Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,464,555 times

Advertisements

O.K. I feel a little uneasy about posting this story because the people I have shared it with in the past usually thought I was certifiably nuts afterward, but on an anonymous forum such as this, the story could be read by thousands of people, and might be the best way to share my experience and get some feedback, possibly from others who had a similar experience.

I had a series of very strange occurrences over three years, I even kept a log and I wrote down each experience after they began in 1993. These experiences basically kickstarted my spiritual awakening - as you could call it. I cared less for religion because it didn't make any sense after what I had experienced and focused my thoughts around spirituality instead of man-made religion.

Before bed, usually I'd shower, read a book before turning out the light after midnight sometimes later. No drinking coffee or alcoholic beverages, no drugs in my system.

Every experience would begin like this:

Fully awake lying in bed, I would have a slight ringing in my ears, followed by sounds becoming more muted, feeling lightheaded, next I'd feel the energy drain from my body and I would feel an uncontrollable urge to close my eyes, if I fought the urge to close my eyes I would begin to feel intense fear and anxiety/nervous, but the more I allowed myself to fall into a state of relaxation the more positive of mind and relaxed I would feel. Next I'd feel a pressure on my chest like something holding me down, followed by what felt like hands holding my feet to the bed and a veil envelop my body. And then complete paralysis, but my mind was fully awake.

Then there was a second stage of the experience.

Once I was fully relaxed, I could feel something that felt like a person sit on the bed (I could feel the pressure of what felt like weight sitting on my mattress). If my mind raced to something filled with terror, I would feel a touch on my forehead and then my body would slowly go numb of sensation and peaceful thoughts would fill my mind and the fear would quickly subside.

Other things would happen, for instance one of my first experiences I felt the pressure of a body next to me in bed, and I was scared to death but then whatever it was, allowed my hand to relax and touch whatever it was in the bed with me and it felt like a human male leg - it had skin texture and hair and was warm like flesh and toned with muscle. Strangest thing I have ever experienced in my life.

I even moved to a new home and they followed me to my new home. I started sleeping with my bedside table light on. I discovered that on the nights I slept with my light on, the experiences wouldn't happen. I slept with the light on as much as I could but it was very expensive to do so. But sometimes I would have an urge to turn the light off and when I did that's when the experience would start. More than a few times, when I reached to turn the light off I could feel the lightheaded sensation starting sound going dull in my ears and I knew I was going to have an experience, once when I reached to touch the switch on the light I felt something like a hand force my hand down to my side after I turned the light off, a pressure on my chest forcing me down into bed, and the experience would start.

They became so regular I could lay down and clear my mind, and focus on that "energy" and initiate a contact.

It was frightening to me because a few times the "energy" would overpower my senses and if I sat on my bed I could feel something surround me and the pressure on my chest, and ringing in my ears sound to lay down.

I could feel it examine my body and probe it, it attempted to examine my eyes and I told whatever-it-was that if I saw it I would be completely terrified, and it opened my eyes with "fingers" (at least it felt like fingers), shone a light into my eyes, but totally obscured my vision so I wouldn't see what it was.

Other strange things happened, even telepathic experiences. I speak several foreign languages and I could carry on conversations with it in French or Spanish. There were some projects I was hoping would pan out at the time which were pretty much "done deals", but when I would ask "it" about the future of the projects, "it" told me that they wouldn't happen - and the project I was hoping for collapsed 3 weeks later. I asked it things about my life in the future, and it told me different things which have also happened. A surgery for instance that happened in 2009.

The experiences gave me insight. I know that everybody isn't open to having those kinds of experiences, and "it" told me that everyone isn't ready for them.

My experiences stopped in 1996.

Strangest experiences of my entire life.

In the aftermath of each experience I had I began to see humanity totally differently. I feel a lot more connected spiritually with other humans and I can sense a kind of common relationship with just about everything and everyone around me.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,803,735 times
very cool! And yes-I have had similar to almost same experiences as this. So have other members of my family who are spiritual and have the "gift" -as we were told to call it when growing up.
I won't elaborate unless asked to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
O.K. I feel a little uneasy about posting this story because the people I have shared it with in the past usually thought I was certifiably nuts afterward, but on an anonymous forum such as this, the story could be read by thousands of people, and might be the best way to share my experience and get some feedback, possibly from others who had a similar experience.

I had a series of very strange occurrences over three years, I even kept a log and similar to almost same experiencesI wrote down each experience after they began in 1993. These experiences basically kickstarted my spiritual awakening - as you could call it. I cared less for religion because it didn't make any sense after what I had experienced and focused my thoughts around spirituality instead of man-made religion.

Before bed, usually I'd shower, read a book before turning out the light after midnight sometimes later. No drinking coffee or alcoholic beverages, no drugs in my system.

Every experience would begin like this:

Fully awake lying in bed, I would have a slight ringing in my ears, followed by sounds becoming more muted, feeling lightheaded, next I'd feel the energy drain from my body and I would feel an uncontrollable urge to close my eyes, if I fought the urge to close my eyes I would begin to feel intense fear and anxiety/nervous, but the more I allowed myself to fall into a state of relaxation the more positive of mind and relaxed I would feel. Next I'd feel a pressure on my chest like something holding me down, followed by what felt like hands holding my feet to the bed and a veil envelop my body. And then complete paralysis, but my mind was fully awake.

Then there was a second stage of the experience.

Once I was fully relaxed, I could feel something that felt like a person sit on the bed (I could feel the pressure of what felt like weight sitting on my mattress). If my mind raced to something filled with terror, I would feel a touch on my forehead and then my body would slowly go numb of sensation and peaceful thoughts would fill my mind and the fear would quickly subside.

Other things would happen, for instance one of my first experiences I felt the pressure of a body next to me in bed, and I was scared to death but then whatever it was, allowed my hand to relax and touch whatever it was in the bed with me and it felt like a human male leg - it had skin texture and hair and was warm like flesh and toned with muscle. Strangest thing I have ever experienced in my life.

I even moved to a new home and they followed me to my new home. I started sleeping with my bedside table light on. I discovered that on the nights I slept with my light on, the experiences wouldn't happen. I slept with the light on as much as I could but it was very expensive to do so. But sometimes I would have an urge to turn the light off and when I did that's when the experience would start. More than a few times, when I reached to turn the light off I could feel the lightheaded sensation starting sound going dull in my ears and I knew I was going to have an experience, once when I reached to touch the switch on the light I felt something like a hand force my hand down to my side after I turned the light off, a pressure on my chest forcing me down into bed, and the experience would start.

They became so regular I could lay down and clear my mind, and focus on that "energy" and initiate a contact.

It was frightening to me because a few times the "energy" would overpower my senses and if I sat on my bed I could feel something surround me and the pressure on my chest, and ringing in my ears sound to lay down.

I could feel it examine my body and probe it, it attempted to examine my eyes and I told whatever-it-was that if I saw it I would be completely terrified, and it opened my eyes with "fingers" (at least it felt like fingers), shone a light into my eyes, but totally obscured my vision so I wouldn't see what it was.

Other strange things happened, even telepathic experiences. I speak several foreign languages and I could carry on conversations with it in French or Spanish. There were some projects I was hoping would pan out at the time which were pretty much "done deals", but when I would ask "it" about the future of the projects, "it" told me that they wouldn't happen - and the project I was hoping for collapsed 3 weeks later. I asked it things about my life in the future, and it told me different things which have also happened. A surgery for instance that happened in 2009.

The experiences gave me insight. I know that everybody isn't open to having those kinds of experiences, and "it" told me that everyone isn't ready for them.

My experiences stopped in 1996.

Strangest experiences of my entire life.

In the aftermath of each experience I had I began to see humanity totally differently. I feel a lot more connected spiritually with other humans and I can sense a kind of common relationship with just about everything and everyone around me.

Anyone else?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times
I was going to start a thread about sleep paralysis. I used to get this all the time, but I didn't have a paranormal experience - and I believe in almost all things paranormal! Actually at the time I didn't know what was happening and I did worry that something really evil was going on. Most frightening experience of my life - to be fully awake and can't move and you're not actually paralyzed in waking life, and it does feel like something is pushing you into the bed.

By pure chance I found out what it was (this was before google) - a friend's sister was having it, and the friend just happened to describe it to me. I hadn't told anyone because I seriously wondered if I were possessed or something, it was that awful. I was able to look it up at the library and pretty much as soon as I found out what it was, it went away. I've gotten it a few times since then, but am somehow able to remind myself that it's just sleep paralysis and kind of will myself to fall deeper asleep.

It still creeps me out though. It's the weirdest feeling.

Edited to add: I do think that this can tend to happen at a time when the brain is more receptive to the paranormal, though. At least it did for me. That period when you're just about to fall fully asleep, or before you're fully awake - I think called the fugue state, or theta state? So, if you're someone who is a natural medium/sensitive, perhaps when this happens it opens the door...so interesting.

Sleep disorders run in my family...I have a cousin with narcolepsy...and I fall into REM sleep seemingly as soon as I fall asleep (or it seems that I dream immediately) - so maybe that figures in somehow for me.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,216,166 times
I've had a few strange experiences in my lifetime but it's been quite a long time. These altered states that occur when drifting into sleep or coming awake from it are called "hypnopompic" and "hypnogogic" but I forget which is which.

I've had the "visitations", too, but not as detailed as yours, Lucky Gem. I've felt the weight of someone sitting on my bed, too--gently patting me or tucking the covers around me. Once I heard footsteps on the carpet and then I heard my deceased mother's voice speaking to me. Same thing happened once with a deceased sister. I didn't experience "sleep paralysis" as you describe it. In fact, I could open my eyes to full wakefulness and the experience would vanish.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 PM

488 posts, read 555,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Anyone else?
I still have bouts of sleep paralysis from time to time, but much more rarely than when I was a teenager. The symptoms of being in the confused body asleep and mind half awake state are interpreted as paranormal by some, but I don't. I see it as a sleep disorder.

Almost every time it occured was when I was trying to sleep on my back, and it was usually during times of high stress and/or lack of sleep. It scared the crap out of me and I thought there was some demon trying to possess me until I read up on it. The sensation of some evil presence in the room and the chest pressure are both very common with sleep paralysis. I get the rushing sound in my ears, as well. It sounded like my ceiling fan was spinning out of control.

It's can be quite a frightening experience when you don't realize it's just a sleep problem.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times
Oof, I forgot about that rushing sound. I used to get that too. What a disturbing experience! I used to fall asleep with the TV on all the time and I fully remember that during one episode of this, Bob Seger was on the Arsenio Hall show, and I could see it and couldn't move. Shudder (not at Bob Seger, or Arsenio Hall)

Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,469,435 times
OP, you just explained in DETAIL the exact same kind of thing I experience. In fact, I just had it not last night but the night before. The only difference for me is that I don't feel a leg. Sometimes I feel an animal against me (other than my dog who likes to sleep against me), sometimes hands. I have no idea what it is! I always just thought it was part of my flashbacks from PTSD. I'm not really sure, though. It would be nice to have a better idea of what's going on!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,216,166 times
Most of my experiences of this nature are accompanied by a feeling of intense love and comfort. I don't want to wake up but my bladder has other ideas.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,829,632 times
Once I was taking a sleep-apnea test; after several hours of tossing and turning, I fell asleep but still stayed conscious (something that happens to me from time to time... do you know it actually hurts to go to sleep? ). Anyway, I remember laying on by back completely paralyzed and looking out into the room when a very large, dark hairy thing appeared out of the shadows rushed towards me, scaring me right back into a fully awakened state.

I know exactly where it came from too:

Monster Manicure - YouTube

That monster scared the crap out me when I was only 3 or 4... I guess it's been lurking in my subconscious for the past 30 years.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
I still have bouts of sleep paralysis from time to time, but much more rarely than when I was a teenager. The symptoms of being in the confused body asleep and mind half awake state are interpreted as paranormal by some, but I don't. I see it as a sleep disorder.

Almost every time it occured was when I was trying to sleep on my back, and it was usually during times of high stress and/or lack of sleep. It scared the crap out of me and I thought there was some demon trying to possess me until I read up on it. The sensation of some evil presence in the room and the chest pressure are both very common with sleep paralysis. I get the rushing sound in my ears, as well. It sounded like my ceiling fan was spinning out of control.

It's can be quite a frightening experience when you don't realize it's just a sleep problem.
This has happened to me before but without the noise or pressure on my chest. I wonder why we experience darkness, evil, or gloom while in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal