Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2024, 11:36 AM

8,641 posts, read 10,174,805 times

Advertisements

Next up in the GOT universe:

A century before the events of Game of Thrones, there was Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire, Egg. Executive produced by George R. R. Martin, Ira Parker, Ryan Condal and Vince Gerardis, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight has received a straight to series order. Chronologically, it is set about 72 years after House of the Dragon and about 100 years before GOT.

Official Website: https://www.hbo.com/a-knight-of-the-...e-hedge-knight

Production should start this Spring and casting has begun: https://deadline.com/2024/04/game-of...ng-1235876884/

A release date is still unknown; however, showrunners are shooting for a late 2025 release.

"There are two more novellas, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, that were published in various anthologies. All three of the narratives were later published together under the collective title A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms."

There’s no official word on The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight from HBO or Time Warner Discovery but, Martin has said, “If The Hedge Knight turns out as well as we hope it will, our hope would be to go on and adapt The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight as well.”

https://deadline.com/feature/hedge-k...te-1235836300/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 12:23 PM

22,935 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Really excited! I actually enjoy these stories more than GAME OF THRONES. Very well done, and the episodic nature of the novellas makes them perfectly suited to TV.

Viewers who haven't read the books might actually be a little shocked by this series. GAME OF THRONES has a very cynical worldview with lots of gray characters.

THE HEDGE KNIGHT has what you can only describe as an "old-fashioned" hero. Ser Duncan isn't the sharpest sword mentally, but he always tries to do the right thing, even at great cost. And Egg is fantastic. If the showrunners do this right, they could have one of the best "buddy" adventure shows of all time.

I know nothing about the two actors they have cast, but both certainly look their parts to perfection.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,611,115 times
I certainly hope that the show is successful and lasts for at least 3-4 years, but I have my doubts.

Fans of the franchise of GRRM's "GOT"-and related TV series expect a high level of violence, sex, deaths of beloved characters, general misery/tragedy for the protagonists. The story of Dunk & Egg is not as grimdark, though though there is duplicity and intrigue. Neither Dunk nor Egg loses a hand or is killed and then revived. Another thing that GRRM TV fans are used to and probably expect - live dragons - do not appear in the time of Dunk & Egg.

I am certainly looking forward to it, and hope that the actors (particularly Dunk & Egg's players) and writers do the stories justice. (I'm really looking forward to seeing King Maekar, who I think was one of the more interesting Targaryens)

Old Today, 05:54 AM

22,935 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Fans of the franchise of GRRM's "GOT"-and related TV series expect a high level of violence, sex, deaths of beloved characters, general misery/tragedy for the protagonists.
Not sure about that. If a high level of violence, sex, and death were what attracted viewers, WESTWORLD would still be on HBO. As would LOVECRAFT COUNTRY. If sex, volence, and death were all it took to have a hit show, there would be a lot of TV shows still on the air.

GAME OF THRONES certainly had sex, violence, and death, but that wasn't made the show special --- at that wasn't was lost in the final seasons. In fact, the final season ramped all that up, and most fans agree the final seasons were a huge disappointment.

What GAME OF THRONES had that many other shows are lacking was characters we genuinely cared about --- both heroes and villains. We loved our heroes and loved to hate our villains --- and who that was sometimes changed from season to season. And that is a huge part of what was lost in the final seasons. I speak only for myself, but I wanted everyone except for Brienne to die. Arya, get over yourself. Sansa, open your eyes. Wow, Tyrion is an idiot now. Just die already, Cersei. And Jon Snow, please stop whining.

A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS certainly has intrigue, violence, and death. There is still sex in the stories, but it isn't as in-you-face or downright twisted as it sometimes was in GAME OF THRONES. And it has great characters and a lot of heart. If the showrunners do this right, they could have a winner on their hands. Or they could have fans crying for their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV