Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,981,577 times

Advertisements

I am not Mormon and have lived here almost 20 years. It is different than a lot of places. It is very dry here and we have mountains so close it feels like you can reach out your window and touch them. We have a state liquor store, which some states do not. That makes it different. But we have cars and houses and roads and stores so really, I don't see that it is very different than any other state at all.

BTW-being standoffish and judgmental can certainly go both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 05:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcin View Post
I was thinking of relocating to Utah but then some friends told me that it was "different" there. They told me that they never felt like they were at home. Maybe it does have to do with the whole Mormon thing. I've heard that some of them can be very "standoffish" toward people who are non-Mormons which is wrong. That is the problem with this world-too many people think that they are better than everyone else. We are all the same, we bleed the same blood so no one should think that they are better than anyone else. Come on people it is 2011, let's get it together. If the majority of us believe in God then we know that He does not like people going against one another. So let's stop thinking that just because we don't look a certain way or act a certain way that we are any different from anyone else. We need more love in this world and stop the hatred and prejudice. I'm so sick of it all already, it's really disgusting!!!
Sounds like you've got some definitely preconceived ideas. That's unfortunate.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 PM

973 posts, read 2,144,262 times
Quote:
I was thinking of relocating to Utah but then some friends told me that it was "different" there. They told me that they never felt like they were at home. Maybe it does have to do with the whole Mormon thing. I've heard that some of them can be very "standoffish" toward people who are non-Mormons which is wrong. That is the problem with this world-too many people think that they are better than everyone else. We are all the same, we bleed the same blood so no one should think that they are better than anyone else. Come on people it is 2011, let's get it together. If the majority of us believe in God then we know that He does not like people going against one another. So let's stop thinking that just because we don't look a certain way or act a certain way that we are any different from anyone else. We need more love in this world and stop the hatred and prejudice. I'm so sick of it all already, it's really disgusting!!!
I am not LDS, all but one of my neighbors that I am friendly w/ are. My son has an LDS friend spending the night here tonight. He adores my son. =) Actually, all the boys in our hood, all but one & my son are LDS (the one 'not' is 1/2) , are always knocking on our door, asking my son to play. Just him. So, he must be a decent kiddo, that all the boys want to play w/ him. lol My girl & her LDS BFF are drama, drama, drama. Oy! Girls! lol & they are SEVEN YEAR OLD FIRST GRADERS!!!!!!!!!! Boy, are we in for it. lol But, they are stuck like glue most days. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sounds like you've got some definitely preconceived ideas. That's unfortunate.
I agree. Come w/ an open mind. I promise, there are no green eyed monsters here. lol Hubby plays basketball at the stake church every week, & goes w/ the scouts & elders forum, alot. I go to events, & some relief society events. I think of all of it, as does hubby, not, 'churchy', but neighborhood'y. =) I love that I know & can go to & text all of my neighbors for anything here. =)

Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoanInUtah View Post
Longtime lurker here that decided to finally post. My wife and I have been here for 7 years, but we feel like we're ready to head out. Can't really explain why, but we just don't really like it here anymore.

Perhaps its a little homesickness, perhaps it's just the way things are here. We really enjoy visiting the Sugar House and U of U areas because we feel like we're back to "normal" there, whatever that is.

We love the mountains, and we took up snowboarding and skiing since we moved here (which we also love) but it just doesn't seem like enough to keep us here. It's strange, because I can't quite put my finger on it... but this state just isn't for us. We are non-mormons, so maybe that has something to do with it as well. We just never got the feeling that this was home.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there's anybody else out there that feels the same way about this state?
Longtime lurker here as well. Your post really resonates with me. I visited Utah quite often before moving here four years ago. While they're many things I enjoy about Utah, my DH and I have decided we don't want to live here long-term, either.

We love the mountains and we both took up mountainbiking and snowboarding since moving here. We have lived all around the country so we're open to different ways of life (at least we think so, heh). I have no problem with people practicing different religions and we have lived other places that were predominately Lutheran or Baptist. I think the difference (for us), is how much the religion permeates the local culture, outside of SLC, Park City and Sugarhouse; which we didn't experience living in Georgia and Nebraska. (We're originally from SF Bay Area, if that matters)

I'm finishing up grad school and the local wages for my career choice are 20-40k less than other places in the US, so that definitely influences our decision. We're in our mid-to-late 30's and don't have children so that may also have isolated us a bit socially.

Anyway, like I said there are many things we enjoy about Utah and plan to return/visit Utah to continue to enjoy them, but long-term I think we fear we'd always feel like outsiders.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,135,627 times
Quote:
I agree that it's annoying when people stay in their own little cliquish worlds.
Mormons aren't the only ones who do that - but some do. It really depends on what area of Utah you live in. Some parts of other states are more cliquish than some parts of UT. Salt Lake City is very much like any city (besides liquor laws). But when you go to some of the smaller UT towns... even LDS who are new on the block (ie less than 10 years) are not treated the same as those who's ancestors settled it in the 1800s. lol

I really liked the bolded part of what you wrote. I think it also applies on this forum, between Athiests & Theists (& yes I do think Athiests worship - they just don't call it God lol). I also think it's so important to expand our awareness - to learn to better love EVERYONE as ourselves. I think as we realize we're not perfect either, we aren't so busy judging others & can love more. We are happier when we love others & ourselves - if only we'd all realize & remember that.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 AM

973 posts, read 2,144,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I know, I just get sensitive. I already said harsh might be too bad, but, you posted again.
Geez, I meant to type 'sucks might be harsh'. lol

Este's & Red Iguana, top of my list. I also love Moochies cheesesteaks, Pita Pit chicken ceasar pitas, those are my 'loves'. lol PS Get Este's pizza plain, just cheese, 'well done'. Perfection. MO

Please note, there are many places I haven't tried yet, so, I'm sure there are more. =) I live, way west, & I want to try more places SE, where my picky palate friend lives.

Food Network profiled Pizzeria 712. Most reviews are great, but, some preferred another place (can't remember off the top of my head. lol) . Although, Papa John's was rated as '5th' in Orem, so, not sure what to make of that. I'll be nice & say I won't eat their pizza. lol

Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,025,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I don't get this comment about the food sucks.
Where are you eating that it "sucks" so I can avoid it and where have you loved that the food is so great?
This was just based on my several visits to UT, but I'd have to agree, in my experience, the food really did suck.

Being from the SF Bay Area, I found the ethnic food sucked. Mexican didn't seem authentic. Neither did my friend's favorite Japanese place. We went to a burger place and it sucked as well.

It's possible my friend just didn't know the good places to go, but since he's lived there a long time, I'm leaning more toward the view that the food sucks.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-18-2011 at 03:38 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
It is interesting that years ago I read about research that was done on rats that was tied into the human demographic, which equated population density with tensions between neighboring rats as well as aggressions and overall levels of peace. Seems if we all lived on 5 acres or more with lots of trees around us to provide privacy and were not effected by others lifestyles as they would not be in our face, we'd all be happier for it. I know I would My dream was always to be in a nice home whose nearest neighbor was about half a mile down the road. A nice stream running on the property, lots of trees, fresh air etc. Nowhere near the sound of a grumbling motorcycle or car, no traffic. These places most certainly do exist (I've been to a few) but best for retirement situations to be sure
Uggh. I am almost 100% certain I would not be happy living on 5 acres because:

--I hate maintenance and taking care of property (mowing lawns, etc).
--My apartment is a block away from my job (no commute!)
--I live and work in the downtown area of a large, spawl oriented, city. But, since I live downtown, I can walk to the grocery store, the movie theater, restaurants, etc.
--If my city were more urban and had decent mass transity, I could do away with my car completely. (Less expense and maintenance, YAY!). But alas, that's not going to happen.
--The city where I live has plenty of fresh air (OK, it's not absolutely pristine, but it has good air quality by the standards of any big city).

It really is a case of different strokes for different folks.

I have to say, though, I think that suburbia is the worst of both worlds. IMO, you get all the disadvantages of urban and rural life put together and the advantages of neither. That's especially true if you live in the outer suburbs of a large metro area.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Plenty of good wholesome stuff too courtesy of the LDS. If I'm willing to drive a bit I can easily find an excellent steak, chicken fried steak, barbecued brisket
I guess this would explain why I think the food in UT sucks. I am not a vegetarian, but none of these are mainstays in my diet. I generally don't like "barbecue" anything, and I don't think I've ever eaten chicken fried steak.

I might add this kind of food (and the way cattle & poultry are raised), plus all the processed junk food, is what's driving the obesity & diabetes epidemics.

It seems like Mormons have actually forgotten the part of their word of wisdom that emphasizes the eating meat or poultry "sparingly".

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-18-2011 at 03:39 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,244,047 times
If your interested in florida, Ill trade ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah