Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: UK town with the highest % hippies
Totnes 2 8.33%
Stroud 1 4.17%
Glastonbury 14 58.33%
Lewes 1 4.17%
Hebden Bridge 2 8.33%
Findhorn 2 8.33%
Other (specify) 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 PM

31 posts, read 123,064 times

Advertisements

I was wondering where UK hippies congregate. A quick google search reveals a few towns. I was wondering which has the highest concentration of hippies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Maybe Glastonbury?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Of all the options there I'd say Glastonbury, without a doubt.

For those of you, like me, who had never heard of Findhorn here is a link-

Forres & Findhorn Bay-Moray NE Scotland-including The Findhorn Foundation. (http://www.forresweb.net/findhornbay.htm - broken link)

Stroud and Hebden Bridge????????

Now, this hippy scene is not my thing but being a good old Wiltshire boy I'd say there is an arguement for my fair County.

We've got that apology of a national disgrace, otherwise known as Stonehenge, as well as numerous other neolithic monuments that attract the hippy type.

We also have that strange phenonemon of crop circles which again draw people of a certain type.

The Downs are a magical place and my best memories are of being up there all alone at twilight on horseback.

Overall the County is a bit more laid back than many and would fit the title reasonably well.

Maybe I should give guided tours!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 AM

31 posts, read 123,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

Stroud and Hebden Bridge????????
Stroud, Gloucestershire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Stroud has a significant artistic community that dates back to the early part of the twentieth century. Jasper Conran called Stroud 'the Covent Garden of the Cotswolds', [8] the Daily Telegraph referred to it as 'the artistic equivalent of bookish Hay-on-Wye' [9] while the London Evening Standard likened the town to 'Notting Hill with wellies'.[10] Many of its residents (popularly known as 'Stroudies') support environment-friendly politics and are generally opposed to genetically-modified produce, oil companies (Esso in particular) and McDonalds, though one has now opened, after much protest. Consequently, Stroud Town Council became the first Green Party-controlled council in the country.[11] The town was one of the birthplaces of the Organic food movement and was home to Britain's first fully-organic café, Woodruffs.[11] The Biodynamic Agricultural Association is based in the town. [12]"

Hebweb news: Yuppies find peace in hippie hub

"For three decades, the former mining town in West Yorkshire [Hebden Bridge] has been a trend barometer: home to waves of hippies, modern pagans, lesbian single mothers and lately, downshifting professionals.
Urban slickers in search of the slow lane are switching city life for love, peace and friendship in a town where all their green needs are met.
"Now it's people with money moving here: different-thinking professionals - teachers, doctors and architects," said Dave Brooks, who co-founded the town's housing co-operative.
Nestled between lush green hills, Hebden Bridge is home to about 5,000 people who are served by three organic shops, a recycling and environmental education centre, a tree-planting charity, a housing co-operative, and countless healers, yoga teachers and civic action groups."

Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 AM

Thanks for that.

Just awaiting the good people of Kernow to stake a claim.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 PM

521 posts, read 1,472,865 times
Hebden Bridge! Blimey that's my neck of the woods and a town famous for the unfeasibly large number of lesbians who have taken up residence there.

Thus giving rise to the expression "she's on the bus to Hebden Bridge" for any woman with a fondness for comfortable shoes.

Not really a hippy hang out but pleasant enough.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
When I lived near Amesbury (near Salisbury), the "peace convoy" used to regularly hitch up demanding free petrol to move on, much to the annoyance of low paid hardworking locals. Not sure if lazy drongo welfare sponger automatically equates to hippy.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM

69 posts, read 228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
When I lived near Amesbury (near Salisbury), the "peace convoy" used to regularly hitch up demanding free petrol to move on, much to the annoyance of low paid hardworking locals. Not sure if lazy drongo welfare sponger automatically equates to hippy.
It was me that voted Stroud. Totnes was a very close second.

Some of you are talking about where hippies GO. I voted for where they LIVE. That's how I interpreted the question, possibly wrongly. As a basically car- and football-loving, somewhat materialistic geezer from the saaf-east, who spent many years in the West and accidentally went out with a hippy girl from Gloucs, I can definitely confirm that there are slightly more hippies in Stroud than the other places. Glastonbury people are more mystic and slightly more healthy. When it comes down to scruffy weirdos who haven't got a clue about, and even less interest in, what you are very occasionally and tentatively trying to talk about amid their braying of green/hippy orthodoxy in social gatherings, Stroud has 'em all whacked. Just. I've been to all of these bloody places by the way. I'm not bitter. But I was then.

(I saw two hippies having a fight in Stroud, by the way. It was about a girl. It was one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen.)

Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
What a wonderful expession!

We used to have these convoys round Marlborough and Savernake Forest.

The Post Office had never seen so much custom.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 37,731 times
I didn't think hippies existed any more. Having been a hippy in the late 60's/70's I can assure you that anyone describing themselves as a hippy now is a watered down version of the real thing!! Do you want the watered down version or the real think now matured? If the latter, try the highlands of Scotland or the hills of Wales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom