Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Star Trek Series do you like the best?
Star Trek:TOS 30 26.55%
Star Trek: TNG 46 40.71%
Star Trek: DS9 16 14.16%
Voyager 7 6.19%
Star Trek: Enterprise 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,524,711 times

Advertisements

Yeah, enterprise was not that great. But I think that the Xindi Story arc was ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times
I've liked all of them--eventually in the case of some.

I was an original Trek fan as a kid in the 60s--and in my little Oklahoma town, I was the only Trek fan I knew, all alone. If there were any fans anywhere else, there was no way for me to know they existed. So some of those episodes are my favorites just because they were first.

I'd actually consider the first season of Enterprise some of my favorite episodes. As a kid of the Space Race 60s, the opening theme always brought a tear to my eye; I guess you had to be there.

I liked DS9 quite a bit, and some of those episodes rank on my favorite list as well.

It took me a long while to cozy up to TNG. In fact, I boycotted the first three seasons. Frankly, I'm not a fan of Roddenberry's vision, which was brought to fuller fruition in the first seasons of TNG than in any other series (including TOS).

An enjoyable moment for me was in DS9 when Nog explains how the Ferengi laws of acquisition work to sustain a greater social framework...and it was a lot more rational than Roddenberry's Federation smooshy woo-woo everybody-is-a-star-and-all-needs-are-met" un-explained society.

It took me a while to cozy up to Voyager as well, especially with the way Janeway so easily and so frequently kicked Borg butt.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,312,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I liked Enterprise well enough, but the continuity errors annoyed lots of people. I think Scott Bakula did a good job as Archer.

I'm not fond of the new movies that blew the whole continuity away.
Actually I like the new movies. Its intended to be an anternate time line. The destruction of Vulcan would have changed everything. The Federation would have started out with a harder edge.

The thing I love is Kirk at the beginning. The way the first movie starts, racing down a street in a souped up car past hay bales, to get his application to starfleet in, that is exactly Kirk. And when you consider they were not so far out from the world atomic war, those haybales and souped up cars and farm boys who act like it fit quite well.

And with Vulcan gone, Spock on of the few survivers of his species, he comes in with a differnt point of view and wouldn't have that need to prove how 'vulcan' he was.

And Please pretty please bring back Kahn, er more Benedict Cumberbach.......yum

Old 08-16-2014, 02:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,312,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've liked all of them--eventually in the case of some.

I was an original Trek fan as a kid in the 60s--and in my little Oklahoma town, I was the only Trek fan I knew, all alone. If there were any fans anywhere else, there was no way for me to know they existed. So some of those episodes are my favorites just because they were first.

I'd actually consider the first season of Enterprise some of my favorite episodes. As a kid of the Space Race 60s, the opening theme always brought a tear to my eye; I guess you had to be there.

I liked DS9 quite a bit, and some of those episodes rank on my favorite list as well.

It took me a long while to cozy up to TNG. In fact, I boycotted the first three seasons. Frankly, I'm not a fan of Roddenberry's vision, which was brought to fuller fruition in the first seasons of TNG than in any other series (including TOS).

An enjoyable moment for me was in DS9 when Nog explains how the Ferengi laws of acquisition work to sustain a greater social framework...and it was a lot more rational than Roddenberry's Federation smooshy woo-woo everybody-is-a-star-and-all-needs-are-met" un-explained society.

It took me a while to cozy up to Voyager as well, especially with the way Janeway so easily and so frequently kicked Borg butt.
Its pretty well known that the first season of tng was a long argument between Roddenberry and the producers. It didn't work out well. He retired from the production and they went on to reshape it so the second season was a little disorganized. But there are major standouts. The one about the planet in civil war, where they ruling power is imprisoning and torturing children and in the end its a tit for tat war strikes a VERY close cord to parts of ours. It was about terrorism and its effect long before we got so familiar with the subject. For that little prase about how the Irish forced independence from the English that one wasn't and hasn't ever been shown in England (was in Ireland). Some people are still rather touchy.

What I loved with DS9 is it wasn't about the way the Federation does things. Sisko discovered early on that it didn't work so well there. So if Nog could help out on a deal, or he could enlist Quark for a favor and everyone just overlook it happened fine, it came out how they wanted.

I was so lucky. When tos first came on a group of my friends were also rabid fans. We did our own episodes on audio tape. Good thing they all died.... but we had our own little mini fandom. I found science fiction fandom through trek fandom and did go to the second ever star trek convention Equicon 1. I think it was 69. But the organizers figured on 600. Then they ran an ad during the nightly star trek rerun and could have sold 6000 tickets. Mr. Firemartial had different ideas.

I think its interesting how in the post war movies like Insurrection, you can see how much different the shining idealism of the Federation has become. There are some good post war books too. One I really liked, since it actually showed the degree of loss began after the Dominon war after another Borg invasion is this

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Losing the Peace: William Leisner: 9781439107867: Amazon.com: Books

Imagine Federation citizens living in a refugee camp, running out of food and water, and the locals planning to build a tall fence around them. It's very well written and deals with a lot of the cumulative loss which starts with the near loss to the Dominion.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:19 PM

11,663 posts, read 12,767,259 times
What I loved was Roddenberry's optimism, possibly utopian earth. For those of us who have been traumatized through real life genocide and racism, it gave a glimmer of hope that people could resolve conflict and really adopt IDIC. Remember, Roddenberry saw first-hand the destruction of WWII. It's wonderful to be able to hang onto that feeling of hope to keep you going. It also was the inspiration for many who decided to study physics, engineering, aerospace to make some of the fiction a reality.

Last edited by Coney; 08-16-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 04:23 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,112,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
So, out of all the Star Trek Franchise which two would you say is your favorite?
Well, certainly TOS, and after that, it is either DS 9 or Voyager. The thing about Voyager is that it is a lot like TOS and unlike TNG and DS 9, it doesn't get stuck in a rut.

I love DS 9 over Babylon V any day because it doesn't have to be watched in order, just about each episode stands by themselves. The problem with DS 9, though, is that very soon it becomes all about fighting the Dominion, that's the constant threat....and that gets tedious over time.

TNG's rut was its self rightousness. To me, the 2nd season was the best because for the most part, those were stand alone episodes that didn't take much of anything else to run and weren't running into the problem in later episodes where Picard was making decisions that ought to have him relieved.

One good thing about TOS? It was 50 minutes long, time enough to do a great story, not leave one with a rushed feeling about things.

As far as Enterprise goes.......saw the teaser, saw the traditional Klingons when in that time, there should have been only fusion Klingons, and never watched another minute of it. Besides, I thought Scott B. was badly cast for the lead part, his voice is too squeeky.

Favorite TOS episode? Alternates between "Dagger of the Mind" and "A Private Little War". Of the Voyager episodes I've seen? "Muse". DS9? "Field of Fire". TNG? "Contagion".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-16-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 PM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times
I'm liking the new movies, and I liked a "rational reboot." Not just a new producer throwing out the old, but actually introducing a reason why things are different. So to some extent, between the ravages of Nero and Khan, the whole Federation is going to be more "Kirk-friendly" than it would have been.

They acknowledged that the reboot does not erase the ST:Enterprise history, though, and I hope some of that comes through. They need a Mirror Universe movie.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM

950 posts, read 697,627 times
After all these years--decades!!--I still prefer the Original series. The first time I saw Spock, I thought he had no emotions. That mistaken thought was further reinforced when I saw the episode "Mudd's Women" in the elevator scene with Spock and those Women whose use of the Venus-drug made them Irresistible to men. In that scene, Harry Mudd says to those Women,"Don't waste your time on Spock--he's a Vulcan."

So at first I had that mistaken thought until subsequent episodes showed his dichotomous self--his half-human and half-Vulcan selves. As Spock himself said "I am half-human and half-Vulcan, and those two selves are constantly at war with each other." So his Vulcan side would have to constantly suppress his human side.

Those precious moments were when his human-side would peek through. The only thing that would irritate me is when Kirk and McCoy would try to make Spock accept his human side. They did not realize that Spock had to suppress himself because that was his way of coping with the anguish he suffered from the persecution he experienced in his childhood on Vulcan. That was the flaw in their relationship.

The reason that my forum-nickname is Monastic555 is because I sometimes imagine myself residing in a Vulcan-monastery at which I receive training in Vulcan Emotion-control. The closest thing to it in reality is Buddhism, which is why I practice Buddhism.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 PM

735 posts, read 1,175,305 times
Which series is my favorite- probably TNG (continuing the legacy) followed by DS9 (that show was dark!) and the TOS (griping).

Voyager had a great concept (a NEW star fleet captain get stranded in deep space on her first assignment- way to go!!!) but they screwed it up on execution and inconsistent writing.

A better concept:
Chakotay and his maquis crew should have had their own federation star ship (stolen of course) and Janeway and her crew with Voyager. After realizing they were stranded in deep space, with limited staffing, both crews would have to pool resources and work together for mutual survival. Two ships, two crews that would have been one hell of a series and a dynamic one at that.

I can't comment on Enterprise because I have only started watching it recently- since there aren't any new Star Trek Series on tv and I want one badly.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,112,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
After all these years--decades!!--I still prefer the Original series. The first time I saw Spock, I thought he had no emotions. That mistaken thought was further reinforced when I saw the episode "Mudd's Women" in the elevator scene with Spock and those Women whose use of the Venus-drug made them Irresistible to men. In that scene, Harry Mudd says to those Women,"Don't waste your time on Spock--he's a Vulcan.".........
Well, actually, it was more like this.

"You're part Vulcan, Aren't ya? So a pretty face has no effect on you.....not if you don't want it to..........save it, my darlings, his kind can turn off their emotions at will."

I know that because it's a source of one of my TOS fantasies...........in that, there was another officer in that elevator.

"And you, Kregian. Very disciplined, very pro-ud. Save it, my darlings, these kind can turn off their emotions at will."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV