Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 03:02 PM

24,624 posts, read 10,947,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's just 3 hrs from Dallas where my son lives. I might come to visit and see it myself.

I would think that the more people move there, the better for the industry and prosperity.
Nichols Hills and Gaillardia are wealthy areas. Other affluent neighborhoods in Oklahoma City include Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Edgemere, and Crown Heights.
However, the cost of living in Oklahoma City is 13% lower than the national average, due to low prices for groceries, utilities, and transportation. So, living there might be appealing to many.
But generally, Oklahoma still remains one of the poorest states in the US.
Having lived in DFW I beg to differ. I have no clue where you find COL in OKC lower to DFW. Actually - the opposite.
3 hours from Dallas will be pushing it.
I will gladly show you poor places. I mean dirt poor in Europe, PNC, DC, MD, VA, AL, GA, TX and OK. Let's keep OK one of the poorest states but also keep Californians and their friends out. At least with all the support programs available to Oklahomans we have a state budget in the black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 06:11 AM

61,812 posts, read 87,269,132 times
I am happy that you're enjoying living there and doing well, but those are facts.
Can't post any of those links here, but you can Google:
"cost of living in Oklahoma City is 13% lower than the national average"
or post a contradictory statement.

More recent:
The cost of living in Oklahoma City, OK is 10.1% lower than in Dallas, TX. According to numbeo.

2022 Census data: Oklahoma remains among the nation’s poorest states:
https://okpolicy.org/2022-census-dat...se-this-trend/

Old 04-26-2024, 08:11 AM

24,624 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Quote:
I am happy that you're enjoying living there and doing well, but those are facts.
Can't post any of those links here, but you can Google:
"cost of living in Oklahoma City is 13% lower than the national average"
or post a contradictory statement.

More recent:
The cost of living in Oklahoma City, OK is 10.1% lower than in Dallas, TX. According to numbeo.

2022 Census data: Oklahoma remains among the nation’s poorest states:
https://okpolicy.org/2022-census-dat...se-this-trend/
I go my my own COL DFW-OKC not some worked up analytics.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:27 AM

140 posts, read 52,147 times
Quote:
Building that tall is consuming lots of space for elevators and stairs.
Yes, the rent will be very high. The views not so spectacular (flat land with little going on).
Except for when one of those giant supercell storms rolls through the area. That would be pretty cool to watch from high up.

Very weird decision for Oklahoma City, though. Dallas would make much more sense.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:22 PM

12,861 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Having lived in DFW I beg to differ. I have no clue where you find COL in OKC lower to DFW. Actually - the opposite.
3 hours from Dallas will be pushing it.
I will gladly show you poor places. I mean dirt poor in Europe, PNC, DC, MD, VA, AL, GA, TX and OK. Let's keep OK one of the poorest states but also keep Californians and their friends out. At least with all the support programs available to Oklahomans we have a state budget in the black.
When they move into a state, they don't bring in higher incomes. But they drive up the prices so the locals can no longer to afford to live there. Saw it in Colorado. Now seeing it here in Tennessee.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:02 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,474,214 times
This is a highly ambitious, and pretty absurd proposal, honestly.

Who is renting and buying in this building if built? The views will be far and wide, of rolling, mostly flat prairie, which is a hard sell in general.

There will be scant amenities surrounding the tower right away, and hardly any density in terms of other buildings, retail/grocery/shopping, etc.

It sounds like a proposal from someone who pitched a brainstorm idea to their architect friends, and they drafted up this rendering.

I would bet money on the potential for this to not ever happen, at least at the proposed height now.

Old 04-28-2024, 12:56 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is a highly ambitious, and pretty absurd proposal, honestly.

Who is renting and buying in this building if built? The views will be far and wide, of rolling, mostly flat prairie, which is a hard sell in general.

There will be scant amenities surrounding the tower right away, and hardly any density in terms of other buildings, retail/grocery/shopping, etc.
While I don't necessarily disagree that this is a boondoggle... the appeal of the place will be that it will be right in the heart of the OKC downtown entertainment district... which is now robust enough that there is quite a bit of residential building going on already.

Whether or not that much space could be filled is a question. But a scaled down version of this project is easily feasible in this market at present. The real problem here is not weather... but rather the boom bust economy that we have here.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:18 PM

4,636 posts, read 3,016,379 times
How many people in the OKC area want to live in a super-tall tower??

Old 04-29-2024, 12:56 PM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
Except for when one of those giant supercell storms rolls through the area. That would be pretty cool to watch from high up.

Very weird decision for Oklahoma City, though. Dallas would make much more sense.
Dallas has one of the least inspiring skylines of any city, it's in need of something, what, I don't know!

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,718,368 times
Quote:
It's just 3 hrs from Dallas where my son lives. I might come to visit and see it myself.

I would think that the more people move there, the better for the industry and prosperity.
Nichols Hills and Gaillardia are wealthy areas. Other affluent neighborhoods in Oklahoma City include Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Edgemere, and Crown Heights.
However, the cost of living in Oklahoma City is 13% lower than the national average, due to low prices for groceries, utilities, and transportation. So, living there might be appealing to many.
But generally, Oklahoma still remains one of the poorest states in the US.
This will almost certainly not be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning