Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:30 AM

20 posts, read 54,531 times

Advertisements

Great information to be had here! I was interested in what asdfjkl123 had to say about Whitehouse and the education system..what encompasses the district? Is it separate from the Tyler School District? How many elementary, middle and high schools? Do you feel the children are well prepared for college (I mean major university)? Also, no "hicks"? Darn...I kind of like hicks! And can you define upscale for me? What is the average home price? I appreciate your information! We are looking to relocate back to Texas from Shreveport (ugh) and are highly considering the Lindale/Tyler area (originally from DFW/northeast Texas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_vaughan View Post
Great information to be had here! I was interested in what asdfjkl123 had to say about Whitehouse and the education system..what encompasses the district? Is it separate from the Tyler School District? How many elementary, middle and high schools? Do you feel the children are well prepared for college (I mean major university)? Also, no "hicks"? Darn...I kind of like hicks! And can you define upscale for me? What is the average home price? I appreciate your information! We are looking to relocate back to Texas from Shreveport (ugh) and are highly considering the Lindale/Tyler area (originally from DFW/northeast Texas).

Whitehouse is separate from Tyler ISD. Since Tyler education is... well... We are proud to have many of the smartest students in East Texas, we have won 4 UIL District meets in a row, and have been really impressive in UIL against mega city schools like Houston and San Antonio. We beat easily beat their schools in an academic meet. It is neighborhood schools now since we are growing very fast. We have 4 elementaries ( Pre-k through 5th), 1 6th grade school, a Junior High school with grades 7 and 8, and a high school, grades 9,10,11,12. Most of the kids are very well educated and well prepared for Ivy League schools. In fact most of the students go to Ive league universities. Upscale would be that we dont have a specific ghetto or a really dirty or trashy area, and everything is being remodeled. So it is very nice. We are becoming a major tourist town now, since we are right by lake tyler. Hope you can pick Whitehouse as the town for you! ( We have the best fried pies in TX!!! If that could influence your decision! haha)

Old 07-11-2009, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 18,627 times
Lindale ISD is an Exemplary School District and would be the choice of the schools in Smith County.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 AM

43 posts, read 142,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfjkl123 View Post
Most of the kids are very well educated and well prepared for Ivy League schools. In fact most of the students go to Ive league universities.
No offense but do you know what an "Ivy League school" is?

The Ivy League is Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Colombia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and the University of Pennsylvania. That's it. There are no other Universities in the Ivy League.

So frankly, I doubt the Whitehouse ISD has sent more than a couple of graduates to the Ivy league since it was founded, let alone "most if the students."

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 20,848 times
I moved to Whitehouse 2 years ago from the NorthWest. The houses are nice and higher priced than Tyler or other outlying areas, and property taxes are reeeeeaaallly high. The police/emergency services do a great job and run a tight ship. I picked this suburb specifically for the schools. I have elementary school aged children and i've frankly not been very impressed with the schools. Granted i'm sure they're much better than Tyler i suppose i was just spoiled before i moved to the south. Prepare to have to sign a form if you dont want your children spanked and prepare to have teachers sneaking and praying with your kids in class. The town is nice and i've found several people here who even are nice once you tell them that you're not interested in attending thier church. I've got nothing against God, i just dont like the people who work for him.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:40 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,090,385 times
Property taxes are high in ALL of Texas none of us are used to that. In what I have heard, much higher than the Northwest. Whitehouse taxes are average in Texas. The Whitehouse tax rate is higher than the total tax rate in Tyler. Higher school and much higher city tax rate. Again, Tyler's city property tax is the lowest in Texas of any place with a population over 15,000 with a tax rate of .20 per 100 valuation. $400 on a $200,000 tax valued house.

I'm happy for you that the area seems to be somewhat OK for you.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 31,965 times
I have to admit it is kind of funny when I read the words ghetto, or Hicks, and even really dirty or trashy.
I am orignally from LA and then moved up into the NorthWest (Portland Or) to be exact, now we are in Phoenix AZ and possibly on our way to the Tyler area. My husband is a DR and I have been in banking for 10 years now. Both are very open minded and we have 2 children under the age of 4. I am religious to a point, more so them my husband and we are a "mixed family" ....
So what would that mean for people in Tyler. Would it be an ok fit?
lol! We do love country areas and smaller "towns" Since having children we both are much more laid back and settled. Although I still have to have my city near by. My husband would rather have a lake or river he can kayak in.
Our avg. home when we bought here in Phoenix was about 300k. However now you can get that same home for about 200k these days! So I assume we would find great living in Texas. Is that right?
I'd love to hear other thoughts and ideas...
Thank you

Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,090,385 times
The "mixed family" should be just fine in Tyler. Now, Tyler IS more Deep South than being West or even Southwest or Texas imo of 63 years, but a lot of wanna be cowboys, which is a good mix I guess. You "could/would get a few double takes" but no big deal. Gee, now that I think, maybe no double takes in Tyler proper?

Tyler is not overbuilt much even close to the extent of Phoenix. DFW area your $200,000 would get you a track home. Here most anything above $180,000 is a custom home, especially $300,000 which there is a porptionately a large number of "expensive" homes, 300,000 to 600,000 houses, I used to be a real estate broker, lots of retires and professionals for our size, remember the medical center of East Texas serving, gee maybe even serving a 500,000 population, the financial center of East Texas, former oil center of East Texas. but yep, lots of poorer folks too, Not like the Dallas Suburb of Southlake, Forbes voted as the most affulent suburb in the country. I know what you need for a house is here, but such a short time to find it, again good luck

However, Tyler is over the top - Dallas Cowboy Country - many think we are suburb of Dallas. lol

Last edited by Mark Senior; 08-06-2009 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM

8 posts, read 31,965 times
it sounds like a pretty regular place then. Its so funny the people here in phoenix..when they think of TX they things that come out of their mouths.
I love TX. (although only been to the big cities) and my friends and family see to like it.
Mark-Tyler is special. I love your replies. you are filled with good info on Tx.
You can come to our housewarming
Im excited! My hubby will be out there in Sept.
One of his job oppt. is ETMC. I hear that is an amazing hospital so he is very much looking forward to that!
The medical system in AZ is real sad.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,905 times
Default Whitehouse is a bunch of wana be yuppies

White house is a city w ith a lot of inner goverment troubles and Pains, with the high property taxes and wait until you get a water bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler