Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 10:45 AM

23 posts, read 16,318 times

Advertisements

I’ll keep it brief; this is in PA.

I went to the referees office and received what was said by my former employer. For what it’s worth, it looks like they sub unemployment cases to a third party company based in NY because it was signed by a case reviewer with a different company’s name, so I’m unsure if anyone will show for the hearing

The rebuttal states that I voluntarily quit due to heath issues with a family member. The manager sent a letter “trying” to reach out to make arrangements to return to work or file for FMLA. They attempted to reach out via phone email and text but no response. They considered this job abandonment and thus terminated. They also stated that unless I was able to make arrangements or apply for FMLA, the absences would be treated under the attendance policy

I know it doesn’t look good, but was wondering if there was anything I could possibly swing this in my favor. I worked remotely pretty often, and was not receiving any forms of communication. I still completed my work and met milestones etc. I’m moreso looking for a way to spin this in my favor if my manager himself doesn’t show. I also wasn’t informed of the attendance policy, or the amount of days were never mentioned

Thanks

Last edited by the11joker; 09-24-2019 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 01:51 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,349,543 times
How did it go? Did anyone show?

If by chance it was delayed or you're still pending, unless they have written proof they sent you a letter, email, etc. I would question everything about them "trying" and deny that you abandoned your job - you completed all work and met milestones.

If they say you violated a policy you counter that you were never made aware of it.

You don't have to prove your case, just poke holes in theirs.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:42 PM

23 posts, read 16,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
How did it go? Did anyone show?

If by chance it was delayed or you're still pending, unless they have written proof they sent you a letter, email, etc. I would question everything about them "trying" and deny that you abandoned your job - you completed all work and met milestones.

If they say you violated a policy you counter that you were never made aware of it.

You don't have to prove your case, just poke holes in theirs.
Nobody showed. The referee asked me a couple of clarification questions (did I abandon my job, did I work to the best of my ability, etc.). He also said he will make his judgement based on the testimonies at the hearing which made me feel a little better inside. He asked me if I had any evidence or anything to say about their claim, which I pretty much denied their claim. Made it known that I did not abandon my job and I was still performing my duties remotely which I was given permission to do previously. I also stated that I was never made aware of the attendance policy.

I’ll post an update once I hear something.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2019, 07:30 PM

819 posts, read 576,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the11joker View Post
Nobody showed. The referee asked me a couple of clarification questions (did I abandon my job, did I work to the best of my ability, etc.). He also said he will make his judgement based on the testimonies at the hearing which made me feel a little better inside. He asked me if I had any evidence or anything to say about their claim, which I pretty much denied their claim. Made it known that I did not abandon my job and I was still performing my duties remotely which I was given permission to do previously. I also stated that I was never made aware of the attendance policy.

I’ll post an update once I hear something.

Thanks
Things are looking up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment