Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 09:52 AM

10,061 posts, read 14,935,470 times

Advertisements

Many places go through massive power outages from time to time. A few years ago there was a truly massive one that affected much of the Northeast and Midwest of the USA. It appears it’s Puerto Rico’s turn. This one was island-wide. PR may be small by global standards, but in reality it isn’t that small. An island-wide outage is quite a big deal, IMO.

Apparently, this one was created by a fire at a power plant.

Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses in Puerto Rico still were without power Saturday, more than two days after the start of an island-wide outage that began with a fire at a power plant.
Quote:
An unspecified failure led to a fire at the plant outside the town of Guayanilla on the southwest coast around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday, cutting power across Puerto Rico, Kevin Acevedo, vice president of LUMA Energy, has said. Firefighters have since extinguished the flames.

All customers lost power initially, Josue Colon, Puerto Rico's lead telecommunications and infrastructure engineer, told reporters Thursday, "because all the generating units went offline."

The exact cause wasn't immediately known, the utility has said.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/08/u...day/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 12:32 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,361 times
Yup, and not trying to minimize this, but Maria was worse, much worse. I still have the shipping receipts from the 2017 emergency purchase of a diesel fixed (anchored) generator. None to be had in the island of course; massive looting and theft of portables at the airport and port of San Juan by internal employees (to include parcel companies like FDX and UPS btw). You couldn't really bank on having a mainland shipped generator make it to the intended hands. Policing was effectively limited to looting control at the supply points (gas stations, ATMs, water distribution points), but otherwise you were on. your. own. Car accidents were summarily dismissed in plain sight, armed federal law enforcement hiding in plain clothes at gas lines to police cash theft, and the National Guard controlling access to the ports.

I had to go with a forwarding company (air freight) in KMIA, as mainland companies stopped shipping freight to PR addresses. Then straight up sign on my fathers behalf (yes, forging signatures along the way, and I'm damn proud of it) since I had phone and internet connectivity, in order to get one of those things on an amerijet 767 for him to pick it up with a flatbed and a friend at the airport in person.

I begged to airlift them outta that place, but they decided to anchor down. My father is still low-key ptsd about extended periods of no electricity, and this is man that has gone through dozens of hurricanes through his life mind you. My most memorable was Hugo in 89 as a kid. I still remember collecting roofline water with him after we made a pool out of plugging the drain out of our old home's garage roof, then boiling it. A native boricua's version of family time for us I suppose lol.

They've been rocking that generator ever since, and it has been a great life stabilizer for them. This power outage was a nothingburger for them.

To your macro point, the island continues to "enjoy" its second class status, the labor strife and debt restructuring of PREPA continues even after the federal case has been adjudicated. LUNA (the current contractor managing the power company now), has been hit and miss. Price gouging complaints and not much improvement on the hardware side, as your article points out.

The infrastructure solutions required to bring it up to 1st world standards of power delivery remain stonewalled by political cowardice and corruption. It's not a technical problem; the geographic nature of the place is a red herring. It's a political will problem.

The irony of course, is that last winter I got slammed with a similar week long power AND water outage in precious fIrSt wOrLd tExAs. The irony of these TX denizens mocking PR about "3rd world" infrastructure in 2017, did not escape me one bit. Cheers!

Old 04-10-2022, 01:30 PM

13,442 posts, read 4,283,969 times
What's new? This has been going on for years. You wish you can blame it on a 1 time fire but that's not the bigger picture.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:42 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Many places go through massive power outages from time to time. A few years ago there was a truly massive one that affected much of the Northeast and Midwest of the USA. It appears it’s Puerto Rico’s turn. This one was island-wide. PR may be small by global standards, but in reality it isn’t that small. An island-wide outage is quite a big deal, IMO.

Apparently, this one was created by a fire at a power plant.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/08/u...day/index.html
I've worked in the power generation sector going on 37 years. Something with this power outage just doesn't add up. An incident in one power plant should not have caused an island-wide outage of this magnitude.

There are safeguards designed to confine and isolate electrical failures within each power plant. System relays are supposed to disconnect damaged high voltage equipment from the power grid. A power outage of this magnitude caused by an incident in one power plant, sounds like a lack of preventive maintenance within that power plant and the substation through which that plant's electrical power flows through. Something should have relayed way before the failure affected the grid.

Just my 2 centavos.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I've worked in the power generation sector going on 37 years. Something with this power outage just doesn't add up. An incident in one power plant should not have caused an island-wide outage of this magnitude.

There are safeguards designed to confine and isolate electrical failures within each power plant. System relays are supposed to disconnect damaged high voltage equipment from the power grid. A power outage of this magnitude caused by an incident in one power plant, sounds like a lack of preventive maintenance within that power plant and the substation through which that plant's electrical power flows through. Something should have relayed way before the failure affected the grid.

Just my 2 centavos.

If you can read Spanish, draw your own conclusions from the following article. As I suspected, this incident was caused by a severe lack of planned maintenance.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/...a-de-contexto/

Old 04-12-2022, 04:46 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
If you can read Spanish, draw your own conclusions from the following article. As I suspected, this incident was caused by a severe lack of planned maintenance.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/...a-de-contexto/
You don't need to read Spanish to know that already.....

Old 04-14-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
You don't need to read Spanish to know that already.....
Sure. But there's nothing like being is a position to knowingly state why this happened, how it happened, and how it could have been averted.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:57 AM

189 posts, read 309,203 times
I've visited PR a few times, the San Juan area and loved it. I have a few questions about generators (smaller ones you might have at home for an emergency) and power outages.

If you have a generator, how easy was it to buy gas or diesel fuel for it during a massive power outage? Are some gas stations still open, running on their own generators? How many gallons per day did you need for what size generator?

Old 04-27-2022, 02:15 PM

10,061 posts, read 14,935,470 times
If you see the following video (despite it’s in Spanish) at a certain point the guy points the camera to the city from his high rise apartment in San Juan Metro during the blackout. He mentions, as it’s very clear what areas have power and what areas doesn’t, that most places are on independent generators. Point is that generator ownership is widespread. At such high ownership rates, getting fuel for those things can’t be too difficult except during the aftermath of a hurricane when things run low including gas.

Around 13:30. This is in the Guaynabo area of the San Juan MA. The humming of the generators can be heard.

https://youtu.be/028pMCkssCo

Old 04-27-2022, 02:22 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I've visited PR a few times, the San Juan area and loved it. I have a few questions about generators (smaller ones you might have at home for an emergency) and power outages.

If you have a generator, how easy was it to buy gas or diesel fuel for it during a massive power outage? Are some gas stations still open, running on their own generators? How many gallons per day did you need for what size generator?
My daughter in laws family lives there. They have whole house generators and plenty of money to buy gas, but after the last big hurricane wiped out the power on the island they were only allowed to buy 1 gallon of gas per day and it took hours of standing in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories