Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times

Advertisements

On the whole, too much of one thing and not enough of the other. I was disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,997 times
Mr. Bill . . . "Oh . . . Noooooooooo" !!!

Love you Mr. Bill

Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The event last night seemed oddly organized.

I like SNL and always have, but a few thoughts about last night's special:

6. SNL's long history of lampooning politics, especially Presidents, deserved it's own bit. Ditto with SNL's fake commercials. Happy Fun Ball! (Do not Taunt Happy Fun Ball)
Schmitt's Gay. One of the funniest commercials ever.. But, that being said.. If they were only doing one commercial, i'm glad it was one that featured Phil Hartman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The bit about cast members cracking up during a skit missed one really hilarious example: the "Right to Extreme Stupidity League" with Gilda Radner and Candice Bergen.

Although he didn't save the show single-handedly, Murphy's popularity did bring the show back into the public's eye. The show was threatened with cancellation and had finished a lousy year or two when Murphy came on the cast with Joe Piscopo.
Oh.. Another one, which is my favorite sketch ever.. A one-off called "Massive Headwound Harry".. Classic Hartman and Foley reactions in it, and things going wrong.. Where the dog tries to pull the wig off Dana Carvey..

Yeah.. I don't get the people who complain about saying Eddie Murphy saved the show.. He really did.. The 1980 cast was (almost) all fired. You had the 1985 cast that were (almost) all one-year players.. It was the darkest of times, and Eddie really was the shining light.

I'm not saying Eddie was the only talented one on the show during that time.. But.. He was the one people tuned in to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RektorFry985 View Post
My favorite cast was from around 1987 to 1992 with people like Carvey, Farley, Sandler, Myers, Spade, Miller, and Hartman. Farley and Carvey were so damn funny they could make me cry with some of their sketches. I nearly popped a vessel in my brain when I saw "Matt Foley" when it first aired.

Of course, I'd have to acknowledge the original cast was probably the most talented --- at least by judging from their movie catalog.
Those were the two golden periods.. 1975-1979 and 1986-1993 or so

Another note.. Did anyone catch that they used Phil Hartman's original intro to Wayne's World? the "Aurora public access..." intro over the title card..

Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 PM

24,429 posts, read 23,092,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Wil Farrell doing ALex Trebek on Jeopardy had me rolling..
>>> I loved that bit, hated some of it. You had Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds who were hysterical as always. Then they had some other guests that just took up space. Jim Carrey was terrible in his bit, its really hard to remember him as being funny once. You forget many of the SNL regulars who never made an impression, but others will always be remembered.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>> I loved that bit, hated some of it. You had Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds who were hysterical as always. Then they had some other guests that just took up space. Jim Carrey was terrible in his bit, its really hard to remember him as being funny once. You forget many of the SNL regulars who never made an impression, but others will always be remembered.
Justin Beiber is a reoccurring recent celebrity spoof. I am not sure what woman does him but she does Beiber well. It was just weird how she became someone else in the middle of the sketch.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,997 times
I recently watched the very first SNL October 11, 1975 - Janis Ian was on and sang "Seventeen" beautiful song. She wrote this and sings this beautifully playing the guitar.

Would have been lovely if she was on this 40th Anniversary show.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 PM

21,484 posts, read 10,593,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Having Miley there was horrible. How'd her agent book her that gig? I can't imagine her or Taylor Swift really fitting in with the likes of Steve Martin, Bill Murray, Jane Curtain, Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, etc.
I remember when she hosted and she did a pretty good job. Maybe that's why?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 PM

21,484 posts, read 10,593,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
THERE WAS NO JANET RENO !

For those that enjoyed the political sketches and thought they were a bit thin in this show, they did a tribute on Meet The Press Sunday. Lots of Dana Carvey, and they had the one with him as Ross Perot driving the car with Admiral Stockdale.

Wish they would have showed more fake commercials, like the 1986 era Gaddafi Clothing line, The Gaddafi Look "Whether expanding your territorial waters or cutting off a tourist's hand, wear clothes designed my Col Muammar Gaddafi". They showed a split second clip of the Kluckin' Chicken restaurant commercial, he gets chopped up as I remember. Will probably never get to see the Zenith System 12 TV set commercial, 12 sets of everything because at Zenith, the parts go in before the name goes on. John Belushi's little chocolate donuts breakfast cereal. Steve Martin's stayfree peeny pads for men to catch those embarrassing little drips at the end so you dont get a spot on your pants after you finish. The baby Jesus doll X-mas tree decoration that lets out a long drone squeal every 5 minutes to remind you of your faith, the playdough factory kit that runs on cat poop.
Did you ever see Will Ferrell's commercial about Wade Blasingame, the lawyer who had annoying neighborhood dogs put down? That would have been funny. I also loved the one with the device people could put on their butts to make farts sound like cell phone ringtones. There really are too many to count, but those two I remembered for years.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Did you ever see Will Ferrell's commercial about Wade Blasingame, the lawyer who had annoying neighborhood dogs put down? That would have been funny. I also loved the one with the device people could put on their butts to make farts sound like cell phone ringtones. There really are too many to count, but those two I remembered for years.
Lol, I just looked up Wade Blasingame, every city ought to have a guy like that you can call. Will Ferrell really was underrated, I think those stupid cheerleader skits kept me from appreciating him. He did GW Bush with more strategery than anyone else could. I never respected him fully until I saw the movie Talladega Nights. If you have never seen this movie thinking it would be lame, watch it, you will laugh.

They should have shown some Coneheads, a Conehead movie was made several years back, they deserve some recognition. They should have shown a brief clip of Czechoslovakian Brothers, perhaps the part where Garrett Morris convinces them for a brief moment that the foxes are not coming, and they change body language from fast paced wiggles to slower paced wiggles of a depressed nature, and show the vacuum cleaner they smuggled out of czechoslovakia, the one that had the radiation fallout symbol on it and was the size of a 50 gallon oil barrel.....and had no suction.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,722,728 times
No doubt they omitted a lot of funny bits. They showed the Coneheads for a split second, same with Cheeburger, Cheeburger. They also omitted how they would put captions over people sitting in the audience. I believe that Letterman copied that from SNL. The piece de resistance of the original Bass O Matic sketch was when at the end, DA dramk the concotion. But he didn't do that this time. Another big catch phrase omitted: Could it be Satan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV