Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 05:37 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Doug Heffernan is one of the funniest characters of all-time and if he was at your workplace or house then you'd laugh at him. Even when he's arguing with you, you'd laugh at his weird voice and body language. Actually Carrie (played by Leah Remini) smirks or half laughs at Doug sometimes. But Arthur (played by Jerry Stiller) never laughs at Doug.

George's dad - Jerry Stiller as well - also never laughs at anything. His persona is 'aggravated' and it works both on Seinfeld and King of Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 07:30 PM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
George's dad - Jerry Stiller as well - also never laughs at anything. His persona is 'aggravated' and it works both on Seinfeld and King of Queens.
Yeah I rarely found Frank Costanza funny, just very loud.
Whereas Arthur Spooner was the funniest old guy I've ever seen. And Arthur laughed and had a big smile and was jovial, but never laughed at Doug. Its like Arthur was always angry at Doug but was happy toward nearly everyone else. He laughed at Carrie and Spence especially.
I'm glad they were extremely different characters, and that was the intention too, because Jerry Stiller would not want to play the same character in each show.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:09 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Yeah I rarely found Frank Costanza funny, just very loud.
Whereas Arthur Spooner was the funniest old guy I've ever seen. And Arthur laughed and had a big smile and was jovial, but never laughed at Doug. Its like Arthur was always angry at Doug but was happy toward nearly everyone else. He laughed at Carrie and Spence especially.
I'm glad they were extremely different characters, and that was the intention too, because Jerry Stiller would not want to play the same character in each show.

I don't remember Arthur laughing a lot, but you're right that he was friendlier towards others. But that's on purpose. He's the father-in-law and supposed to have a more terse relationship with Doug. It's a common TV trope (based on a general cliche) that people are supposed to have a difficult time with their in-laws, especially men with their wives' fathers and women with their husbands' mothers (see also Everybody Loves Raymond).

Old 12-18-2023, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't remember Arthur laughing a lot, but you're right that he was friendlier towards others. But that's on purpose. He's the father-in-law and supposed to have a more terse relationship with Doug. It's a common TV trope (based on a general cliche) that people are supposed to have a difficult time with their in-laws, especially men with their wives' fathers and women with their husbands' mothers (see also Everybody Loves Raymond).
Yeah Arthur didn't laugh "a lot", but he laughed and had a big smile and got excited and was optimistic about new ideas.
While Frank did not laugh (and neither did his wife), so the difference was huge because of Frank being such a stick-in-the-mud.
Everybody Loves Raymond is definitely the most miserable sitcom I've ever seen. The angriest family EVER. Non-stop whining and arguments.
And unlike Jerry Seinfeld who could change the expression of his voice better than anyone, Ray had an extremely dull and lifeless voice so I found him and his show very boring.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:48 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Laughing at someone else's jokes when you SHOULDN'T laugh at someone else's jokes to me is the funniest of all.

Tim Conway and Harvey Korman are shining examples.. If we go to movies.. The "Biggus Dickus" scene from Monty Python's The Life of Brian..

of course.. Jimmy Fallon ruined this some by overuse.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Laughing at someone else's jokes when you SHOULDN'T laugh at someone else's jokes to me is the funniest of all.

Tim Conway and Harvey Korman are shining examples.. If we go to movies.. The "Biggus Dickus" scene from Monty Python's The Life of Brian..

of course.. Jimmy Fallon ruined this some by overuse.
Haha yes I've noticed Fallon's overuse.
I think Letterman did the right amount, and his laugh itself was a funny sound.
Plus Letterman has a wide variety of laughing noises, whereas Fallon's laugh sounds the same every time.

I remember Letterman interviewing Tom Cruise, and Cruise wasn't saying anything particularly funny, but Letterman couldn't stop (genuinely) laughing at what Cruise was saying.
And then Cruise starting laughing at Letterman's laugh.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:53 PM

Here it is-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecwh7g5GnP0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV