the kind of stuff I am hoping to hear.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,977,247 times
We are non LDS. My daughters were born and brought up here and have friends of all religions; many LDS, some Catholic (like us), some Atheist. It really has been a non issue for us.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:25 PM

Thanks Katyidid, I appreciate the response! What part of town do you live in?

What can you tell me about living and raising a family in the Summit Park area of Park City? In your opinion, how would that contrast to living and raising a family in SLC proper?

Random question...are there ski teams run through school's or is it all through the resorts/ski areas themselves?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 PM

We used to live in the greater Salt Lake area, but moved Tooele County when my kids were fairly young. I am afraid I couldn't tell you too much about family life in Park City as Summit County is a bit too rich for my pocketbook For what it is worth- I have read numerous times that drugs are a bit more prevalent in the high schools in that area. Just hearsay, of course, but worth checking into.

Ski Barbie is a regular on this board who used to live in Park City, but now lives in the Salt Lake area. She might be a good one to DM with questions.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM

28,101 posts, read 29,992,707 times
I would seriously look into Cottonwood Heights, if I were you. Of anywhere in the Salt Lake City area, it has the best access to the canyons. It is situated right in between Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon, where you have four world-class ski resorts. I'm not a skiier, but from my house to any of these resorts, it would be no more than a 15-minute drive. From Cottonwood Heights to Park City, it's about a 30 minute drive. And I worked for years very close to the airport. It took me 25 minutes to get to work.

Also, in Cottonwood Heights, there is the Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center. It has an indoor and and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, an ice skating rink. Seriously, it has everything imaginable. The center is beautiful and well-maintained. Swimming, hockey, and skiing are big in this area. I seriously can't think of a better part of the Salt Lake City area for kids to grow up with sports and recreational activities.

Also check out the wiki article on Cottonwood Heights. I'm a native Utahn, a retired computer software developer, who has lived in many parts of the city: from east Sugarhouse, to West Valley City, to Murray, to Harvard-Yale, and to Cottonwood Heights. We've been in Cottonwood Heights for 32 years and it's my favorite part of the city. (Cottonwood Heights is actually technically a city itself.)

Lastly, I have a friend here who is a realtor. She told me once that Cottonwood Heights is considered to be a very non-LDS friendly area to live. She indicated that this was "off the record" since realtors don't ever put it that way to people. I guess it's kind of an unspoken realtor ettiquete, but take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-28-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 AM

I second Cottonwood Heights! It is a gorgeous area and is also on our short list to relocate to!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM

15 minutes from skiing... Yes please.

We will check it out when we visit. Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 PM

28,101 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepClimbing View Post
15 minutes from skiing... Yes please.

We will check it out when we visit. Thanks for sharing!
Here's a link to Brighton High School, where most highschool age kids in Cottonwood Heights go. Sorry I can't help you with info about ski teams. Hopefully, skibarbie will show up soon and notice your thread. She'd definitely be your best resource on ski-related info as well as on Park City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah