Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Tyler is growing and will continue to grow. right now there is a 7st. Hospital being build http://www.tmfhs.org/ a redevelopment of a downtown building being converted into a hotel, County sells old Carlton Hotel - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports and much more.
Yea, we've seen that. Every single article posted about Tyler in the last year has been posted on this forum. Tyler is indeed growing, nobody disputes that.

But I really do think that I-20 and the Target Distribution center really has "choked off" Lindale!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Smith County is constantly touted as the "wettest dry county" in Texas. Winona, which is in northern Smith County recently went wet a year or so ago. You can buy liqueur less than 10 miles north of Downtown Tyler for crying out loud!

We have an upscale winery down near Bullard also 10 miles outside of Tyler called Kiepersol & another location across from Broadway Square Mall where you can wine test & purchase some of the finest of wines Texas has to offer all while listening to a live pianist.

The new Brookshires Fresh organic food market you can actually have a cold one, or two, or three while you shop or get plastered out on the patio over looking the rolling hills & tree line of South Tyler while waiting on your freshly steamed African Trout. There is also the Gelato bar (Italian Ice Cream for all you non cosmopolitan people) which is absolutely delicious. Everything used in the construction of this concept grocery store was from sustainable & recycled materials. Even all of the parking lot lights are ultra low power consuming LED's (100 watts max) versus your typical sodium or metal halide parking lot flood lights which use up to 1,000 watts a piece.

Tyler just got a BJ's Brewhouse near the mall. Uptown Tyler is growing like crazy these days. A Chuy's Mexican Restaurant is going in as we speak & should be complete in the next few weeks.

Hows all that for a so called dry county in a wanna be cosmopolitan city?

My travels have taken me outside of Tyler & well beyond Dallas my friend. As a matter of fact, I've lived in both Dallas (2 years) & Houston (5 years) while traveling to both more times than I can even begin to count during my lifetime...Houston is like my second home. I've been to LA, SF, SJ, SA, ATX, NO, CHI, DC, & NYC just to name a few cities.
Matt, you just proved my point. Boasting about these little things that people have had for 20+ years in other cities doesn't make Tyler seem like its very forward thinking. It does the opposite. People think you don't have much to offer when you're boasting about little things that residents take for granted in other cities. When your growth is no longer defined by a Texas-based chain restaurant coming to town, or getting drunk in a grocery store, Tyler will be looking up. Waco has had Chuy's and gelato for a few years now -- WACO. That is still about 20 years after it was popular in other cities. Congratulations?

Frankly, I already assumed you could get fish and gelato in Tyler and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But when you boast about it, that makes me think it just happened. And getting plastered at a grocery store is supposed to make me think the city is cosmopolitan? Why on earth would anyone want to do that? Don't you have a seafood restaurant that serves beer?

Tyler doesn't even need to worry about being cosmopolitan. Just focus on serving Tyler's citizens and don't pretend to be something you're not. That will make the city grow faster than you can imagine. People aren't going to move to Tyler to live in a loft apartment building and ride the light rail. They're going to enjoy the pretty countryside, rolling hills, lakes, tall trees and live in a house. Play to your strengths. Tyler has plenty of natural beauty that it can be proud of. Also, the hospitals seem huge and modern for a town the size of Tyler. That's another great thing it has going for it.

I heard the "wettest dry county" point all the time growing up in Tyler. The fact remains that there is a significant stigma in the Tyler community over "drinking." It feels backwards. A winery with a pianist? That sounds unnecessarily pretentious and reminds me of what Tylerites considered "cultured" while growing up. Being stuffy was a way of life.

My grandfather was Mayor of Lindale and Sheriff of Smith County. I've got nothing but warm wishes for the area. It's just not going to be a sophisticated urban place for a long time. And that's okay.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 04-08-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Quit trying to make Tyler something it isnt. Places like Boston or San Fran or Seattle are far more urban than either Dallas or Houston will ever be, and yet are smaller by comparison. Whether a city is considered a "big" city or not, isnt what determines how cosmopolitan it is. If people dont think Tyler has cosmopolitan amenities because it is small compared to Houston or DFW, then let them.
Dallas and Houston will never become urban like those cities, but they could definately become as urban as those cities. And, in certain areas have already achieved this.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Dallas and Houston will never become urban like those cities, but they could definately become as urban as those cities. And, in certain areas have already achieved this.
Ill agree to disagree. The foundation nor the history just isnt there for either to become as urban nor as cosmopolitan as those cities. Neither is the culture. Nevertheless, I acknowledge your contention.

P.S. Im not saying that Tyler is urban either. Im just saying that neither of Texas' frontrunners can hold a candle to the type of urbanity of some other cities. And if 'urban' isnt defined by its traditional standard, then what would keep people from considering, say, Kilgore urban?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Ill agree to disagree. The foundation nor the history just isnt there for either to become as urban nor as cosmopolitan as those cities. Neither is the culture. Nevertheless, I acknowledge your contention.

P.S. Im not saying that Tyler is urban either. Im just saying that neither of Texas' frontrunners can hold a candle to the type of urbanity of some other cities. And if 'urban' isnt defined by its traditional standard, then what would keep people from considering, say, Kilgore urban?
What do you mean cosmopolitan? Especially in regards to Seattle. Houston and Dallas are both much more diverse than Seattle, for one. Seattle may be "urban" and offer more urban-type living, like you would see in the Northeast cities, but I wouldn't say it's more cosmopolitan or worldly than Dallas or Houston. Especially considering Houston's industries versus Seattle. Same with Boston. I will say that San Fran is both more urban and cosmopolitan than Houston and Dallas.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Foundation is developed. History is gained. Becoming cosmopolitan can be achieved from economic and population growth. Culture is everywhere.

It's a false assumption to think Dallas and Houston can never become urban as the cities you mentioned. Both cities are already radically different from where they were even 30 years ago.

Last edited by First24; 04-08-2011 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,756 times
I wish we could keep this about Tyler.

But I agree that even our largest Texas cities aren't all that urban compared to cities on the coasts. We have so much land, it is hard to justify the density. Also, our cities are being developed while the car is the main mode of transportation. So that changes how our cities develop as well. That will change over time. All Texas cities should just try to be the best city that they can. There is lots of potential here.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Foundation is developed. History is gained. Becoming cosmopolitan can be achieved from economic and population growth. Culture is everywhere.

It's a false assumption to think Dallas and Houston can never become urban as the cities you mentioned. Both cities are already radically different from where they were even 30 years ago.

Right History is gained and neither Dallas or Houston have gained the history of a place like Boston. And as a native of Tyler, even I can tell you that Tyler has changed dramatically from what it was 30 years ago. That certainly doesnt make it urban. It just means that it has changed. Which is great, but not necessarily urban.

However, I disagree that foundation is developed. The foundation for a traditionally urban city is directly linked to its history which is only relative to the present. DFW or Houston's history simply isnt the same as some other more urban cities. Whether a place has a car culture or a pedestrian culture, or a worldly or provincial culture, or a blue collar or white collar culture is a consequence of its history...No planning or development initiative is going to create those things with authenticity without its historical foundation.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I wish we could keep this about Tyler.

But I agree that even our largest Texas cities aren't all that urban compared to cities on the coasts. We have so much land, it is hard to justify the density. Also, our cities are being developed while the car is the main mode of transportation. So that changes how our cities develop as well. That will change over time. All Texas cities should just try to be the best city that they can. There is lots of potential here.
Pretty much my point entirely.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Right History is gained and neither Dallas or Houston have gained the history of a place like Boston. And as a native of Tyler, even I can tell you that Tyler has changed dramatically from what it was 30 years ago. That certainly doesnt make it urban. It just means that it has changed. Which is great, but not necessarily urban.

However, I disagree that foundation is developed. The foundation for a traditionally urban city is directly linked to its history which is only relative to the present. DFW or Houston's history simply isnt the same as some other more urban cities. Whether a place has a car culture or a pedestrian culture, or a worldly or provincial culture, or a blue collar or white collar culture is a consequence of its history...No planning or development initiative is going to create those things with authenticity without its historical foundation.
Moving on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: