Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:42 PM

83,588 posts, read 75,571,450 times

Advertisements

Anyone else watch this show in he 1990s?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/954050766192480256

Quote:
Nearly 20 years after it wrapped its six-season run, Party of Five is returning to TV.

Disney-owned cable network Freeform has handed out a sizable put-pilot order for a reboot of the Fox drama from original series creators Chris Keyser and Amy Lippman. The news, poised to be announced Thursday afternoon at the first-ever Freeform Summit event in L.A., comes two months after THR exclusively reported that original producers Sony Pictures Television Studios were readying the reboot with an immigration twist.

Freeform additionally is plotting its first period drama, putting Cleopatra in development. The project, originally developed for NBC in 2012, has already opened a writers room, plotting out multiple scripts with an eye toward going to series.

The original Party of Five ran for six seasons and focused on five siblings — Bailey (Scott Wolf), Charlie (Matthew Fox), Julia (Neve Campbell), Claudia (Lacey Chabert) and their baby brother, Owen — who unite as a family after their parents are killed in a car crash. The reboot follows the five Buendias children as they navigate daily struggles to survive as a family unit after their parents are suddenly deported back to Mexico. Keyser and Lippman will write the pilot alongside Michal Zebede (Castle), with Rodrigo Garcia (The Affair) set to direct. Keyser, Kippman and Garcia will also exec produce; Zebede will co-exec produce and write
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,877,747 times
This doesn't seem like a series that needs to be rebooted. The original was really good and streaming on Netflix. If they are going to reboot something they should take a show that wasn't very good and make it better.

I hope it's not a success or else they will start rebooting all my favorite teen shows from the 90s. I don't want a reboot of Felicity, Dawson's Creek, or Buffy (I know it was a movie first).

Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,782,251 times
Loved that show when it was on. I binged watched it a few months ago and wondered why I loved it so much. It was so depressing! It does not need a reboot IMO

Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,661,409 times
How do they call it a reboot with a different cast?

Quote:
The reboot would be about a first-generation Latino family who have immigrated to the U.S. and are living through the highs and lows as they learn to make it in a new country. (The fate of the family's parents is being kept under wraps.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Anyone else watch this show in he 1990s?
Well, sort of.

That is that I religiously taped it for years but the thing is, I hardly ever got around to watching it. Oh, here and there with the failed wedding and then taking Claudia on the "honeymoon" or when Bailey thought he got away with the DWI until the police finally got around to processing the warrant or when Sarah found out she was adopted and went on a spending spree which cause the credit card alert or when Claudia had the stuffed bra or when she became mascot or Julia returned from Europe and was in the airport with her back pack and twin water bottles.

But essentially, I never got around to seeing it. I might have a complete series if I hadn't taped over spots here and there because tape space became critical.

Can they remake the show in the current era? For right or wrong reasons, I think we were feeling pretty comfortable during the Clinton administration and pre 9/11; can they make an equally good show in the environment we have now?

Politics is not the only angle. Remember, this was a drama show, in the 90s, a few years before reality TV took over. Add to it that we have had the impact of seeing a feel good family show, 7th Heaven, destroyed in the minds of viewers by the sexual assault, granted that one was the tip of the iceberg, waves.

Can we view such shows in the same light?

A and B. A: If they do redo it, I fear it won't be such a family show but edging more along the shock value of this or that. B: The original had a very good run on FOX the first time; if it is on FOX this time, then does it need to be for it to be at the top of its game for that is the only reason a show survives on FOX.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,743,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That is the definition of a reboot. A distinctly different retelling of the same story/concept.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,233,032 times
So Hollywood has no new ideas of their own. What's going to be next??

Old 01-23-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
So Hollywood has no new ideas of their own. What's going to be next??
That opinion is so tired. Look up and down your tv dial and you will see TONS of new ideas. Retelling something that worked isnt a bad thing and is only a part of the television landscape.

So many hits are/were a reboot of things over the past several years. "Scarface", "Three's Company", "Happy Days", "Exorcist", "Lethal Weapon" (a hit btw).

There are also tons of new ideas out there. "The Resident", "LA to Vegas", Scorpion", "Alientist". I could go on all day.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,914,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That is the definition of a reboot. A distinctly different retelling of the same story/concept.
The new Will and Grace is a reboot to me. The new Party of Five isn't. And it's disappointing. I was wondering around which Salinger's death the remaining Salingers (plus one) would be gathering in the reboot. But I didn't need to wonder. They're presenting a show that has apparently nothing to do with the Salingers. I'm with Roselvr.

Quote:
Also in the works this season are reboots of True Lies (Fox), The Jetsons (ABC), The Munsters (NBC) and Starsky and Hutch (Amazon)
I hope they don't do The Jetsons without the Jetsons, The Munsters without the Munsters, or Starsky and Hutch without Starsky and Hutch.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The new Will and Grace is a reboot to me. The new Party of Five isn't. And it's disappointing. I was wondering around which Salinger's death the remaining Salingers (plus one) would be gathering in the reboot. But I didn't need to wonder. They're presenting a show that has apparently nothing to do with the Salingers. I'm with Roselvr.

I hope they don't do The Jetsons without the Jetsons, The Munsters without the Munsters, or Starsky and Hutch without Starsky and Hutch.

You can certainly disagree but per the below, this fits the definition perfectly

noun
an act or instance of restarting a computer.
an act or instance of making a change in order to establish a new beginning:
a reboot of our product line.
a distinctly new version of an established media franchise:

The show will be a gritty reboot of the classic TV series from the 1970s.

verb (used with object)
to restart (a computer) by loading the operating system; boot again.
to produce a distinctly new version of (an established media franchise, as a film, TV show, video game, or comic book):

The studio is rebooting Spider-Man.
to make a change in (something) in order to establish a new beginning: She’s rebooting her career.
Lower interest rates are intended to reboot the economy

Reboot | Define Reboot at Dictionary.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV