Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 PM

86 posts, read 354,858 times

Advertisements

hi everyone:

I have been trying to get through to the NJ unemployment office all day...no luck.

So, I figured I would post on here...since manyare very knowledgeable.

I may have a job (part time) lined up that will be $9.00 per hour..no benefits.

I receive $598.00 from NJ unemployment.

My question is...lets say I work 20 hours a week...GROSS $$180.00..after taxes make $140.00...can Unemployment pay me the difference? I know when I claim my weekly unemployment benefits there is a section for if/when you go back to work....so I'm assuming yes...but I need to know...

Many thanks everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Yes, you can do that, but the better question is why in the world would you want to?

You have to understand that if that crap job doesn't work out, and you get fired your benefits will be cut off until an investigation is completed. So for $140/wk, you want to put $598/wk at risk, and that is CRAZY talk.

Or if that part time job starts telling you you have to work on Saturdays and Sundays or second or third shift, and your social life goes down the tubes and you want to quit, you'll have even worse trouble.

Also, once you take it, you change what will be considered suitable work for you in the future. So if you wouldn't want to or afford to do this job fulltime as your primary career, you'll lose your ability to refuse a full time offer from this employer.

Also, they make up the difference on the gross. So the social security, commute time, transportation expenses, etc don't count. You might find that you're actually only NETTING $5/hr. With a $598 WBA, you're worth a lot more than that. Don't sell yourself short.

Please, do not think that you can supplement your UI with a part time job. You keep looking for the right job, stop applying for crap jobs to comply with the work search, and you can take these other jobs AFTER your benefits run out.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb25 View Post
My question is...lets say I work 20 hours a week...GROSS $$180.00..after taxes make $140.00...can Unemployment pay me the difference?
First, you need to report your GROSS wages when filing a claim, NOT net, and these wages need to be reported when you EARN them, NOT when you are paid. NJ's partial benefit formula is as follows:
Quote:
you must declare all earnings for each week of benefits that you claim. Wages must be reported for the week in which they are earned, not when they are paid. The wages you report will be subtracted from your Partial Benefit Rate. The Partial Benefit Rate is 20% higher than your weekly benefit rate. You cannot be paid more than your weekly benefit rate.

For example, if your weekly benefit rate is $200, your Partial Benefit Rate is $240 (20% higher than $200). If you earn $50 during a week, you would receive $190 in unemployment benefits ($240 - $50 = $190).

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment <br> Report Part-Time Earnings
Which means your Partial Benefit Rate is $717.60 ($598 x 1.20), less the $180 wk gross, leaves you a net UE benefit of $537 ($717-180), plus the $140 take home = $677 v. the $598 you are already getting.

You net $79/wk. extra - maybe. ($677-$598=$79)

Second, taking this part-time job could potentially create many more problems than it will solve. Read Chyvan, above.

We have one horror story after another on this board of part-time employers/employment causing serious problems with existing benefits when claimants no longer have that job, not to mention the risk of qualifying for a lower paying claim, and many other disagreeable possibilities.

You have a very high benefit at $598. Is risking that benefit for an additional $79 week worth it? Essentially, you'd be working for $3.95/hr.

Not to mention time and focus lost looking for the proper employment. Your previous job was $85k/year. Focus on finding a position that pays a decent wage instead of expending time and energy in a minimum wage, no doubt frustrating and demeaning, $3.95/hr. part-time job.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-10-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Also, I saw from another post that you have a small child. What is it going to cost you for day care?

Then if this employer schedules you for 32 hours + for one week, NJ considers that full time, so you won't get the difference from 717.60, you'll get 32 X 9 = 288, and then you'll have the hassle of reopening your claim the next week (long hold time) and wishing you'd have never done this.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM

ok. thank you for the clarification. I was not aware of some of the items you posted.

Ladies...please understand I have honestly been looking for full-tim work in my field (Human Resources) for 14 months...(even when I was pregnant)...and NOTHING.

As you know, I do have a child. He is 9 months...was born October 2011. When my unemployment runs out...I will have nothing. I have no one to fall back on..no family or friends. I am on my own. I will be evicted. They just evicted a couple across from me in the next apartment....

I'm at a loss here....I truly am.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 PM

I apologize for any typos....my keyboard on my laptop is going....I literally have to bang the letters now...

Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 PM

When the UI runs out, you resort to TANF and in AZ they call it section 8 housing, and medicaid.

Start researching it now so you're ready to apply the second you get your last check.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
I apologize for any typos....my keyboard on my laptop is going....I literally have to bang the letters now...
I bought a new one on ebay for $7 a few months ago and they are fairly easy to switch out. Use youtube to find a video on your make/model.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Hi Chyvan:

Yep, I am on Medicaid now...so is my son. I actually called today in regards to Section 8...left a voicemail...so I will call again tomorrow.

I reallly apprciate everyone help!!! I will always keep you posted!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
ok. thank you for the clarification. I was not aware of some of the items you posted.

Ladies...please understand I have honestly been looking for full-tim work in my field (Human Resources) for 14 months...(even when I was pregnant)...and NOTHING.

As you know, I do have a child. He is 9 months...was born October 2011. When my unemployment runs out...I will have nothing. I have no one to fall back on..no family or friends. I am on my own. I will be evicted. They just evicted a couple across from me in the next apartment....

I'm at a loss here....I truly am.

It sucks that some jobs for some people are in other cities. All the jobs that I'm qualified for are in Baltimore. I see HR jobs all day everyday in the city of Philadelphia. One of the annoying things about job seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment