Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,770 times

Advertisements

I've long noticed planners have found it difficult to integrate service stations into urban communities. When once is placed into a neighborhood, it becomes a hindrance to walkability and vibrancy. After all, gas stations demand wide open space for parking, pumps and other amenities such as car washes, air pumps, convenience stores, electric charging stations, bathrooms, etc. I can actually see it being a nightmare trying to design an urban gas station and I've never seen a true urban model executed in person. I did however take a picture of a decent attempt at an urban service station with this Delta Sonic recently built in Rochester, NY.

I was impressed when I came across this. As you can see, the car wash tunnel was designed within a newly constructed brick building set to the sidewalk, one that is meant to mimick an early 20th century commercial structure. While not perfect, this enhances the neighborhood far more than just a simple lot with pumps would.

I wonder if other urban models either similar to this one, or even better, exist throughout North America or the world. It's definitely something I'd like to see more of from urban developers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
There are lots of these all over the country. They are certainly not as plentiful as they should be, but they exist. Your example looks pretty nice though. Here are some from thejaxson (formerly metrojacksonville) website: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article...-into-brooklyn

Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I like that. Unfortunately our urban gas stations look just like all the others, the simple lot with pumps and a small convenience store.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
There are lots of these all over the country. They are certainly not as plentiful as they should be, but they exist. Your example looks pretty nice though. Here are some from thejaxson (formerly metrojacksonville) website: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article...-into-brooklyn
Thanks for sharing. That was interesting. The BP station in Milwaukee is very impressive. I would love to have something like that in my community.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:11 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
I guess when I think of an 'urban filling station' I think of one that is located at the entrance to an underground parking lot and has maybe six pumps and a small office. Some have a car wash incorporated. most of the ones show in this thread I would call 'dense suburban' not urban.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
NYC has a lot of tiny gas stations like this

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6653...7i13312!8i6656

Old 07-21-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Here is an example in London in Google Maps.

While searching for more examples, I instead found articles about how gas stations in London are a dying breed and several examples of converted gas stations. Some have been turned into restaurants, a cinema, bars, etc. Perhaps it's a sign of the times.

This used to be a gas station and is now a burger joint (Byron)

This one has been converted into an outdoor cinema (aptly called The Cineroleum)

A restaurant/bar from a previous gas station (aptly called The Filling Station)

This one in Shoreditch has been converted into a street food market (aptly called The Pump)
That station in London is intriguing to me. I've seen very similar structures in Taiwan. It's actually a very practical model that fits an urban environment perhaps better than even the examples I posted and responded to above, but I wonder if housing pumps underneath a multistory building like that would be a safety concern. I've never seen anything even remotely similar in North America but large cities such as New York, Chicago and the like may benefit from such a design if there were demand to build more in their city centers (although I'd prefer there wouldn't be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I guess when I think of an 'urban filling station' I think of one that is located at the entrance to an underground parking lot and has maybe six pumps and a small office. Some have a car wash incorporated. most of the ones show in this thread I would call 'dense suburban' not urban.
I'm not sure I've seen these stations in my travels. I'm having a hard time picturing this. Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like it would be viable. What I was describing in my OP though is certainly dense, maybe somewhat suburban in nature, but it's something that integrates service stations into an urban area with a better design than the traditional one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC has a lot of tiny gas stations like this

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6653...7i13312!8i6656
Those aren't too bad. I see them in New York and have been to plenty in Philly. I don't love them though. They're still a wide open lot with a small, set back store.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Those aren't too bad. I see them in New York and have been to plenty in Philly. I don't love them though. They're still a wide open lot with a small, set back store.

Well you need a certain amount of open space for the cars and delivery trucks. By having the open space out next to the street you minomize the amout needed because the largest vehicles (delivery trucks) can use the public right of way as part of their turning radius. As far as putting stations in the urban core, Why? Most people want to exclude vehicles from the urban core as much as possible so having vehicles that 'live' constantly in the core should be ones that use fuel sources such as electricity and get that where they are garaged. Vehicles that are used to get into or out of the core should be fueled outside the core (Where it would be cheaper anyway and most probably already do it)

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
It seems to me this model is the best for an urban gas station. Pump is right on the sidewalk. You lose some streetside parking, but that's about it.

\

For some reason, I have never seen this in the U.S.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:27 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
For some reason, I have never seen this in the U.S.

I think it because the station would loose the high margin from convenience store items and need to charge a higher price. I've seen people drive 10 miles (maybe $1 in gas) to save 5 cents per gallon (maybe 80 cents). When it comes to gas prices, Americans are completely irrational. That irrationality would make it hard for this much better solution to compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning