Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 06:41 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,365,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I love that guy.
Me, too! As an entertainer. As a historian?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 08:45 AM

24,156 posts, read 32,602,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
In the documentary, the brothers indeed mentions that the Warren's arrived in a quite unassuming older American vehicle. They also mention that the Warrens were very comforting, particularly Lorraine. She knew how to talk to people to disarm them and make them relaxed.

I would say however that every successful con-man has that particular attribute.

How they spent there money and lived is not really relevant, however. Maybe they just got off on the fame, maybe they made bad investments, maybe they were busy paying off the numerous lawsuits they were engaged in.
Johnny, you are right! It's an interesting observation. I strongly agree with the first part of your post they never drove down to my house, I but I did visit their Connecticut museum. On our protracted phone call, Lorraine told me not only to call them any time, and she also told me to let someone know at the museum, that I was there. The Warrens were getting up in years, even back then, while they once gave their own tours, they had a large extended family, and occasionally a nephew or niece acted as tour guides. She also told me to call her "mom" if I was comfortable with that. In the phone call I revealed that I had lost my own mother six years earlier and married very soon after. At first, she said "Oh dear..." I laughed and started to say in a questioning tone "Marry in haste, - and Lorraine chimed in leisure". It was an old saying that both of our mothers and grandmothers had said.

When I got to the museum, I noticed that it was in their house. This is not something that I would ever do. I'd rent a store front an office, anything to not have people coming in and out of my house. I It was a metalic blue Dodge sedan. It could have been a Coronet. There was also a VW Beetle. Loraine didn't drive stick. They used the Dodge for cases.
More comfortable, I suppose. I think Ed had a part time regular job. He also sold his art to tourists. He never bought expensive suits, and many appeared to be from Sears and JCPenny. I read that he didn't like to wear ties.

Ed was more of a working-class guy, who chose not to shake is background but embrace it. Loraine's family was more middle class to upper middle class. I know that she attended a private Catholic all girls academy, as opposed to a local church related school. It was, from what I read, "preppy". In her day, is would have taught equestrian studies, French, art, and how to be proper. The Catholic schools of this sort, mostly graduated students to attend all girls' Catholic colleges, most of which are now defunct if they remained all girls. Many of those colleges (Catholic) were run my the Ursaline Colleges. Others, Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart, were run by those nuns.

The secondary school that Loriane attended would have offered an option that was not in demand at the mostly Protestant schools, such as Miss Porter's or Foxcroft. Entering the convent to become a nun.

Loraine did consider this option. I believe that meeting Ed kept her from doing this. I do know that she was deeply spiritual and loved God, in her interpretation and belief - which differs completely from my own.

I equally know that Ed Warren was devoutly Catholic and attracted to Loraine's calm spirituality. Although he could be gruff and rough around the edges, he was deeply spiritual and committed to his work. He was in no way, in it for the money. He also served our country in the United States Navy, during WWII. His life was miraculously spared in a ship explosion while docked in Connecticut.

He did not attempt to avoid serving in the Military. Con-men often do. THEY ALSO HAVE THAT ATTRIBUTE IN COMMON

Attempting or succeeding at getting out of responsibilities. This is a trait of sociopaths.

In no way do I think of Ed as the "bad guy". He was a good husband and father, too.

There is NOTHING wrong with deriving pleasure from your work, or in this case, calling. I sincerely feel that they were called to this vocation.

They also helped many people. In the course of a 50 year ministry, I am sure they ruffled some feathers.

When I asked Loraine why she let strangers into her home as well as having things in their home, that they considered to be, using Biblical language, "accursed objects". Loraine was quick to respond -

"Honey, we have no fear. We serve the Lord with gladness and joy in our hearts. God protects and blesses us." I will always remember this.

There are so many charlatan Mega Church preachers, and clergy of all faiths as well billionaire entertainers who cannot sing who have private jets. live in mansions, give donations to get tax right offs and publicity.

They are living and are not scrutinized nearly as much as the Warren were.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:24 PM

730 posts, read 310,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Johnny, you are right! It's an interesting observation. I strongly agree with the first part of your post they never drove down to my house, I but I did visit their Connecticut museum. On our protracted phone call, Lorraine told me not only to call them any time, and she also told me to let someone know at the museum, that I was there. The Warrens were getting up in years, even back then, while they once gave their own tours, they had a large extended family, and occasionally a nephew or niece acted as tour guides. She also told me to call her "mom" if I was comfortable with that. In the phone call I revealed that I had lost my own mother six years earlier and married very soon after. At first, she said "Oh dear..." I laughed and started to say in a questioning tone "Marry in haste, - and Lorraine chimed in leisure". It was an old saying that both of our mothers and grandmothers had said.

When I got to the museum, I noticed that it was in their house. This is not something that I would ever do. I'd rent a store front an office, anything to not have people coming in and out of my house. I It was a metalic blue Dodge sedan. It could have been a Coronet. There was also a VW Beetle. Loraine didn't drive stick. They used the Dodge for cases.
More comfortable, I suppose. I think Ed had a part time regular job. He also sold his art to tourists. He never bought expensive suits, and many appeared to be from Sears and JCPenny. I read that he didn't like to wear ties.

Ed was more of a working-class guy, who chose not to shake is background but embrace it. Loraine's family was more middle class to upper middle class. I know that she attended a private Catholic all girls academy, as opposed to a local church related school. It was, from what I read, "preppy". In her day, is would have taught equestrian studies, French, art, and how to be proper. The Catholic schools of this sort, mostly graduated students to attend all girls' Catholic colleges, most of which are now defunct if they remained all girls. Many of those colleges (Catholic) were run my the Ursaline Colleges. Others, Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart, were run by those nuns.

The secondary school that Loriane attended would have offered an option that was not in demand at the mostly Protestant schools, such as Miss Porter's or Foxcroft. Entering the convent to become a nun.

Loraine did consider this option. I believe that meeting Ed kept her from doing this. I do know that she was deeply spiritual and loved God, in her interpretation and belief - which differs completely from my own.

I equally know that Ed Warren was devoutly Catholic and attracted to Loraine's calm spirituality. Although he could be gruff and rough around the edges, he was deeply spiritual and committed to his work. He was in no way, in it for the money. He also served our country in the United States Navy, during WWII. His life was miraculously spared in a ship explosion while docked in Connecticut.

He did not attempt to avoid serving in the Military. Con-men often do. THEY ALSO HAVE THAT ATTRIBUTE IN COMMON

Attempting or succeeding at getting out of responsibilities. This is a trait of sociopaths.

In no way do I think of Ed as the "bad guy". He was a good husband and father, too.

There is NOTHING wrong with deriving pleasure from your work, or in this case, calling. I sincerely feel that they were called to this vocation.

They also helped many people. In the course of a 50 year ministry, I am sure they ruffled some feathers.

When I asked Loraine why she let strangers into her home as well as having things in their home, that they considered to be, using Biblical language, "accursed objects". Loraine was quick to respond -

"Honey, we have no fear. We serve the Lord with gladness and joy in our hearts. God protects and blesses us." I will always remember this.

There are so many charlatan Mega Church preachers, and clergy of all faiths as well billionaire entertainers who cannot sing who have private jets. live in mansions, give donations to get tax right offs and publicity.

They are living and are not scrutinized nearly as much as the Warren were.
That is interesting and a very respectful response. I mean that sincerely. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal