Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Hogwash - it takes about 2 trips for someone to get it.
Maybe that is all it should take to 'get it' but that isn't what I see. Between people who learned to drive years ago and those due to age or some other reason are very cautious drivers the variety of responses to Yield signs whether at a roundabout or at the foot of an interstate ramp is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Maybe that is all it should take to 'get it' but that isn't what I see. Between people who learned to drive years ago and those due to age or some other reason are very cautious drivers the variety of responses to Yield signs whether at a roundabout or at the foot of an interstate ramp is amazing.
Re: interstate ramps - that's just bad driving.

Caution and uncertainty is one of the reasons roundabouts work. And when accidents do occur (far less frequently than at intersections), they are a lot less severe. In other words, after a few days or weeks, roundabouts perform better (more traffic flow through) and operate more safely.

20 years is nonsense - the improvements are immediate.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:00 PM

497 posts, read 554,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7footer View Post
I typed "Roundabout pet peeves" because that's what I meant. I wasn't referring to your 'traffic calming circle' or anything else. I was specific enough for anyone that has more than two years of driving under their belt. For those who need the aid of a visual refresher (including you, impala096) I invite you to watch this:
In the most general terms, a roundabout is a road junction at which traffic enters a one-way stream around a central island. This can have a lot of different meanings and range from "traffic calming circles" with stop sign control, to 400 ft radius rotaries where traffic inside the circle yields to traffic entering the circle.

My point is people get confused because the term "roundabout" is too general. The U.S. Department of transportation adopted the term "modern roundabout" to distinguish circles that fit into a defined design criteria (IE. entering traffic has yield control, raised splitter islands to deflect entering traffic, etc.). I have a feeling you would like you to discuss "modern roundabouts" in this thread but you weren't specific enough (to be fair, even if you were specific enough you would still get responses talking about massive traffic circles and tiny "traffic calming" circles).

Old 02-13-2014, 04:37 PM

9,109 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
I believe that it will take another 20 years or so before 'Roundabout Etiquette' is worked out.
Don't count on it. Roundabouts and their predecessors, rotaries have existed in New England for as long as there have been automobiles. People still don't know how to navigate them properly.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Don't count on it. Roundabouts and their predecessors, rotaries have existed in New England for as long as there have been automobiles. People still don't know how to navigate them properly.
Nonsense - In fact - empirical data suggests exactly the opposite - there are half the accidents in traffic circles as compared to intersections that came before them and when accidents occurred they were far less severe.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
In St George Utah they put their firs round-a-bout in a place where 5 streets intersected near the post office. They had averaged 3 or more accidents a week at that point. Once the round-a-bout was in place, there was not one accident for over 3 months.

That is where I first learned the value of round-a-bouts.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7footer View Post
I have two pet peeves when it comes to roundabouts:

1. Following someone as they approach a roundabout, and then they come to a stop because they apparently think the driver to their left, who has yet to enter the roundabout, has the right-of-way.
2. Following someone within a roundabout who comes to a stop because they apparently think the driver to the right, who has a YIELD sign and hasn't entered the roundabout, has the right-of-way.

In theory I like RABs as they are supposed to keep the flow of traffic moving efficiently, not come to a grinding halt. Since they are pretty straight forward, why is it that so many people appear like they are preparing for their driver's permit when they encounter a roundabout?
So you have a problem with drivers, not roundabouts.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
People around here (Massachusetts) generally know how to drive in rotaries; they work great. The only problems are caused by out of towners.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,948,208 times
Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one...

I ran into an interesting situation the other day at a 3 way intersection. This intersection is WIDE. If anybody is local to the Phoenix area, it's where 48th St hits the Premium Outlets exit on the Gila River Indian Res. 48th does not go through. I was travelling north on 48th, wanting to turn left onto Willis / Premium Outlets Way (green arrow). The bulk of traffic was leaving the outlets, and turning southbound onto 48th (red arrow).

Now, here's what wound up happening: the intersection is so wide, that there was a continuous line of left-turners. Someone would turn left, to head south on 48th. They'd be half way across the intersection before the next person in line just sort of started moving, completely ignoring my right of way. This happened for about 6 cars before someone realized I was trying to turn as well.

Obviously driver inattentiveness is a major issue here, but I couldn't help but think how much smoother that intersection could have been with a big roundabout instead.

Edit: To give you an idea of scale, 48th Street (from left to right) has a bike lane, 2 lanes of southbound traffic (12' width), median (~8' width), turn lane plus 2 north bound lanes (which currently go nowhere. All lanes 12' width), bike lane, and right turn lane. It is a very wide road, easily 90' from curb to curb. Willis / Premium Outlets Way is also about 90-100' in total width.
Attached Thumbnails
Roundabout pet peeves-3-way-intersection.png  

Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 AM

447 posts, read 496,557 times
Quote:
Most people that I know have mastered them within the a few trips. The people that I do know that have been driving for years, but cannot master the round about have not mastered such other complex things as 4 way/3 way and 2 way stop signs among others. Even after decades of driving and unless there is a light that is directly telling them what to do, they get confused.

Face it. There are bad drivers out there and no amount of time or training is ever going to make them understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning