Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 AM

216 posts, read 937,419 times

Advertisements

Just a note: I live in Longview and have family in Tyler. Not to say it isn't here, but no one I know has had any issues with gangs. In fact, other than a few thuggy people walking in the malls I haven't seen anything that would have me fear for my safety.

There are certainly areas of town you would want to avoid, but I don't believe you will have any interaction with gangs during your regular routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 PM

66 posts, read 316,630 times
We like a lot of things about Tyler and are also considering it. I have read their salaries are much lower. How does it compare to the costs of food, utilities, etc.? And is living downtown pretty safe if you take reasonable precautions?

Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 24,020 times
This is all great information. My wife and I will be moving to Tyler in the next 3-6 months (can't wait). We will be there a year and then may be moved (for work) somewhere else. We are considering buying a condo and then renting it when we move. My questions:

1. How are the vacancy rates in Tyler? Do I have good chances of finding renters?

2. What location in Tyler is good to buy and easy to rent?

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:24 PM

437 posts, read 2,242,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
Just a note: I live in Longview and have family in Tyler. Not to say it isn't here, but no one I know has had any issues with gangs. In fact, other than a few thuggy people walking in the malls I haven't seen anything that would have me fear for my safety.

There are certainly areas of town you would want to avoid, but I don't believe you will have any interaction with gangs during your regular routine.
ripley, thank you for making me feel better. I hope it is that way.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citytraveller View Post
This is all great information. My wife and I will be moving to Tyler in the next 3-6 months (can't wait). We will be there a year and then may be moved (for work) somewhere else. We are considering buying a condo and then renting it when we move. My questions:

1. How are the vacancy rates in Tyler? Do I have good chances of finding renters?

2. What location in Tyler is good to buy and easy to rent?

Thanks for any help.
Would probably need to contact a realtor in Tyler for the vacancy rates, etc. With the growth off of South Broadway (Hwy 69 South), I would think anything off or near there would be a good investment.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,023,079 times
If you don't mind me giving you advice on a realtor, we have been dealing with a realtor in the Tyler area already. She is actually located in Lindale (which is about 10 miles north of Tyler), however, she has been in the area for quite some time, knows a lot about the area and is a wonderful lady. I am sure she would be MORE than happy to assist you in your real estate needs.
Her name is
Debra Dykes
Moderator cut: Realtor contact

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2007 at 04:08 AM..

Old 01-13-2007, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 25,631 times
Default Information On Whitehouse High School

Can you tell me more about Whitehouse High School? Our daughter has gone to a private elementary/junior high but we are wanting to find a good public high school. What is the town like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamazoo View Post
I live in Whitehouse,Tx just outside of Tyler. I have lived here 30 years. Everyone friendly and caring about their neighbors. Great place to raise children. Whitehouse schools are great with low teacher/student ratios. Very sports oriented community. Lots of golf courses and two large lakes with others nearby. Great hunting and fishing in this area. Lots of churches to choose from. There are 3 major hospitals in the area with all the services you could possibly need. Many doctors with varied specialties. Low crime rate. Roads are impoving with the opening of the new Loop 49 toll road to connect Tyler to I20 without going through the city. Beautiful rose festival and azalea trail activities for fall and spring. Old town style downtown with brick streets and stately mansions. Salaries are pretty low compared to larger cities but cost of living reasonable. I still drive to Dallas on occasion to work as a nurse for more money. Takes an hour to get there.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 25,631 times
What do you know about Whitehouse, Lindale High Schools and the towns themselves? Do you know anything about the Longview area (Spring Hill High School) or White Oak area?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 PM

I've been in Spring Hill for almost 20 years. In Longview for 33. The four schools you mentioned are very good, each with a little different environment. Each community also has a mixture of new developments, existing homes and rural areas.

Lindale appears to be in the midst of some serious growth. Whitehouse is now basically part of Tyler. Spring Hill will continue to sprout new developments with the planned opening of new roads. White Oak stands the best chance of remaining smaller with its own identity.

White Oak and Spring Hill are a bit smaller (SH graduates a little over 100 students each year, WO probably 75 or so) and are in or adjacent to Longview.

Whitehouse and Lindale are a little bigger, but not too big, and adjacent or close to Tyler.

Each school offers a nice variety of courses and have plenty of opportunities for the students to get involved in their schools and communities. Spring Hill and White Oak send a surprisingly high number of students on to major universities and I would assume Whitehouse and Lindale have comparable numbers.

Longview is a little slower paced than Tyler, and our children benefited greatly from the smaller school atmosphere.

Last edited by ripley; 01-13-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,664,957 times
I lived in Tyler for several years in late 90s, was not happy with my job at one of the medical centers, but was nice enough town. Is very hot and humid in summer, little culture to be had. Was pretty countryside for sure and people friendly, cost of living low. Depends on what you want out of a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler