Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM

692 posts, read 1,358,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Much as you may hate to admit it, I also think that Britain has become a lot more culturally "European" over the last 2 decades. Even looking at pics, I see a lot more outdoor cafes and even the street fashion seems to have changed a bit, to the point that the UK doesn't seem to far off from Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany. Rising prices and the recession contributed 50%, but it's a change in culture. I noticed it even many years before I left. Also, you have to factor in the enormous waves of migration into Britain from Eastern Europe.
I welcome the fact we are becoming more European in some respects. I think a lot more wine is now drunk in Britain than lager or ale, and we seem to now prefer to do other activities rather than sitting in the local drinking during our time off. Pubs themselves have also changed, many of them are much more food orientated and serve meals, whilst people want a reason to go in to pubs such as big screen sport. Indeed the Euro 2012 Football will see many pubs packed especially for England games (in England).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM

43 posts, read 74,319 times
I don't want my children growing up in the UK.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,397,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl1989 View Post
First off I want to say my future husband is British and I'm American. We have decided that we are going to live in England when we finally tie the knot. (will work on getting a visa when we are engaged) I am curious to know if England is a better place to raise youngsters then America? To be honest I am scared to raise my children in America. Right now we are thinking about living in Dorking, Surrey near his sisters

Let me just add that I am really excited because my great great great great grandparents came from England. My Heritage is about 70% British so I am technically going home I love everything British. The culture, the country, and most importantly the people. I hope to visit your BEAUTIFUL country soon.
Short answer: no, it's not better...just different.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,164,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Short answer: no, it's not better...just different.
I'd go along with that..

Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I'd go along with that..
It's not worse either. For every comparison where the UK beats the US, there's one where the US beats the UK in some category or another be it wellness, academic performance/readiness, equality of opportunity, etc.

If I had...HAD...to choose one, the UK would edge out the US ever so slightly only because healthcare is free at the point of use and I think the overall health of British children is still probably better than that of their American counterparts. I think the British also have an edge in high school performance though it doesn't hurt when a very large, low-performing cohort drops out at 15-16 after either doing poorly on GCSEs or not taking them at all.

On the other hand I think the US still edges out the UK ever so slightly in terms of social mobility, though it has dropped severely in the US over the last few years and if it continues to deteriorate, then the UK would have us beat there too. However, since the UK has some of the western world's lowest social mobility, that's hardly anything to boast about.

The UK used to clean our clock when it came to providing worthy students with tertiary education but since the introduction of ever-escalating tuition bills, that isn't really the case anymore. Do students in the US have larger debts than their British counterparts? Yes, but those students, as graduates, will also make a hell of a lot more money than their British counterparts. Salaries in the UK, especially considering the cost of living there, are absurdly low. I don't know how anyone does it south of the Midlands; bank accounts there must be magical.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:19 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,414,932 times
Quote:
It's not worse either. For every comparison where the UK beats the US, there's one where the US beats the UK in some category or another be it wellness, academic performance/readiness, equality of opportunity, etc.

If I had...HAD...to choose one, the UK would edge out the US ever so slightly only because healthcare is free at the point of use and I think the overall health of British children is still probably better than that of their American counterparts. I think the British also have an edge in high school performance though it doesn't hurt when a very large, low-performing cohort drops out at 15-16 after either doing poorly on GCSEs or not taking them at all.

On the other hand I think the US still edges out the UK ever so slightly in terms of social mobility, though it has dropped severely in the US over the last few years and if it continues to deteriorate, then the UK would have us beat there too. However, since the UK has some of the western world's lowest social mobility, that's hardly anything to boast about.

The UK used to clean our clock when it came to providing worthy students with tertiary education but since the introduction of ever-escalating tuition bills, that isn't really the case anymore. Do students in the US have larger debts than their British counterparts? Yes, but those students, as graduates, will also make a hell of a lot more money than their British counterparts. Salaries in the UK, especially considering the cost of living there, are absurdly low. I don't know how anyone does it south of the Midlands; bank accounts there must be magical.
No...

The poor social mobility in the UK is about the same level as the US, but it's different. The UK still suffers from age old class division, but if you weren't born rich or middle class, you can "make it" in the UK a lot cheaper, even after the university tuition hikes. Also, if you get sick in the UK, you don't pay out of pocket for healthcare aside from nominal fees.

I would (hands down) rather raise children in the UK; it's not even close.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
No...

The poor social mobility in the UK is about the same level as the US, but it's different. The UK still suffers from age old class division, but if you weren't born rich or middle class, you can "make it" in the UK a lot cheaper, even after the university tuition hikes. Also, if you get sick in the UK, you don't pay out of pocket for healthcare aside from nominal fees.

I would (hands down) rather raise children in the UK; it's not even close.
I did mention healthcare and access to tertiary education as advantages, but there's no denying that high student debt is becoming a serious issue there (just as it is here).

I don't have kids so I don't have any skin in this game whatsoever.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,414,932 times
Quote:
I did mention healthcare and access to tertiary education as advantages, but there's no denying that high student debt is becoming a serious issue there (just as it is here).

I don't have kids so I don't have any skin in this game whatsoever.
It's nowhere near as extreme as the US. In the UK, you still have organisations like the CAB to help with money matters.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM

102,314 posts, read 108,503,109 times
Quote:
What access to tertiary education in the UK? Working-class Brits I discuss with online are frustrated that they have no chance for an education and for advancing themselves. If I missed something, please fill me in.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It's nowhere near as extreme as the US. In the UK, you still have organisations like the CAB to help with money matters.
Before I did some research for my responses below, I might have agreed with this somewhat. But I don't now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What access to tertiary education in the UK? Working-class Brits I discuss with online are frustrated that they have no chance for an education and for advancing themselves. If I missed something, please fill me in.
Gladly. Up until 15 years ago, universities in the UK did not have these kinds of fee structures. Not being British I don't know exactly how students were funded, but I knew many people over there from working class backgrounds who not only attended university, but were paid to do so with living stipends. Tuition as it exists today is a relatively new concept in British universities. I don't think it's a change for the better. Tuition started off as being "up to" 1,000 pounds per year. Beginning in 2012, universities can charge "up to" 9,000 pounds (and you know most will). I think that's an 800% increase, if my math is correct, over the last 14 years. It's truly staggering.

Personally I think British students, even ones from working class backgrounds, had better access to higher education in terms of pure out-of-pocket cost though I think with the 9k top-up, that has changed. If you look at it in very very rough terms:

(According to the IMF)
Average per capita GDP in the USA is $48,000. Average per capita GDP in the UK is $36k.

The average cost of a year of university at a public four-year school in the US is about $19-$20k (factoring in tuition, fees, books, living expenses, etc).

The Average Cost of a U.S. College Education - US News and World Report

The average cost of a year of university at a public school in the UK is about 14k. I had to rough this out using average tuition costs (8,600 pounds source: BBC, Guardian) and the maximum, away-from-home maintenance grant available (3,600 pounds source: Student finance for 2011/12: new and continuing students : Directgov - Education and learning ), plus a bit extra for math mistakes and incidental expenses.

Averaged out, a year of uni in the US would eat up 40% of the average GDP per capita.

Same in the UK under the new structures would eat up 60% of the average GDP per capita.

So yeah, British students are screwed NOW. Wasn't always the case, though. With the new fee structures British students will also be carrying a heavier debt load than their American counterparts, mitigating the fact that most bachelor's degrees in the UK are three-year courses whereas at US universities, they are four-year courses at a minimum.

I should stress that this was not always the case. My ex-husband is English, grew up with barely a pot to pee in, and has both bachelor's and master's degrees. He didn't pay one thin dime for either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom