Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 8,186 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I are native Texans who've been living elsewhere for my husband's job and are so happy we get to come back home now since he got a job offer in Tyler!

We're not familiar with the Tyler area (we lived in FW and Houston before) but during the job interview we got set up with a realtor who showed us different areas of Tyler (all on the south side cuz she said we wouldn't want to live in north or east Tyler since it's so far from everything). It seems that everything is growing south and that's where all the conveniences/stores tend to be?
We're not moving for another 8 months or so though.. so in the meantime we'be been scoping out houses on zillow and our two top contenders are in north/northwest Tyler. We also saw several in the south area but the ones on the north end are our favorites. So now I'm just wondering if the realtor was really right and wanting some second opinions.

Is it true that north Tyler isn't very nice and that if we should move there we'll be crossing Tyler all the time to get to where we want to go? (Nice grocery stores, shopping areas, parks, etc?)
I really appreciate the help! I'm going to continue searching through old threads to try to get a grasp on the areas too. It's hard finding a place to live from across the country!!

Ps- about us and what we want in case that's helpful in your answer-
Couple in our 30s with three kids-- will be sending them to school at St Gregory's (or homeschooling.. haven't decided), looking for a place with land. Husband will be going to ETMC area for work daily.

Last edited by AEQZ; 10-25-2016 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Clarify where we lived before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 6,896 times
I personally would keep anywhere south of the Azalea district and north of Grande and within a few blocks either side of Broadway. I recently bought near Old Bullard and Rice and really love the area.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:35 AM

Thanks idk2000! Do you mind explaining specifically why not north tryler? Is it more crime ridden? Or just desolate and nothing to it?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,896 times
IMO the city starts to get less nice as you go north. Most of your everyday conveniences- restaurants, grocery, mall/shopping, entertainment- are going to be south of Loop 323. Downtown has a lot of potential but is lacking.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
You must have seen my MANY posts, if you have been searching old threads/posts. Generally speaking less crime in South Tyler. Yes, most of North/Northwest/Northeast are much older. Little OVERALL shopping available.

I would INCLUDE the Azalea District is a desirable area. MOST of Southeast/Southwest Tyler is fine. A few exceptions, I think you would be able to SEE those if you were looking for housing. No need to define the streets or specific areas.

Part of your post said you were looking for LAND as well, so this changes when I said nothing N,NW,NE. If you get FAR enough OUT to buy land, then most of the areas COULD be OK. Shopping would still be a farther distance than if you found LAND SE/S/SW of Tyler. How much land/acres did you have in mind? I was a former real estate broker in Tyler, not licensed now no referral fee, lol. Just well familiar with the area.

You might enjoy the Liberty Theater downtown. The East Texas Symphony Orchestra is good. I compare if favorably with the Houston Symphony, no not as big, but nice. You might enjoy the U.T.Tyler Cowan Center for plays, Broadway (type) productions. Your children should enjoy the Caldwell Zoo.

Oh, I lived in Houston 25 years too, and the Fort Worth area is where my remaining family live now. You should get more responses soon. Get back with us with more detail, if you like. Best to you, I think you will enjoy Tyler. Where are you moving from, did you like it there? Maybe we would better know what would suite you better.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:12 PM

Thank you Mark! Yes I've come to realize as I went through the threads that you're the local expert on Tyler I appreciate you responding

We're moving from Boston. It has been great in a lot of ways, I actually like it more than I thought we would, but we'll be ready for Texas by the end of the year I'm sure! We're both tired of city living and can't wait to give our kids a yard to play in!

What we're looking for....

3-4+ bedroom home on 5+ acres. Not on the lake/water because of fears of kids safety and also to reduce snakes -- wouldn't say it's a deal breaker if there's water ANYwhere on the land, just not near the house And we could gate in a safe backyard space . The prettier the views the better. Some of the houses I liked on the north side (north of 323 and east of 69) were on 50 acres!! Some of the views looked really pretty! We both want land and space between neighbors. We don't like packed suburbs and cookie cutter homes. We both like traditional classic style homes that are nice and updated but aren't in a country club/ too fancy looking. Those never feel as homey to me

I have a feeling the driving across town for everything would maybe get old but a part of me also feels like it's worth it for the right place??... got some thinking to do.

Last edited by AEQZ; 10-25-2016 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Add details

Old 10-25-2016, 06:04 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Now, 50 acres, you MAY be able to "separate yourself" far enough to be away from, what I call, 'sight pollution". You would/could call it that too, if you "see' some of the the "views" out there. Part of the whole question might be, "how far North or East in miles" you would need to go to find what you liked. Then would it be TOO far to drive.

I found a beautiful area, not acreage, in Wood County, I moved there because it was just too "pretty" park like, to pass up, buuuuuut, the 28 eight mile drive to South Tyler or church, 40 minutes, was just too much, too often. So I moved "back" in town, after 5 years.

You would most likely be able to find property closer in, you might need larger than 5 acres, to "protect" yourself from the surroundings. Northern Smith County might work for you.

Sadly, some people, many people, in Texas "do" "MESS with Texas", litter. So to my displeasure that is a downside to much of this area. Most of Arkansas, Colorado, and really many other states, littering isn't as bad as Texas, especially East Texas. Not just litter, but "junky" littered land, lots, yards.

Ok, some people think I believe the Tyler area is "utopia", well as you can tell, not really. But I think you can find what you need, depends on how much you will or can spend. What you describe can be found closer in on the South side, but much higher priced, for the reasons you know and we've discussed.

If you would like, I always offer people to contact me directly with specific questions. Best to you !

Old 12-21-2016, 08:07 AM

341 posts, read 688,801 times
I live in NW Tyler off 110 (Van Hwy) near Swan, on 8 acres. Wouldn't trade thus for "better areas" of Tyler. The better areas are crowded and expensive. I can be to Lidale in 10 minutes, no traffic. I can be to Sam's Club in 15, no traffic. I might go to south Tyler (Broadway) once a week. Lots of traffic. Takes about 25 minutes, if I go the right time of the day. Wouldn't want to live anywhere near that. You might like Lindale area. Great schools. The work issue with your husband would be the issue.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
In my experience, acreage outside Tyler in any direction can be great. You will pay a lot more SOUTH of Tyler than north, east, or west, though west is getting expensive as well.

In my opinion, the areas south and west of Tyler tend to be prettier geographically - more hilly, better views - than other areas but of course there are exceptions.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 50,925 times
I think homeschooling or unschooling children makes a great deal of sense. They can learn computer programming (as well as anything else that is very valuable) at home. Then it doesn't matter what schools are available. I would Google "unschooling."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler