Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,211,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I wish they had a setting that would eliminate all paid options from displaying. I don't even use the on demand for the reason the OP states. It is not worth the time to find stuff.
Other than that, the only issue I have with Fios is the lack of HD content for Turner Classic Movies. These are some great classic movies that I am forced to watch in SD. Makes me feel like I am arching on the "classic" CRT TV.
Yes yes yes - that's my point. The old menu I just swooped right to where it said Free - went to TV and then networks & each network listed whatever shows they were offering at the time for free.
This new menu is just crap.
I wish they'd get sued because I'm kinda old but I can imagine really old people or people who just aren't paying attention clicking and watching all sorts of things and getting a $1000 bill because they thought it was free. There is just no way of knowing which are free and which aren't in this jumbled mess of advertisements.
So I'm with you - I'm not even using it anymore - and without it - might as well shift to cable as soon as my contract is up. Can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,241,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post

Used to be able to search through networks

HATE VERIZON & can't get rid of this contract fast enough

:mad
I used to have FIOS up in Massachusetts, it was VERIZON. Here in Florida, VERIZON FIOS was bought out by FRONTIER. FRONTIER absolutely sux. IDK if FIOS is under FRONTIER in other states but it may not be VERIZON'S fault your On Demand has changed.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,400 times
Default Dissatisfied with the new On Demand menu, loyal Verizon customer since 2005

I can NOT stand this new Verizon Fios menu that I am now stuck with! Only the TV in the living room can display the older (better) version of the on demand menu. I understand people tend to hate change and thus like to keep to their old ways but I completely agree with the guy who said this new menu is trash/doesn't display things properly. It has nothing to do with learning to navigate it because it's either not there or you have to scroll through a ton of BS to get to it. They probably spent millions on developing this crap too that's the irony of it all. Something tells me this new version utilizes less data on their servers/system and frees up valuable space/cost on their end because there is absolutely nothing worthwhile with this new menu. In fact, I feel like I have been downgraded a notch because there's absolutely nothing better about this menu. The only logical thing that comes to mind is 1.-they wanted to free the load on their system a bit or 2.-make people feel tempted to upgrade to a DVR in their other rooms. Who knows, maybe it's both of those things. Regardless, the new navigational menu feels like a dysfunctional Netflix/Xbox 360 menu. Pisses me off just as much as Microsoft's "Windows 8" which was pure trash and everyone hated it.

Long story short, this isn't one of those updates that add functionality once you become accustomed to it by learning how to use it, but a "update" disguised to help them take a load off their equipment because I'm almost positive this version frees equipment needs on their end for memory/processors

Last edited by BryanKing16; 02-10-2017 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Misspelled word in the first sentence

Old 02-13-2017, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,372 times
Default I hate the new fios on demand menu

I used to be able to find my favorite shows in seconds, now it took me 20 minutes to find a TV show, I searched by Letters, and it only showed the A's, it was supposed to show A through C, but only the shows beginning with A showed up.
So I decided to search by Network, I found it, then I had to watch at least 8 commercials before the show even started!
the new on demand menu arrow only goes east to west, instead of up/down. Using up/down, I was able to scroll quicker through all of the titles, now it takes much longer to find something.

Why did you change it? It was great before. Now, it is time consuming, frustrating and more confusing than it needs to be.

Please change it back. It made sense. User friendly. Time Saver.

Now it is just frustrating!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:23 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,211,649 times
I miss seeing quite a few shows because I don't even know where to find them and I can't be bothered spending a half hour looking. If you don't even remember the network its on - forget it. I used to also scroll the free TV network by network and would stop and watch a show I'd never seen to see if I'd like it. Now I can't do that because half the time they aren't free - and I'm always so close to clicking the thing that says buy now that I don't even bother taking the tour. I'm sure they trick a lot of people though into hitting that buy now button when we're just looking for the free stuff. Maybe they don't want people using the on demand and they did this instead of taking it away or charging extra. Don't know, don't care. Also, why does it want to keep giving me lessons everytime I click on Demand? It goes to kids or something - I have to exit then I can scroll the top menu. Oy vvey. Idiots in management. So the bottom line is - I lost interest in a lot of the shows because I can't find them.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,748,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
THat has nothing to do with FIOS, though. TCM is not an HD channel. Old movies are inherently not HD, and for TCM it's not a priority to remaster its entire back catalog, especially since remastering isn't a guarantee of better picture quality.
Old movies on 35mm - 70mm film are the same as HD. How do you think HDNet shows movies from that era in HD?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 PM

4,744 posts, read 4,447,050 times
YES---I don't do the on demand often, but I have used it and appreciated it.
Recently I tried to do so and I just gave up. I am not a stupid person but after spendng more than 5 minutes trying to get what I wanted ( also free) I gave up. Too much work

Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 995,478 times
Come on.
This is not brain surgery.

Click the menu button at the top of the remote and scroll to where it says Free premium TV and Movies or better yet .. click that little blue button at the bottom (of remote) which will bring up the search function and type in the name of the movie, or TV show you are looking for!

I do agree however that the new look SUCKS compared to the way it use to be.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,103,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Come on.
This is not brain surgery.

Click the menu button at the top of the remote and scroll to where it says Free premium TV and Movies or better yet .. click that little blue button at the bottom (of remote) which will bring up the search function and type in the name of the movie, or TV show you are looking for!

I do agree however that the new look SUCKS compared to the way it use to be.
I just tried that and found no selection for "Free Premium TV and Movies". What version box do you have? The search function does not always bring up free content. If there is any you have to dig for it. I am seriously considering going back to Directv, if and when our current contract(if there is one) expires.

I may have to wait until our VZW cell phone contract expires, so we can ditch the landline and TV and go with internet only with Verizon. VZW signal is poor here, so we can't give up the landline for now. I will have to check out other carriers to see if they have better service, and switch to them first.

Overall, my experience with everything Verizon is disappointing me.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,103,757 times
One other difference between what I remember from Directv and what I have now with FIOS, is that a with TV series on DTV, if it is available at all, I can get all the seasons. It seems like, with whatever is available on FIOS it might only be last season. If you are a latecomer to a series, like The Walking Dead, you can't start from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV