Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

My wife suffers from severe allergy problems, which were bad in Dallas and even worse now in Lubbock. We are researching places to retire and Tyler is on our list, but we are concerned about allergies. Now, it seems most places have some problems for some people. We already assume that. So, my question is, in general, what is your take on the allergy problem? In comparison, Lubbock is the worst. We know all kinds of people that suffer quite a bit, even to the point of being laid up for a few days at a time. The wind, dust, and harvesting make for real problems for lots of people. She didn't have bad allergies in NC, so we are thinking it may be the dry weather is worse for her than wet. Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM

437 posts, read 925,326 times
I think allergies really depend on the individual and what might be in the environment that they're allergic to. I do better in dry climates and have terrible breathing problems in humidity, but have family members who are just the opposite. Has she ever had an allergy test?

Old 11-09-2013, 05:24 PM

61 posts, read 117,674 times
I agree with rr2005. When I lived in the mid-Atlantic, as well as when visiting the midwest, I'd occasionally get hit pretty hard by grass and hay allergies if I spent too much time in rural settings.

I haven't been affected at all since moving to Tyler, but it's not uncommon for people to really suffer - though not for the same reasons people in Lubbock do, I'd imagine. In the springtime, this area literally experiences pollen showers, and you'll quickly learn what an "East Texas paint job" is (the shade of yellow that all cars, regardless of color, turn as a result of the heavy pollen).

Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 PM

My wife has been on shots for over 10 years, so yes she's been through the testing several times. She's always had some problems, even growing up in Wis. but it got worse in NC, then it got really bad in Dallas, and even worse yet in Lubbock. So it may be that she does worse in dry climates. We've gone to Florida several times in the past 5 years and she normally does much better there, but when she returns to Lubbock, its right back to fighting her allergies again.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
What are her specific allergies? How good or bad an area will be will depend on what plants she is allergic to. If she is allergic to mold then humid areas will be worse for her. If she is allergic to cedar then the Hill Country will be bad for her.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Mold and dust are her biggies, but there are factors that most people don't factor in. For example, people assume the west is good for allergies, but that just depends. High elevation would probably be good, but the west also tends to have lots of areas with high winds. High winds will pick up and put junk in the air and carry it a long distance. We've never lived any place where we knew as many people who have serious allergy problems as here, and Lubbock has high winds. So its our opinion that someplace with much less wind will be better. Not having dust storms will also help.

Interesting thing about the mold allergies also. I've been following a web site that shows where the mold problem is the worst. A lot of times the worst area seems to around I-35 and then spreads northward and eastward. You'd assume places that get a lot of rain are the worst, but that's not universally true. Raleigh NC and most places south into Florida tend to be better for allergies. Its really hard to figure the whole thing out though. Knoxville TN is typically listed as one of the worst places for allergies, yet only a few hundred miles away is Raleigh NC, and it tends to be much much better for those who suffer allergies? Someday, maybe I'll discover what the key of this whole mystery is.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Man, it does appear confusing, it looks like anywhere you go may be a problem to some degree. I'vel lived in East Texas from Tyler to Houston all my 68 years, and encountered people moving here from all over the country/world and found the allergy "response" does vary all over the map, worse,same,better - but in Tyler, tExPatriot sums it up well.

Can you rent here first and give it a try?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler