Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I know. It always comes down to money in the end.
Well, money in relation to ratings. If it had been a big hit with the audiences, it would have commanded ad revenues which justified the high cost of making the episodes.

And the reason it didn't command higher ratings was that it wasn't a very good show. It was Supergirl vs alien of the week, surrounded by Jr. High level office soap opera and romance. None of the supporting characters are especially memorable because none rise above the cliche level. None rise above the cliche level because the writing staff isn't too terribly talented. With some catastrophic emergency hanging over their heads, the writers invariably had the characters waste all kinds of time talking about their emotional lives before finally getting into action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 03:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
I think if it moves to CW, Flockhart must be one of the casualties of the move. Maybe they'll make her recurring, but I cannot imagine that she needs a job so much that the smaller salary she could command from a CW series would make it worth her time to turn down other projects.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times
CBS is a network whose vision is geared solely toward the middle aged and seniors. SUPERGIRL is a show crafted for a young audience. That is the root of the problem. No one under the age of 50 regularly watches that network.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:41 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think if it moves to CW, Flockhart must be one of the casualties of the move. Maybe they'll make her recurring, but I cannot imagine that she needs a job so much that the smaller salary she could command from a CW series would make it worth her time to turn down other projects.
Well, imo Mrs. Harrison Ford doesn't need the job and not hurting for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
CBS is a network whose vision is geared solely toward the middle aged and seniors. SUPERGIRL is a show crafted for a young audience. That is the root of the problem. No one under the age of 50 regularly watches that network.
Hmm... I guess I am young at heart? I enjoy Supergirl. I also enjoy The 100 which is geared toward younger audiences.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:53 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,964,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Well, imo Mrs. Harrison Ford doesn't need the job and not hurting for money.

Hmm... I guess I am young at heart? I enjoy Supergirl. I also enjoy The 100 which is geared toward younger audiences.
Yes, I'm pushing 50 and I enjoyed Supergirl, and I also enjoy the CW hero shows - Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow. Probably at least partly because I grew up loving comic books, but really didn't have much on TV in the 70s and 80s. Comic book shows were semi-cheesy shows like Wonder Woman, the Lou Ferrigno Hulk show and the Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man where the super hero usually fought more mundane foes because TV back then didn't have the means or the budget to do the great FX needed for super villains. (WW fought Nazis and tanks, Hulk fought soldiers trying to capture/kill him, etc)

Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
That simply isnt true anymore. It was a network that skewed older in the past but they have been changing image for some time.

Current and recent comedies

"How I Met You Mother"
"2 1/2 Men"
"Big Bang Theory"
"Mom"
"Life in Pieces"

The above all have decent (by comparison) 18-49 ratings

Current recent Dramas

"Scorpion"
"Limitless"
all 3 "NCIS"*
All 95 "CSI" (except Cyber)
"Criminal Minds"

*NCIS has large total viewers but it still rates well in the under 50 crowd.

The above all have decent (by comparison) 18-49 ratings

Add "Survivor" and "Big Brother" to the mix as well

The only shows they current have that truly skew older are "Blue Bloods" and "Hawaii 5-0" as they have an 18-49 ratings that compares but their total viewership is much higher,

Old 05-06-2016, 05:50 PM

991 posts, read 629,602 times
I am 65 and love super hero shows!

Supergirl was ruined by making her .. less than super on every d@mn episode!
Leave Mrs Ford alone!
She is eye candy!

Old 05-07-2016, 01:29 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think if it moves to CW, Flockhart must be one of the casualties of the move.
I hope not. I hated her character at first. She was all stereotype. But the writers finally brought her to life. She's now the most consistently entertaining part of the show.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:24 PM

991 posts, read 629,602 times
Quote:
I hope not. I hated her character at first. She was all stereotype. But the writers finally brought her to life. She's now the most consistently entertaining part of the show.
100% in agreement!

Old 05-12-2016, 03:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
OFFICIALLY RENEWED and...

OFFICIALLY moving to the CW

This part is just a rumor but apparently Calista Flockhart has a new deal with Warner Bros and will be making the move to Vancouver with the show. Nothing official though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV