Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 AM

166 posts, read 97,990 times

Advertisements

What happens if someone is receiving unemployment and then accepts a referral and works there and then quits after 1 day or 1 week. Does he or she have to give back the money from unemployment? The person just quits for no reason. Some unemployment person keeps sending me referrals to lower paying jobs I told her my requirement of how much I have to get paid per hour. Her job referrals don't meet that requirement. Now she is telling me it's mandatory for me to accept the referrals and I have to apply. So I won't last long there. And if I have to accept the job then I will but I plan to quit after 1 day or 1 week since I can't work at these jobs due to a chronic medical condition that doesn't qualify for FMLA or disability. It's the reason why I lost my last job and the one before that. I don't want to just accept any job then have to be on unemployment again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:02 AM

13,143 posts, read 21,087,137 times
They are probably saying you have to accept the job referral and apply, but if the offer isn't suitable (per state regulations) you do not have to accept the employment. Suitability is based on your prior employment history, wage history, geographical location, education & experience as well as any documented medical limitations that does not render you unable to be employed.

What is your work history and why are these referrals unsuitable.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
They are probably saying you have to accept the job referral and apply, but if the offer isn't suitable (per state regulations) you do not have to accept the employment. Suitability is based on your prior employment history, wage history, geographical location, education & experience as well as any documented medical limitations that does not render you unable to be employed.

What is your work history and why are these referrals unsuitable.

They don't pay what I was getting paid. They pay less but this is the only kinds of jobs this idiot keeps giving me referrals to even after I told her how much I want to need to get paid per hour.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,162,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
They don't pay what I was getting paid. They pay less but this is the only kinds of jobs this idiot keeps giving me referrals to even after I told her how much I want to need to get paid per hour.
You still have to apply. You can reject the company's offer, up to a point... how long have you been collecting?

You can also blow off the interview, show up totally unprofessional, be late, etc.

If you remotely mention this medical issue, you're going to raise an able and available issue.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:29 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,134,911 times
"MOVE," cancel your phone service, and shut down your email account. That will force the referrals to come in the mail, and she'll go away because it's too much work.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:35 PM

How can I reject an offer by a company? What if they call and I say " I only want to be offered this job position if it pays at least this much or more " therefore they won't even offer me the job if it doesn't pay that much which means I never rejected an offer. It's going to be 1 month of unemployment. What if the instructions from unemployment is to dress professionally to the interview? I guess I can look bored or mean at the job interview if they make me go to it. Just give them a look like I am being forced to be there. If they ask me why I was terminated from my last job, can I say " due to a chronic medical condition that doesn't qualify for FMLA or disability which made me lose a lot of days from work?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:38 PM

But the question is How long do I have to work at a new job so I will be able to keep the money from unemployment? What happens if I quit after 1 day or 1 week? Can they make me pay the money back? If so what is the least amount of time I have to work there to quit so they can't take the money back due to me quitting the new job?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,134,911 times
It's called "preclusion." You can try to make it so you don't get an offer, but because these referrals are coming from a UI worker, she's going to be checking up on you. You probably won't get away with it.

What you can do is dress professional for what was appropriate in 1970 from the Goodwill store, and with a matching outdated hairstyle, purse, cat eye glasses, and shoes. There's professional, and then there's frumpy.

If the job's crap, and is offered to you, then you just turn it down and hope the job is ruled "unsuitable" or "less than prevailing."

If you quit, you just don't get any more money going forward. The only way to lose the money from the past is if your former employer appeals your UI award. If you're just going to quit, then just refuse the job if the offer is made. It'll make your life easier. You have a statistically better chance of refusing work and keeping your UI going forward than starting the job and quitting.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
It's called "preclusion." You can try to make it so you don't get an offer, but because these referrals are coming from a UI worker, she's going to be checking up on you. You probably won't get away with it.

What you can do is dress professional for what was appropriate in 1970 from the Goodwill store, and with a matching outdated hairstyle, purse, cat eye glasses, and shoes.

If the job's crap, and is offered to you, then you just turn it down and hope the job is ruled "unsuitable" or "less than prevailing."

If you quit, you just don't get any more money going forward. The only way to lose the money from the past is if your former employer appeals your UI award. If you're just going to quit, then just refuse the job if the offer is made. It'll make your life easier.

I already applied right after she said it's mandatory. This is the first time she said it's mandatory. The first time she sent me a referral I asked her if it was mandatory to apply. She never answered this. Instead she made it seem like I had a choice by asking me what are my requirements. Now she is getting annoying by keep sending me job referrals and every time I check how much it pays, it's always less than what I told her but she said it's still mandatory to apply and that's why I applied. If this is what it has to take just to get unemployment (being harassed with emails of job referrals that don't meet my requirements when it comes to how much it pays and being told it's mandatory I have to apply) then maybe I don't want to receive unemployment anymore. The question is how do I quit from receiving unemployment? Is it possible? Is there a way I can quit receiving it while keeping the money I was already given? I want to find a job where I can work there and keep the job. What happens if someone just stops claiming benefits and submitting weekly job search? Does this mean I have to pay them back the money they already gave me? If unemployment says that I rejected job positions does this mean I have to pay them back all the money or will they just stop paying me from now on? This unemployment person is really annoying me now. What's going to happen if I just accept any job is that I will only last there for a short time and then I will be back on unemployment. It's stupid. What if unemployment says I refused a job (even though I didn't since I just applied) does this mean I have to give them all the money back or they will just stop paying me from now on?

Last edited by Dreamer2019; 09-23-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 04:18 PM

I just thought of something. I am going to tell the person interviewing me the truth when they ask why I was terminated. I will tell them it was due to a chronic medical condition that doesn't qualify for FMLA or disability. This way I won't get the job. If they ask me if I want the job, I will tell them the truth and tell them I am only there because unemployment told me it's mandatory. I will also tell them I have to go to the bathroom during the interview and I will take 5 minutes long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment