Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:14 PM

11,092 posts, read 6,982,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think they have 4 more episodes in Season 2. The final episode if it's still as planned is a wedding. The wedding is to be held outside at Pioneer Sq in downtown Portland. There was no word on who is getting married. The writer of the show is Scott Pendergrast who is from Portland. He based the series on him and his Mother. His Mother lives in one of the expensive Hi Rises in Portland. Notice how MGH lives in one on the show. The Todd show was appealing to me not just because I liked it. I could relate to the Portland location in the series. In fact I am moving back to Portland Jun 1st, after living away for 12 years.
Good for you! I was born in Portland, not raised. My mother was born and raised, I've spent a lot of time there in childhood and lived there for 7 years in the oughts. Will be visiting again very soon. I've been away almost 14 years. I too love seeing the various locations and trying to figure out where they are. It's filmed in Vancouver B.C. so I wonder how many places they actually film on the streets of Portland.

You'd think they would feature one of the few remaining eternal drinking fountains that used to be everywhere downtown when I was a kid (50's and 60's). I think there are a few left. As a kid from California, I loved that novelty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 07:25 PM

9,544 posts, read 16,576,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Good for you! I was born in Portland, not raised. My mother was born and raised, I've spent a lot of time there in childhood and lived there for 7 years in the oughts. Will be visiting again very soon. I've been away almost 14 years. I too love seeing the various locations and trying to figure out where they are. It's filmed in Vancouver B.C. so I wonder how many places they actually film on the streets of Portland.

You'd think they would feature one of the few remaining eternal drinking fountains that used to be everywhere downtown when I was a kid (50's and 60's). I think there are a few left. As a kid from California, I loved that novelty!
I wasn't born or raised in Portland but lived there much of my adult life. It became home somewhere along the way, and I will be glad to get back. It must have been wonderful growing up there when you were a kid.

There still are a few of the drinking fountains around downtown. There is one at Yamhill, The Park Blocks have some . I think I've seen some by the Waterfront also. As far as the show your right it's filmed in Vancouver. Other than a few shots of Portland now and then, and some mention of Metro Portland locations. That's about all we get concerning Portland in the show.

I hope you have a nice visit when you get to Portland.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:51 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,375,529 times
Quote:
I too love seeing the various locations and trying to figure out where they are. It's filmed in Vancouver B.C. so I wonder how many places they actually film on the streets of Portland.
Lots of modern TV shows and movies are "set" in Seattle, Portland, or even San Francisco but actually filmed in Vancouver, BC. How do you spot the difference?

Are the streets and sidewalks clean? You're probably looking at Vancouver.

Are the streets broken and clogged with traffic? Is trash clogging the gutters? Lots of graffiti and vandalism on the buildings? Do locals all look like they're in a bad mood? You're probably looking at Seattle or Portland.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:19 AM

50,443 posts, read 64,262,565 times
I hear the show is cancelled. Too bad. We liked it.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I wasn't born or raised in Portland but lived there much of my adult life. It became home somewhere along the way, and I will be glad to get back. It must have been wonderful growing up there when you were a kid.

There still are a few of the drinking fountains around downtown. There is one at Yamhill, The Park Blocks have some. I think I've seen some by the Waterfront also. As far as the show your right it's filmed in Vancouver. Other than a few shots of Portland now and then, and some mention of Metro Portland locations. That's about all we get concerning Portland in the show.

I hope you have a nice visit when you get to Portland.
Thanks, I visited frequently as a child, but was raised in Southern California. Back then 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, Portland was a fantastically beautiful place. Very mellow and clean. I used to say there was a church on every street corner (true, almost). The last time I said that was in 1981. Portland like every other city has its pros and cons. I'll be interested to see "how bad" it's become when I visit soon. I'm glad I experienced the Portland of yore. Very nice memories. I had relatives all over town: Council Crest, NE, Oregon City and Happy Rock (Gladstone). Again, it was so beautiful and wonderful.

Of course, I'm sure all of SHMT's live action on streets is filmed in Vancouver, with pre-recorded shots of downtown, panoramas, etc. of Portland. They might drop in to Portland occasionally for live shots, but more likely using some sort of CGI or green screen (whatever -- I'm not a tekkie).

Old 04-23-2024, 09:04 PM

Marcia Gay Harden and Skylar Astin have both shared the Change.org petition on their Instagram accounts. It's gaining steam. If you're so moved, search out the petition and sign it.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Marcia Gay Harden and Skylar Astin have both shared the Change.org petition on their Instagram accounts. It's gaining steam. If you're so moved, search out the petition and sign it.
I signed it. I doubt CBS will care but I'm hoping it shows the show was popular. Perhaps then another network could pick up the show.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I visited frequently as a child, but was raised in Southern California. Back then 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, Portland was a fantastically beautiful place. Very mellow and clean. I used to say there was a church on every street corner (true, almost). The last time I said that was in 1981. Portland like every other city has its pros and cons. I'll be interested to see "how bad" it's become when I visit soon. I'm glad I experienced the Portland of yore. Very nice memories. I had relatives all over town: Council Crest, NE, Oregon City and Happy Rock (Gladstone). Again, it was so beautiful and wonderful.

Of course, I'm sure all of SHMT's live action on streets is filmed in Vancouver, with pre-recorded shots of downtown, panoramas, etc. of Portland. They might drop in to Portland occasionally for live shots, but more likely using some sort of CGI or green screen (whatever -- I'm not a tekkie).

Portland has been cleaning itself up, and slowly getting back on track. Believe me I am thankful for that. Mainly downtown is where I'm referring to. Downtown has lost so much business since 2020. Covid, crime and Political unrest did a job on downtown. The office vacancy is just about the highest in the USA. It will be interesting to see how the Homeless case, that has gone to the Supreme Court will impact Portland. Many of the Homeless camps have been removed by the city. None of the gritty side of Downtown Portland ever made it to Todd. I wonder though if the possible wedding episode filmed in downtown Portland and not Vancouver, will show that gritty side of Portland life.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:33 AM

9,930 posts, read 7,285,759 times
Quote:
I signed it. I doubt CBS will care but I'm hoping it shows the show was popular. Perhaps then another network could pick up the show.
The show is owned and produced by CBS. Another network may not want to pay CBS for the rights.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:10 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,375,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The show is owned and produced by CBS. Another network may not want to pay CBS for the rights.
I doubt any network will be interested. Streaming? Maybe. But I doubt it.

The problem is: CBS caters to a pretty narrow audience. In short: Mostly old people. The people that 20 years ago watched MATLOCK now watch most CBS shows. They are going to complain about Todd's cancellation, but they are not going to go watch it on PARAMOUNT PLUS, which mostly has programming for a much younger audience.

Ten or fifteen years ago, this show might have stood a chance in being picked up by a network like USA or TNT. I don't see that happening today. I suspect this show is gone forever.

Hey, it happens. Good shows don't always make it. I'm still bummed that WONDERFALLS never got another season, and I don't understand why THE EDUCATION OF MAX BICKFORD isn't even available on DVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV