Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 01:32 PM

6,440 posts, read 4,935,011 times

Advertisements

I love the Reacher books and Ritchson at least looks the part. Reacher was 6 foot 5 and 250 and his size and physical characteristics are a crucial part of the character. Ritchson is 6 foot 2 and 205 and looks pretty massive. Can't wait for the new show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 09:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I guess that would work for me! He's no Ray, but he'll do!
If there had been no “Rome” and Pullo—would you have felt that way about Ray Stevenson
So much of his work was done in England before America knew anything about him and he was fairly old when he was cast in Rome—which brought him so much attention...
Don’t get me wrong—he would have been a great Reacher—-
But so much of building an acting career is about timing and actors often have no control over that
It’s producers and directors with clout who call most of the shots

Old 01-23-2021, 04:28 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,687,921 times
I just saw a YouTube Zoom session with Lee Child and his brother Andrew (who is now writing the Reacher series) from September when Alan Ritchson was announced as Reacher in the upcoming Amazon TV series. Pretty interesting interview/conversation! I'm more inclined to want to read The Sentinel I now. Andrew sounds as if he understands the Reacher character. Anyway, about 45 minutes into the chat they talk about the shift from Cruise to Ritchson, and Lee Child admits that he made a big mistake, agreeing to let Cruise represent Reacher! He talks about how he initially thought they would just be creating a new fictional universe with a new type of Reacher (and he probably also liked the money aspect, but he didn't say that), but then he realized that the readers of the books weren't going to accept a different kind of Reacher (which we didn't), so in deference to his readers he decided to go along with an actor that fit the profile.

I guess one should always take such rationalizations with a grain of salt, but it is interesting that Child wasn't just saying that it would be refreshing with a more book-like Reacher--he directly said he made a mistake.

Here's the YouTube talk from last September. I tried to embed it, but it didn't work!

https://youtu.be/z0orNJFfllc

PS Ritchson could pass for a young version of...Ray!

Old 01-23-2021, 04:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I just saw a YouTube Zoom session with Lee Child and his brother Andrew (who is now writing the Reacher series) from September when Alan Ritchson was accounced as Reacher in the upcoming Amazon TV series. Pretty interesting interview/conversation! I'm more inclined to want to read The Sentinel I now. Andrew sounds as if he understands the Reacher character. Anyway, about 45 minutes into the chat they talk about the shift from Cruise to Ritchson, and Lee Child admits that he made a big mistake, agreeing to let Cruise represent Reacher! He talks about how he initially thought they would just be creating a new fictional universe with a new type of Reacher (and he probably also liked the money aspect, but he didn't say that), but then he realized that the readers of the books weren't going to accept a different kind of Reacher (which we didn't), so in deference to his readers he decided to go along with an actor that fit the profile.

I guess one should always take such rationalizations with a grain of salt, but it is interesting that Child wasn't just saying that it would be refreshing with a more book-like Reacher--he directly said he made a mistake.

https://youtu.be/z0orNJFfllc
But he said it when there was not another Reacher movie in Cruise’s pipeline
He isn’t that stupid

Old 01-23-2021, 04:51 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,242,017 times
Thanks, interesting update.

I happen to be reading Blue Moon right now!

Old 12-02-2021, 12:35 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Definitely looks more light-hearted than the books. That might not be a bad thing. ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSycMV-_Csw

Old 12-02-2021, 08:02 PM

610 posts, read 531,369 times
I’ve read all the books so I’m looking forward to giving this a try. Do we know an air date and platform?

By the way, I just finished the latest book and in my opinion the quality has dropped way off since the brother took over the writing.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:55 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
I’ve read all the books so I’m looking forward to giving this a try. Do we know an air date and platform?
Coming soon to Prime.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,978,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Definitely looks more light-hearted than the books. That might not be a bad thing. ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSycMV-_Csw
Cant wait for this. A relatively tall actor playing reacher is best we can hope for. Alan Ritchson is around 6'2". Reacher in the books is 6'4" ish to 6'5".

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Alan-Ritchson-4212.html

Old 12-03-2021, 01:58 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times
Thank goodness it appears to be much better than the Tom Cruise travesties. DH said that despite being a few inches shorter than the character Alan Ritchson definitely embodies Jack Reacher.

I also like that they are starting with the first book, unlike they did with the first movie - it gave very little back story so it really didn't make sense as a stand alone movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV