Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 6,946 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give us an idea of what the weather is like in N.E. Texas? Heat, humidity, storms, highs/lows? Also - curious about how bad the bugs are in the summer. Snakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
NE Texas has mild winters - actually very pleasant winters. In fact, yesterday I worked outside in my yard in shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Today it's a bit too nippy for that!

Pretty high humidity, but I never even notice that since so much of my life has been spent on the east coast and in the southern states, which all have high humidity for much of the time.

We have some rather spectacular thunderstorms, especially in the spring and summer. We regularly have tornado watches and warnings, but I've lived here for twenty years and I've never had significant storm damage from a tornado. However, Hurricane Ike did a real number on my roof a few years back.

We've got bugs - all southern states do. Nothing particularly crazy though. I put out some stuff in my yard a couple of times a year and don't have significant problems with any sort of creepy crawlys - except for fire ants, upon which I wage a constant war.

I live across from a very large pond - about 40 acres - and yet I've never found a snake in my yard. However, prior to living here, I lived out in the country and found, not one, but TWO small grass snakes IN MY HOUSE. Not cool. But they were non poisonous. We do have snakes and I am always on the lookout for them when I am working in my garden, but I've never had a serious run in with one.

Summers are hot hot hot from mid June through September. Fall is warmish but very pretty here - lots of fall leaves and changing colors. Winters are mild, and spring (February thru May) is absolutely BEAUTIFUL here.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Default thanks!

That is very helpful - thanks! We are looking to be out in the country with some acreage, not right in town. The humidity, summer bugs and snakes are my biggest concern. We've lived in NY and MD so are used to a bit of humidity. Curious how NE Texas would compare humidity wise? We are used to high humidity but, given the choice, would opt for some place less humid. The bugs and snakes concern me mainly because I have horses. Is it so unbearable in summer (humidity and bugs) that you don't want to go outside and do yard/farm work, garden or ride your horse?? Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM

I forgot - I would DIE if I found a snake in my house! How are the mosquitoes? Around here (MD), in summer, if you stand still long enough they would pick you up and carry you off. So bad just cutting the lawn is a major challenge. You have to suit up like you are going off to tend to a bee hive!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Mosquitoes normally not THAT bad, my experience out in the country near Tyler for 3 years, small sub-division with 25 homes on 1/2 lot, no problem. Not real sure about what it would be like on larger tracts of land. Snakes in homes are not common, yards sometimes. But lots of people have horses, so, must not be that bad. The heat could be an (issue). Thousands have moved here over the years from (up North) lol, so maybe you would like it. A short visit may not work. You would have to give yourself at least some time to "get used" to it to some degree. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3bbb View Post
That is very helpful - thanks! We are looking to be out in the country with some acreage, not right in town. The humidity, summer bugs and snakes are my biggest concern. We've lived in NY and MD so are used to a bit of humidity. Curious how NE Texas would compare humidity wise? We are used to high humidity but, given the choice, would opt for some place less humid. The bugs and snakes concern me mainly because I have horses. Is it so unbearable in summer (humidity and bugs) that you don't want to go outside and do yard/farm work, garden or ride your horse?? Thanks again!
The humidity of eastern Texas is more on par with the eastern Midwest, so we're a bit muggier and hotter than New York or Maryland.

The bugs are a pain to me, and they drive me up the wall sometimes. I wouldn't mind summer at all, if it didn't mean having to deal with those jokers.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I lived in Virginia and in Maryland right on the Chesapeake Bay for many years of my life and the humidity here doesn't bother me any more than it did there but I may not be the best 1 to ask because the humidity in general has never bothered me that much anywhere I have ever lived.

As for mosquitoes they have just never been very attracted to me I guess! They bother my husband sometimes but they don't bother me.

The more I think about it I am probably just not a good judge of heat humidity or bugs in Texas or the South!

If I were you I would plan a 2 week vacation here in say July and see then if you could deal with it for the long haul.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3bbb View Post
I lived in New York city forever one year. The summer was pretty hot. My comparison was the gulf coast of Texas.

I will say that here in Nacogdoches we had a brutal summer two years ago and the summed last year was no picnic either. However, unlike the Gulf Coast you can get out in the early morning and late afternoon.

Unlike the coast, where mosquitos are ubiquitous, you have to look for them here. I live in town on a hill with a slough down the hill maybe a hundred yards away, we find a lost mosquito every once in a while.

On the other hand, my brother lives on a slough at the edge of a large lake, (Toledo Bend) and he has to put out the candles and things to have a BBQ.

My main thing to do in July and August is look at Google maps and dream about road trips to Colorado or Canada. It gets hot, but typically the humidity does really kick in until the last half of July, even then it is not as bad as the coast.

It seems that the really ugly weather in the form of Toranados stays near I-20. We have them, but not so many and not so big.

My biggest fear of getting hurt or killed is driving. The speed limits have been raised to 75 on the rural roads. You can round a curve and a tractor can be blocking the road, you can be approaching a log truck or a water truck with a driver who has put in too many hours, but most likely you will meet someone doing either 80 while texting or 50 while talking on the phone. Either way, it is a more exiting life than it used to be.

By the way, we just looked at a 60 acre place near Martinsville, up on the ridge, it had a nice pasture, a big house and a nice barn for, 425 k.

The house alone was a 295 k house.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Even here on the Gulf Coast, mosquitoes are the least of my worries. A good repellant keeps them away. No, the biggest annoyance is gnats, anything else that jumps or flies around your face, and, of course, the big roaches. I don't see them here as much as I did in Georgia, but you may have an encounter or several over the course of late spring and summer.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Default thx

thanks for all the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler