Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 02:25 PM

13,139 posts, read 9,701,700 times

Advertisements

Last night (Thursday, January 4, 2021), there was a truly new program on the Travel Channel hosted by Ben Hansen. Ben is a former FBI agent, but he's also been the host of other programs such as "Paranormal: Fact or Faked", so he's not averse to hocus-pocus subjects.

This particular program was interesting, with a fair amount of new information, and some never before seen interviews.

What I don't like about is that it was a promo for the program that will be on the new streaming channel Discovery+. My question is - are we going to see all the "good stuff" move to premium streaming channels? We're already paying to receive the Discovery family of channels, one of with is the Travel Channel. Why should we have to pay twice to receive programs we like?

There's also a network called ESPN+ that has special sports programming, but it's pretty targeted subjects, like Harvard Lacrosse that very, very few would want to watch. That's all well and good - but how long will it take for them to move popular programs like college football and NFL games to "super pay" channels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 04:11 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,966,617 times
Nobody knows for sure, except Discovery and they arent talking because they want people to subscribe.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:15 PM

7,026 posts, read 6,952,006 times
In the first series of this (UFO Witness) there are only 2 episodes, so I guess they are being super cautious only buying 2 episodes. It is a good series and will probably be aired on the normal Discovery channel in a while. I honestly think we are starting to get some better UFO programs which investigate more thoroughly and this maybe one of them.

I agree that they appear to be moving (maybe the better) ones over to get people to subscribe to their new product. Unfortunately there will always be people who want to have the best, and that includes TV channels which others dont have. It shows them that they have 'made it' and it is something they can brag about to their mates. Almost like "My car is better than your car". Of course, not everyone is like this but the TV companies just see this as another product and another money making opportunity.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:35 PM

15,648 posts, read 26,351,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
In the first series of this (UFO Witness) there are only 2 episodes, so I guess they are being super cautious only buying 2 episodes. It is a good series and will probably be aired on the normal Discovery channel in a while. I honestly think we are starting to get some better UFO programs which investigate more thoroughly and this maybe one of them.

I agree that they appear to be moving (maybe the better) ones over to get people to subscribe to their new product. Unfortunately there will always be people who want to have the best, and that includes TV channels which others dont have. It shows them that they have 'made it' and it is something they can brag about to their mates. Almost like "My car is better than your car". Of course, not everyone is like this but the TV companies just see this as another product and another money making opportunity.
Actually, with cable and satellite going the way it’s going, which is badly, a lot of these companies are creating their own streaming channel packages. Those channels can go on Roku or other streaming platforms and be purchased for a small fee. At this point you can easily cut your cable or satellite bill down to almost nothing but using these kind of streaming channels at 6.99 a month and cut out satellite or cable at 115 a month.

It’s not because they’re trying to show people up. That’s ridiculous — the fact of the matter is cable subscribers and satellite subscribers are bailing left and right and using streaming services so if they’re not gonna watch your stuff on cable or satellite l, package it up and sell it to them on streaming services.

I know I’m tired for paying $130 a month for the five channels I watch out of 150 channels most of which are crap. That’s the next thing I’m going to cut is my satellite. It’s just not necessary anymore.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually, with cable and satellite going the way it’s going, which is badly, a lot of these companies are creating their own streaming channel packages. Those channels can go on Roku or other streaming platforms and be purchased for a small fee. At this point you can easily cut your cable or satellite bill down to almost nothing but using these kind of streaming channels at 6.99 a month and cut out satellite or cable at 115 a month.

It’s not because they’re trying to show people up. That’s ridiculous — the fact of the matter is cable subscribers and satellite subscribers are bailing left and right and using streaming services so if they’re not gonna watch your stuff on cable or satellite l, package it up and sell it to them on streaming services.

I know I’m tired for paying $130 a month for the five channels I watch out of 150 channels most of which are crap. That’s the next thing I’m going to cut is my satellite. It’s just not necessary anymore.
You can always cut your cable/satellite bill to zero if you use an antenna. Of course, in that case you give up those 5 channels out of 150 you watch. I'm the same way - I watch ESPN for sports (and in many cases they're on local channels), many of the Discovery channels, Golf Channel, and a few more. If I had to pay for those individually it would probably cost as much as my satellite bill, so I'll just stick with Dish and OTA until things changes.

BTW - on my OTA input on my television - and whole slew of new channels showed up recently (maybe a couple hundred - I've never watched any of their content). They are actually streaming channels, but are on the "Air" input. They're free, but I believe you have to have an LG television to get them. IP stands for Internet Protocol.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

Didn't know they only have two episodes - sounded like there were at least several. But it truly is different than most of the other UFO shows. It's not just retitled reruns that they call "New" (which screws up recording when you have your DVR set to record just New episodes). Pretty good program, but I won't pay $5 extra each month to get an occasional good program - and I believe the screen graphic said "Starting at $4.99, so there must be even more expensive options. )

Old 01-16-2021, 06:45 PM

15,648 posts, read 26,351,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You can always cut your cable/satellite bill to zero if you use an antenna. Of course, in that case you give up those 5 channels out of 150 you watch. I'm the same way - I watch ESPN for sports (and in many cases they're on local channels), many of the Discovery channels, Golf Channel, and a few more. If I had to pay for those individually it would probably cost as much as my satellite bill, so I'll just stick with Dish and OTA until things changes.

BTW - on my OTA input on my television - and whole slew of new channels showed up recently (maybe a couple hundred - I've never watched any of their content). They are actually streaming channels, but are on the "Air" input. They're free, but I believe you have to have an LG television to get them. IP stands for Internet Protocol.
It was pretty much what I was trying to say badly. The last time Dish Network kicked CBS off the air, they ran a informational channel on that local channel. And basically what they were saying we don’t want to pay CBS, they want too much money, we don’t want to raise prices yada yada but in a lot of areas if you purchase an over the air antenna — they showed you different kinds you could plug it into the back of your TV and they showed you multiple places where you could plug it in on different TVs and you could get your over the air local channels and not have to pay us the six bucks a month we’re charging you and you get your CBS.

So we did that. And I do watch a lot of over the air television. And frankly what I watch on cable is just really crap, it’s on because I have tinnitus so it’s actually just covering up the annoying whine in my head.

I really need to look at other things like Netflix and Hulu. As odd as this is, I find streaming somewhat unsatisfying, weirdly. I’m 61. I grew up with a limited amount of channels, and things being on once. So when you went to school the next day pretty much everybody saw Rudolph. Everybody saw the Wizard of Oz. It was almost like it communal experience. And in a lot of ways that is still my preference. To sit down to a program and know that my sister is watching it at the same time I am. Or that my friend is. And if you look back, how many people watch the final episode of MASH. I think it was 106 million people. And now if 1 million people watch a program on a network television that’s high rating. It’s just so fractured, and I get it, but I kind of miss it if that makes any sense.

When I stream something on BritBox which I do all the time, there is no sense of community. I don’t know that anybody else in the whole world is watching what I’m watching. It’s a lonely experience. Which I feel far more acutely right now since I am very alone.

But I am getting tired of paying $112 when I really pay for crap I can get other places.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:46 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,638,082 times
We pay around $300 a month package bundled deal
It took me awhile to figure out the little bundle is is not such a great deal

Old 01-18-2021, 12:15 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,707,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
We pay around $300 a month package bundled deal
It took me awhile to figure out the little bundle is is not such a great deal
WOW, and I was just thinking my 'bundle package' was high at $150 a month! ( I have basic cable tv, and 250 mbps internet service), my bill says Im currently getting a $50 promotion too.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:59 PM

7,026 posts, read 6,952,006 times
Yes, I was wrong. There are more than 2 episodes - maybe 6, but I cannot find ep4 at the moment.
E01 - Secrets of the State
E02 - Alien Crash Secrets
E03 - Alien High Tech
E04 -
E05 - The Mothership Returns
E06 - Claws in the Night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal