Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 07:44 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

I live in another country and my bank in my country of origin has just recently asked me to fill in a form giving my tax reference number, or if not that, to confirm 3 things
1) I opened my bank account in my country of origin
2) I am not a US citizen
3) I am registered to pay tax solely in my country of origin

It is strange because my bank pays GROSS interest on any savings, so they do not need any tax information. It is up to me to declare taxable income to the government tax office.

This requirement is recent legislation which requires banks to obtain this information from people working or living abroad.

Now, what is REALLY weird, is that I have a small amount of money here and yesterday I was asked to fill in the same details at the local bank. That means this is a worldwide requirement.

Now, it is difficult to see this if only one bank had asked me to fill in a form with these requirements, but both banks within a month of each other? That is beyond coincidence.

The net is closing guys...soon.

I have noticed that conspiracies tend to be moved here so I will post it here but if the mods decide it would be better in another place, please move it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 07:55 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,682,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I live in another country and my bank in my country of origin has just recently asked me to fill in a form giving my tax reference number, or if not that, to confirm 3 things
2) I am not a US citizen

It is strange because my bank pays GROSS interest on any savings, so they do not need any tax information. It is up to me to declare taxable income to the government tax office.

This requirement is recent legislation which requires banks to obtain this information from people working or living abroad.

Now, what is REALLY weird, is that I have a small amount of money here and yesterday I was asked to fill in the same details at the local bank. That means this is a worldwide requirement.

Now, it is difficult to see this if only one bank had asked me to fill in a form with these requirements, but both banks within a month of each other? That is beyond coincidence.

I have noticed that conspiracies tend to be moved here so I will post it here but if the mods decide it would be better in another place, please move it.
So what is the conspiracy?

The US has thankfully really started to crack down on the the people not paying taxes on their "side hustles". Pretty much every way of moving cash now has a $600 limit on total transactions per year before sending out a 1099. Without more details can't really give an answer to your statement.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:45 PM

740 posts, read 473,143 times
Not having more particulars, I would guess that FATCA, which requires banks around the world to disclose account information for american clients with a certain dollar amount (can't remember how much) may have something to do with the information you are being asked to provide.

The banking system around the world has to comply with FATCA if it wants to do business in the u.s. Some banks comply, others want to identify u.s citizens so that they can drop them cause they don't want to pay the overhead/admin fees needed to comply with FACTA for american accounts, moreso if puny.

The u.s. is only one of 2 countries IIRC around the world with citizenship-based taxation rather than residence-based. So non-american banks don't necessarily want your perhaps onerous business if you are a u.s. citizen. FATCA also, I believe, applies to americans with dual-citizenship. As the long arm of the u.s. gov/irs continues to get longer, and more intrusive into other countries' banking systems, american accounts are no longer as welcome. Can't blame 'em. If I were an american expat, in for the long haul, i.e. permanently, I might renounce my citizenship--- but just look at the requirements for that process.... talk about 'the net closing.'

Last edited by herringbone; 07-28-2022 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 09:58 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
I feel it is only a matter of time before the non-US banks put their foot down and decide to go with the Euro or some other currency. China and Russia are already making noises but we wait and see if they are just making noises or if they decide to go it away from the US system of banking.

Maybe this is the start of a battle for control of the financial system which has been in the same hands for a loooong time.

I have no doubt there is more to this than we know down here at the lowest levels.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:04 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
So what is the conspiracy?

The US has thankfully really started to crack down on the the people not paying taxes on their "side hustles". Pretty much every way of moving cash now has a $600 limit on total transactions per year before sending out a 1099. Without more details can't really give an answer to your statement.
Most billionaires pay no taxes and Biden wants to hire 87,000 IRS agents to look at people making $600. There is a conspiracy in there somewhere.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:10 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,682,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Most billionaires pay no taxes and Biden wants to hire 87,000 IRS agents to look at people making $600. There is a conspiracy in there somewhere.
Those bilionaires are generating millions in taxes and employing many people. No reason to add that part though.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
The IRS has always exhibited an inclination to first go after the 'low hanging fruit,' or put another way, those most likely to cave and/or be intimidated by the sheer power of their name as far as collecting money from citizens-- those lower/middle/upper middle class earners usually pay right away if caught in a 'mischief.'

Contrast that to the 'higher fruit' on the tree well able to afford legal/financial representation.... The IRS is much more likely to cut deals.

The conspiracy is the same one that has been around since the beginning of mankind's civilizations- the weak/poor suffer and the strong/rich prevail.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I feel it is only a matter of time before the non-US banks put their foot down and decide to go with the Euro or some other currency. China and Russia are already making noises but we wait and see if they are just making noises or if they decide to go it away from the US system of banking.

Maybe this is the start of a battle for control of the financial system which has been in the same hands for a loooong time.

I have no doubt there is more to this than we know down here at the lowest levels.
It's already happening, the only question is how far the u.s. is prepared to go to sacrifice the well-being of its citizens as well as its allies in order to preserve the hegemony it has enjoyed since WW2.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:24 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
2) I am not a US citizen

What you are facing - is an aggressive reach of the US government - is going on for years. Maybe now additional countries banking systems are forced to join

The US - and now a few other countries following the suit - are taxing it’s citizens on a worldwide income - even if they live and earn income permanently elsewhere.

Not every country has an agreement with the US on avoiding “double taxation” - where the US allows to exclude a certain fixed amount of income and take into consideration the taxes paid to the country of residence.

Some banks which are famous for their discretion - Switzerland,anyone? - started requesting proof that whoever wants to open an account - is NOT a US citizen - the simplest solution for them.

As far as I can recall - it is going on for at least 25 years now - nothing new; could become worse though - with this ridiculous reporting of $600 transactions requirement

Old 07-30-2022, 08:52 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Fake news but being shouted loudly by right-wing politicians as a smoke screen for their billionaire benefactors who are aren't happy about potentially having to pay more in taxes.

"audit rates for those making less than $400,000 would not increase under the proposal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal