Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 07:47 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I recently watched The Secret and have been reading those related books along with the Law of Attraction. Can anyone suggest some similar books/material?

I'd also love to learn about the law of attraction as it relates to biblical teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
You might enjoy The Collected Works of Florence Scovel Shinn. She talks about the Bible a lot in her writings.

Other books I recommend are You'll See It When You Believe It by Wayne Dyer, Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain, Outrageous Openness by Tosha Silver, and Lessons in Truth by H. Emilie Cady.

My main recommendation for working with the Law of Attraction is to find one book with which you resonate, and work your way through the book, doing all the exercises and really letting it sink in, before going on to another. A lot of people get caught up in reading one book after another, trying to find the "best" way, and they miss the point, which is that it's easy, but you have to actually do it to get the benefits.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:51 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
You might enjoy The Collected Works of Florence Scovel Shinn. She talks about the Bible a lot in her writings.

Other books I recommend are You'll See It When You Believe It by Wayne Dyer, Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain, Outrageous Openness by Tosha Silver, and Lessons in Truth by H. Emilie Cady.

My main recommendation for working with the Law of Attraction is to find one book with which you resonate, and work your way through the book, doing all the exercises and really letting it sink in, before going on to another. A lot of people get caught up in reading one book after another, trying to find the "best" way, and they miss the point, which is that it's easy, but you have to actually do it to get the benefits.
Oh my gosh, I actually read Creative Visualization years ago and had forgotten the title and author. Can't wait to re-read it. Thank you!!

Thanks for the other suggestions, too.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

I'd also love to learn about the law of attraction as it relates to biblical teaching.

Look into Neville Goddard's books -- you can find many of his writings online for free. He writes about the Imagination being God (which I agree with) and he teaches that the Bible shows us how to use the imagination and your I AM. He has a whole different way of seeing the Bible. I am not so interested in those parts of his writings but you might enjoy them. He is one of the earlier authors on what we now call LOA. He's mentioned by a number of newer authors as having influenced them.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:47 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Swedish youtuber Anna Bey has 1.79 million subscribers to her channel. I've followed her off and on for many years. She is living proof that Law of Attraction works, and gives you the steps to achieve the success she has. At the end she also says what she wishes she had done differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDciMC8owEk&t=17s

Old 03-19-2024, 09:40 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I recently watched The Secret and have been reading those related books along with the Law of Attraction. Can anyone suggest some similar books/material?

I have no idea how the law of attraction could have any relationship to biblical teachings. What line are you trying to stradle with that?

I have read a couple of books about the law of attraction, watched The Secret movie, tried to read that book and found it useless because it is all hype.

By the time I found The Secret book and movie I had already figured out why affirmations don't work.

The trick is to state what you need, want, expect once, ONCE, with the feeling and knowing that you will get it whether it is exactly like you want or not, you will get it. If you say affirmations or focus incessantly on anything you are giving the universe the energy of disbeleif so nothing changes. You say it once, or write once, put it away and go about your business. Later you will find what you wrote and realize you got what you asked for or even more than you asked for.

The Secret was a marketing gimmick, other books that I read about the law of attraction belabored the point and never once explained that what feeling and knowing are key, not visualization or repeating something over and over.

Also, you have to be reasonable, if you are drowning in debt you don't ask for a million dollars, you ask for help to resolve your debt and enough extra to be comfortable in order to do what ever your mission is (if you have a mission or believe you have a purpose on this planet besides experiencing poverty) THEN you do Not sit around doing nothing waiting, you get off the couch and do what you can in each moment to resolve what ever it is you need.

I started with the book by Shatki Gawain, maybe that is why I figured out why certain things don't work. But even so, I had to try things myself and hang out with people who used affirmations over and over and over, then exclaimed "I do my affirmations all the time so why am I still in the same old ****?!" Actuallly, that is what brought it home to me, that they were giving the universe the idea that they didn't believe they could have the things they were asking for by saying it over and over and over.

The one book that really helped me was written by a woman who started the book about why people get a virus and stay sick for 2 weeks instead of a few days. In it she explained how to write a letter to god asking for what you need in order to be comfortable. You write the letter and sign it Thank You, then put it away and forget it. I did that and did actually forget about it until I moved and found the letter when unpacking a year later. I had gotten everything I asked for in that letter.

Last edited by DesertRat56; 03-19-2024 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I had already figured out why affirmations don't work.
If you say affirmations or focus incessantly on anything you are giving the universe the energy of disbelief so nothing changes.
This is key. Most people hold beliefs like:

I'm not good enough
I'm not worthy
I don't deserve happiness

The Lefkoe Method has been the most effective way of eliminating self destructive beliefs and would be a good place to start the process. Then follow the metaphysical advice to "Act as if."

Anna Bey addresses these things in her 15 min. video above. Her life used to be a mess and she looked a mess, too!

Old 03-21-2024, 08:53 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
This is key. Most people hold beliefs like:

I'm not good enough
I'm not worthy
I don't deserve happiness

The Lefkoe Method has been the most effective way of eliminating self destructive beliefs and would be a good place to start the process. Then follow the metaphysical advice to "Act as if."

Anna Bey addresses these things in her 15 min. video above. Her life used to be a mess and she looked a mess, too!
Right, "Act as if" is not really workable when you are leveraged to the eyeballs or "robbing peter to pay paul" and your friend wants you to take a trip to Africa. You really want to go but acting as if you have the funds to do it will not get you there. "Acting As If" is just another new age psycho babble mantra that has no relationship to reality. You have to accept your current reality, decide what works and what doesn't and make the changes to eliminate what doesn't work for you. Just like The Secret and other visualization books and videos they leave out key ingredients to those tools, they are selling something and that is how they are acting on their desires to create what they want. It only works for a short time and all of those people are doing something else 5 years later because they can't sustain the misinformation or lack of information long enough to retire on them.

It doesn't matter what books you read or videos you watch, you won't understand what you need to change until you actually do, and it may be a long process until one phrase or sentence hits home and it all becomes clear. How you think and feel matter more than anyone elses tools or suggestions.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
It doesn't matter what books you read or videos you watch, you won't understand what you need to change until you actually do, and it may be a long process until one phrase or sentence hits home and it all becomes clear. How you think and feel matter more than anyone elses tools or suggestions.
That is why so many found The Secret helpful. Different books appeal to different people. Just because one book didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Choice is a beautiful thing!

Anna Bey took action and worked years to get where she is now. She was laughed at and ridiculed. She talked about the power of beliefs which is why I mentioned The Lefkoe Method, a quick and effective way to eliminate self destructive beliefs and blocks. Better than traditional talk therapy (aka CBT).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal