Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,185,795 times

Advertisements

Yes, UI has to have a reason, and being fired isn't sufficient. You have to be fired for some bad act that rises to the level of misconduct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 08:07 AM

18 posts, read 8,381 times
That's what i thought,but the exact reason given on the computer screen when I logged in was . " you were disqualified because you were fired." Here is my situation and tell me if I have a shot. Im a fueler on a oil field location. Basically I drive a 1 ton truck around which has 2 fuel tanks and fuel up equipment on the job site. Here is the situation. I switched job locations and the 1 ton on that site had serious mechanical issues. All of the lights were on on the dashboard. The safety inspector came out and saw the condition of the truck and noted that all of the lights were on plus the truck was running and missing the registration bookwith the insurance in it. I got a call 2 days later saying I was suspended for that. They needed somebody to be held accountable even though 3 other guys used the same truck. They fixed the truck it cost thousands to repair. 2 months later I had to take the truck out on the open highway to burn off the access in the diseal exhaust filter. In the process of doing this the nozzle dragged along the ground while I was driving and broke. Im not entirely sure whether the nozzle popped out on its own or it was not all the way in the holster when I drove off Even if its in the holster it can still pop out. They asked me what happened and i told them and they fired me. We have cameras in the truck so they know what happened but either way it was an accident. That is what I got fired for. Any thoughts?

Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 AM

It's not your job to tell this story. The employer has to prove by a preponderance of the admissible evidence that YOU did it.

Could it have been someone else?

Did you see the damaged nozzle?

In my opinion, you don't know that you did any of this stuff. You're only being told you did it, and you're believing it. STOP. If there's video, the employer can play it.

Do NOT accept blame - it's your right, and it's why fired people have a really good chance at getting UI, but too many want to do the employer's job for them.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM

Thats part of the problem. When the incident happened I had to write a report and state what happened. Nozzles break all the time. My supervisor said he was going to watch the tape so dont lie about it or. I weighed my options and wrote the incident report stating what happened,but I said the nozzle might have popped out. I never thought it would escalate to me getting fired at the time. So im kind of stuck

Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 AM

819 posts, read 576,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63TMB View Post
Thats part of the problem. When the incident happened I had to write a report and state what happened. Nozzles break all the time. My supervisor said he was going to watch the tape so dont lie about it or. I weighed my options and wrote the incident report stating what happened,but I said the nozzle might have popped out. I never thought it would escalate to me getting fired at the time. So im kind of stuck
But you do not need to explain all that to UI. If your employer wants to use your statement against you, make them submit it. And then make them prove you were actually at fault for the nozzling popping out.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Thats the angle I'm going to take. I dont understand why the reason i got disqualified is simply because "I got fired"

Old 10-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Because some UI workers are just plain lazy, and know that a certain percentage of claimants won't appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment