Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 04:03 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times

Advertisements

Depends what you like in terms of your crime-DRAMA. HSB was a bit more "g" rated...er, PG13 now adays.

NYPD Blue had some genuine gut-wrenching moments (Jimmy Smits exit, anyone?) - TV had really learned to do "movie like" drama by then, something that wasn't often part of HSB - there were a few, and they were great episodes at the time.

But watching Andy Sipowicz live his life (don't quote me on the spelling..) phew...well, he's a stronger man than me.

The Shield - wow. That show - some truly graphic moments, some horrible people...that you cheer for, some real edge-of-your-seat drama - some may say "common" in 2024, but in 2002...yikes. I think network TV has actually toned it back a notch after that show. Very, very painful to watch...and yet...ya couldn't look away. Also introduced me to Coldplay...spiderweb...what a moment.

Don't judge yesterday's shows by today's norms. Go. Watch. All good in their way and in their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 09:43 PM

183 posts, read 105,039 times
For me, Hill Street Blues just pips NYPD Blue (loved both of them, though). Have recently finished watching Hill Street and it was every bit as good as I remembered from all those years ago. Loved the characters Mick Belker and Lucy Bates.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:21 PM

11,794 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Hill Street for sure.

TV shows are an escape from reality for most of us and pure entertainment. If you sit there and concentrate on everything they are doing wrong - what entertainment value are you getting from it? That's why after I started in medicine - I didn't watch medical shows though most have advisors these days so it's as close to true as it can be.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:41 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I guess Hulu dropped Hill Street Blues but I found it here. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/hill-street-blues I am not familiar with "Channel 4" but it seems like the only option.

I didn't know Dennis Franz was in Hill Street Blues and I look forward to seeing him in HSB. He was such a great actor in NYPD Blue; a great actor in general and I respect his service in Vietnam with the 101st and 82nd airborne. In general, he is a man I respect. I did a little bit of research on Dennis Franz and I had no idea he was in the Dixie Chicks video "Goodbye Earl". In my opinion, John Wayne had nothing on Dennis Franz.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:36 PM

12,388 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I guess Hulu dropped Hill Street Blues but I found it here. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/hill-street-blues I am not familiar with "Channel 4" but it seems like the only option.

I didn't know Dennis Franz was in Hill Street Blues and I look forward to seeing him in HSB. He was such a great actor in NYPD Blue; a great actor in general and I respect his service in Vietnam with the 101st and 82nd airborne. In general, he is a man I respect. I did a little bit of research on Dennis Franz and I had no idea he was in the Dixie Chicks video "Goodbye Earl". In my opinion, John Wayne had nothing on Dennis Franz.
Dennis Franz had two roles. First as a notable guest and in the last few seasons as another character, a Lieutenant assigned to Hill Street. Which lead to a half season spinoff comedy as the lead character when Hill Street finished its run
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV