Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 02:10 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
To me subway tile only looks great in pre war apts in places like NYC, Philly, Boston
To me, subway tile only looks good in the subway. Who wants to be reminded of a long, hot, miserable method of getting to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
How about the episode of My Lottery Dream Home where the couple won five million dollars and were looking at $199,000 homes - or 4% of their winnings.

Some dream home.
But that nice $5 million dollar win would have been drastically decreased after all taxes were paid, even with a lump sum payout; so they might have ended up with less than $2 million dollars; in which case they might be wise to pick a home for which they could afford to maintain, do updates, and pay property taxes for years and still have enough to live on, enjoy a nice lifestyle, and have some money left over to leave the kids (or educate them, depending how old the couple was).

Old 02-18-2019, 02:21 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
In Love It or List It, David plays real estate agent with a license in multiple American states and I think parts of Canada. Who over the age of 12 really believes that he is a real estate agent who found the 3 homes for the episode.?

Old 02-18-2019, 02:33 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
In Love It or List It, David plays real estate agent with a license in multiple American states and I think parts of Canada. Who over the age of 12 really believes that he is a real estate agent who found the 3 homes for the episode.?
I must be gullible; I really thought he was a realtor; and either found the homes or worked with another realtor to do so. Love It or List It is my favorite of the HGTV shows. But, sheesh, I'm dying for someone to say that that you should always allow a certain amount of leeway in a renovation budget, at least $10,000, because something will go wrong, something will take too long, old unnoticed problems will appear....

Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,307,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
But that nice $5 million dollar win would have been drastically decreased after all taxes were paid, even with a lump sum payout; so they might have ended up with less than $2 million dollars; in which case they might be wise to pick a home for which they could afford to maintain, do updates, and pay property taxes for years and still have enough to live on, enjoy a nice lifestyle, and have some money left over to leave the kids (or educate them, depending how old the couple was).
True, but then a few weeks later they showed a $1M lottery winner who wanted to see $600K homes, so some winners are willing to spend on a dream home.

It just gets me how the commercials for My Lottery Dream Home seem so much more glamorous than the actual winners request for themselves.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
I must be gullible; I really thought he was a realtor; and either found the homes or worked with another realtor to do so. Love It or List It is my favorite of the HGTV shows. But, sheesh, I'm dying for someone to say that that you should always allow a certain amount of leeway in a renovation budget, at least $10,000, because something will go wrong, something will take too long, old unnoticed problems will appear....
FWIW I hate that show and rarely can watch a complete episode

Old 02-19-2019, 12:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Didn’t read all the posts—but has someone mentioned the people who buy a house and have kids and
1–never ask about the school district
2–never ask about taxes
3–when they go to remodel either small or large apparently never had an engineer check the house for issues like load-bearing walls

I watch episodes of this show based on location—areas I already own a home or have some personal knowledge—so just skip places like Boston or Chicago or North Carolina...

Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,606,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Didn’t read all the posts—but has someone mentioned the people who buy a house and have kids and
1–never ask about the school district
2–never ask about taxes
3–when they go to remodel either small or large apparently never had an engineer check the house for issues like load-bearing walls

I watch episodes of this show based on location—areas I already own a home or have some personal knowledge—so just skip places like Boston or Chicago or North Carolina...
Because a lot of us think that the HGTV programs are really an ad for housewares stores, ACE hardware, etc. And ads for products and items that you put in your home. It's one big infomercial!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,654,773 times
Quote:
In all of the reno shows, it seems that there is some unforseen issue that comes up. But Love It or List It, for example, does a lot of renos in much older homes. Issues like old, erroded pipies, cracked foundations, etc., really should not be unexpected in a home near 100 years old.

In newer homes they more often find issues that aren't up to code - previous owners who updated or moved electrical, etc., but didn't do it to code. Also drainage issues and the like. Yet people always act surprised and sometimes pretty indigent. Even when working with an expert, buyers need to do some research of their own, but so many of these people seem so completely clueless that you wonder how they dress themselves.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:54 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,606,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
In all of the reno shows, it seems that there is some unforseen issue that comes up. But Love It or List It, for example, does a lot of renos in much older homes. Issues like old, erroded pipies, cracked foundations, etc., really should not be unexpected in a home near 100 years old.

In newer homes they more often find issues that aren't up to code - previous owners who updated or moved electrical, etc., but didn't do it to code. Also drainage issues and the like. Yet people always act surprised and sometimes pretty indigent. Even when working with an expert, buyers need to do some research of their own, but so many of these people seem so completely clueless that you wonder how they dress themselves.

There is a new reno show - Windy City Rehab - filmed in Chicago. This lady rehabs houses, and lists the price.. so the house costs $650,000, renovation costs $900,000 and they will sell it for $2 million. Sheesh. the houses were two-story apartments turned into one huge 1 family home with 5 bedrooms - sheesh! But its very beautiful what she does. I don't understand them buying a $650,000 home, tearing all of it down except maybe one outside wall and the reno costs about twice as much more than the home. Why do they do that? And who is gonna buy a $2 million dollar huge home? (in Chicago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV