Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM

155 posts, read 427,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
As a single person who had become accustomed to the city life in Atlanta, I personally would not look forward to living in a place as small as Tyler. It wouldn't even be a new experience as Tyler is basically like a small city anywhere in the south east. Pine trees, crepe myrtles, churches, conservatives, pick up trucks, etc. And no, Dallas and Houston aren't that close at all especially when you consider gas prices. Believe me when I tell you that those weekend road trips just to get to some nightlife will get old quick. I know this first hand.

Not to discourage you, but unless you're willing to trade big city living for small town, I'd reconsider my options
This may be random, but that sounded more encouraging than discouraging. A taste of home, I guess. LOL! Funny, if you wouldn't have listed all the things I'm so familiar and comfortable with, I may have agreed with you. Instead, you convince me to enjoy that part of Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM

155 posts, read 427,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy1980 View Post
I agree people don't do these things every day. If one is gonna go to a concert or sports event then it would be worth a drive to Dallas. Museums? Aren't those for vacations? J/K....Although I remember going to the childrens one in Tyler like 7 years ago, lol...It was cute.

So here is a question. Does anyone fly to Dallas? How much does it cost?
Also I have heard Tyler has progressed since I was last there(7 years) so there are bars now? Can you buy liquor at stores? How is downtown aea now?
That totally depends on the TYPE of concert. One could argue that a Texas Country artist like Randy Rogers or Honey brown could attract a plethora of locals... And those concerts thrive in these smaller cities. It's a part of Texas culture, don't leave it out!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Smile Tyler

Not heard of on any restaurants where BYB exists? Maybe they do, but everywhere I've been in the last 5 years plus, drinks were sold without buying a "card" either, that was many years ago. It's wide open at the restaurants no difference than anywhere else.

Only maybe 10 minutes to liquor store in Winona and Troup. Now, is that "progressive or what?" lol - not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Before MetroMatt comes and corrects you, I'll do it myself. Not the entire county is dry, just part of it including Tyler, but there is still a bit of a drive involved unless you want some Texas wine from the one wine store in town. (I guess that's still a bit of a drive if you don't live in that part of town.) Also, some restaurants make you bring your own bottle of wine and probably charge a ridiculous "opening" fee. But this may be inconsequential to the original poster who may not even be here anymore since this thread is months old.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Default Concerts in Tyler

The Cowen Center is a 12 year old, 22 million dollar facility at that time, on the campus of the University at Texas Tyler. It offers season tickets to concerts, events, performances that actually are on the circuit thru Dallas, and Houston. Other special "show" events are held during the year. In 2010 over 38,000 people attended. You do have "some" options similar to larger cities.

Even the East Texas Symphony Orchestra is very good. I was pleased with the ETSO when I first compared them to the Houston Symphony, no not top notch like Houston, but quite nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaKH View Post
That totally depends on the TYPE of concert. One could argue that a Texas Country artist like Randy Rogers or Honey brown could attract a plethora of locals... And those concerts thrive in these smaller cities. It's a part of Texas culture, don't leave it out!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Not heard of on any restaurants where BYB exists? Maybe they do, but everywhere I've been in the last 5 years plus, drinks were sold without buying a "card" either, that was many years ago. It's wide open at the restaurants no difference than anywhere else.
I ate at some Italian restaurant that was like that; I think it was Little Italy. I don't know if I ate at any others that were like that or just got it in my head that it was common because I know I've eaten at ones that did serve alcohol. Of course that's not saying much though, even Carthage has/had a bar.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Default You Know

I think your are correct. I stand corrected. I enjoy Little Italy, has great food not expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I ate at some Italian restaurant that was like that; I think it was Little Italy. I don't know if I ate at any others that were like that or just got it in my head that it was common because I know I've eaten at ones that did serve alcohol. Of course that's not saying much though, even Carthage has/had a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler