Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,637 times

Advertisements

I realize India was a British colony, but why does the British census use "Asian" to refer only to Indians, yet the American census uses "Asian" to refer to anyone from Asia, whether Indian or Oriental? Perhaps the "Asian" in the UK census really should be called "immigrants from the former colonies on the Indian Subcontinent" but is kept at "Asian" to be short? Even then, since the UK also ruled Hong Kong and other East Asian societies, I'm surprised "British Asian" can't be used to refer to people from the East Asian colonies.

On another subject, while "Indian" at one time was a perfectly good name for Native Americans, I really think Americans ought to stop using the word "Indian" in that sense. In colonial times there was nothing wrong with this use of the word, but it's become a source of confusion since Indian immigration (yes, from India) to the US and Canada started to happen in large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:58 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
I think the British use the term Asian to refer to anyone from Asia, although most notably east of India. It's interesting that Asians west of India are (commonly incorrectly) referred to as middle eastern.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
I think the British use the term Asian to refer to anyone from Asia, although most notably east of India. It's interesting that Asians west of India are (commonly incorrectly) referred to as middle eastern.
If we're talking about Pakistan and Afghanistan, maybe while "Middle Eastern" is not really correct, Afghans and Pakistanis are given that name because the two countries are majority Muslim and have a lot of Islamic terrorism, similar to Iraq, Iran, Palestine, and other Middle Eastern countries, none of which are relatively far away from Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:55 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
It's largely because the number of people in the UK from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc) vastly exceeds the number of people from the East. For the sake of clarity - the terms South Asian and East Asian can be used. It's the same - but opposite - Stateside, most people assume that 'Asian' means someone of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese etc origin

Old 06-18-2015, 02:04 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Most Australians use "Asian" to describe people from East Asia, while those from India or Pakistan are "Indian" or "Pakistani".

I suspect its just history. The first waves of Asian migration were Chinese and Japanese in the mid to late 1800's. Indians, who are clearly a different ethnic group, didn't arrive until much later.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,232 times
it was due to differences in the number of Asian population who live there
http://uiwalls.ml/7/o.png

Old 06-18-2015, 06:19 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
Think how many different words have been used to refer to black people in America. It is a slippery concept that still causes worry for white people using those various words, and identity issues for those the words have been used to describe.

The word Asian may be imprecise and even inaccurate, but most people know what it refers to and are happy with it's established meaning. Mostly it doesn't cause offence or have negative connotations, so why change it?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 PM

577 posts, read 669,447 times
"Oriental" is the term generally used in the UK for East Asian people (Japan, China, etc), although it's considered derogatory in the US (for no apparent reason), as I found out when I used it and got ranted at by a Chinese lady.

Asian in the US only ever seems to refer to East Asian. I've never heard an American refer to someone from the middle east or India as "Asian".

Old 06-18-2015, 02:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
"Oriental" is the term generally used in the UK for East Asian people (Japan, China, etc), although it's considered derogatory in the US (for no apparent reason), as I found out when I used it and got ranted at by a Chinese lady.

Asian in the US only ever seems to refer to East Asian. I've never heard an American refer to someone from the middle east or India as "Asian".
There is always a reason.

Five Derogatory Racial Terms to Avoid

It's the same in Canada. Oriental reflects back to the days when " Orientals " didn't have the right to vote, own property and were charged a head tax to enter Canada.

It's a loaded word historically, for some.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times
in the US some people still call asians "chinaman" instead of oriental

I even heard a white guy teaching his toddler / small child , he said you see those people? thats a "chinaman" he was teaching his son at a young age to call asians "chinaman".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom