Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM

253 posts, read 1,740,959 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I am white, 33f, and gave up watching television about 10 years ago.

Yesterday I was at a bar and I happened to glance at one of their televisions, seeing the introduction to the show "All My Children". The intro flashed through face shots of every character on the show - about 15 or so - and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that every single person on that show is lily white. Not even one token minority race is represented to try to add a shred of reality to this program. Now, I realize soap operas are stupid - I used to watch them 20 years ago when I was 13 and the plot lines are absurdly unrealistic. But now, 20 years later, I'm really really surprised to see such a false representation of people in this country on the television every day.

Does anyone watch these shows? Don't the deceit and fakeness bother you? And what a lame message to portray to the rest of the world if they tap into these shows - that everyone in the US is beautiful, white, and rich. It must be true if it's on the television!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
It's not just limited to soap operas. Check out prime time programming.

TV has certainly gotten A LOT better about diversity. Check out LOST. Your main cast is two WASPy Americans (one of which is a felon), a Southern redneck, an Iraqi, a Hispanic geek, two Aussies, a Scotsman, two Koreans, a Hispanic former cop, an African, and a middle-aged white guy. Or HEROES. Two main characters are Japanese and speak Japanese almost exclusively. And then there's the Indian scientist, the interracial couple, etc., etc.

But you'll notice that most of these folks are still gorgeous. Many of them (or have been) professional models. I don't mind some of that. But it really gets absurd with some shows. I watched about 10 minutes of USA's new show Burn Notice the other night. Every single person on screen looked sculpted. It was just silly.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 PM

146 posts, read 638,757 times
Default Fedora wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Let me start by saying that I am white, 33f, and gave up watching television about 10 years ago.

Yesterday I was at a bar and I happened to glance at one of their televisions, seeing the introduction to the show "All My Children". The intro flashed through face shots of every character on the show - about 15 or so - and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that every single person on that show is lily white. Not even one token minority race is represented to try to add a shred of reality to this program. Now, I realize soap operas are stupid - I used to watch them 20 years ago when I was 13 and the plot lines are absurdly unrealistic. But now, 20 years later, I'm really really surprised to see such a false representation of people in this country on the television every day.

Does anyone watch these shows? Don't the deceit and fakeness bother you? And what a lame message to portray to the rest of the world if they tap into these shows - that everyone in the US is beautiful, white, and rich. It must be true if it's on the television!
Please stop trying to destroy one of our last memories of the 50's.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:53 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,748 times
I don't know why people take tv so seriously, its scary.

I was in a waiting room the other day with "Montel" on...typical daytime fare, murder, mayhem, someone was gruesomely killed..."watch out, it could happen to you!"

Apparently, it doesnt matter where you live, what neighborhood, what income level.

Who takes this stuff seriously?!

Why do people turn off their thinking caps when the tv is on and automatically believe everything they hear?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
There seems to be a lot of people in these forums who have misplaced their thinking caps. A lot of these people think *all* Californians are phony, fake, shallow, snobby and Paris Hilton-like. As if they've met every single Californian in the state! This is all based on what they see on TV.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 07-03-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Had to add something.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:38 PM

165 posts, read 555,477 times
Thats so Hot !!!! People ? I think you read into it to much !!!! More then that nonesense. It's almost like your digging to find some kind of racism in everything you watch. Sure !!! It's always going to exist because of errogant, simple minded biggets. Remember though, Racism is on all sides of the spectrum. It's just Ignorance and stupidity !!! I don't care what race you are. If you have the Intelligence to make the best out of your life positively, And think Rationally, and make mature decisions, I'll respect you.
If you watch a show with only white people, and come to the conclusion that it's racism. Your over reacting and your looking for contraversy. Believe me, You'll definetly know when theres prejudace reasons involved. But watching a show is just not enouph to come up with a conclusion that theres racism going on.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,089,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post

Apparently there are no people of color in NYC either. Ever watch Friends or Seinfeld? Always thought that was interesting.

Sara

Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Least Archie Bunker and George Jefferson was honest about their racism but those shows didnt kill society or help society it was just 30 minutes then you moved on literally in order to change the channel LOL

Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,936,315 times
There are 4 African American's that I can think of, off the top of my head, on the soap you mentioned, "All My Children".

But I thought "Love sees no color".

Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM

165 posts, read 555,477 times
Just because you don't see Different races of people in a T.V. show, Don't automattically assume it's racism. E.R. has blacks and whites. Passions has black and white people. Iv'e seen countless shows with a mixture of races. I think it all has to do with the shows audience. Firends is about a group of Caractors who went to school together and remained friends. It's about their inner circle. Your reading to much into these shows, trying to find negative messages. tonight I watched, the Office, Earl, and some other show. They all had different races in them. These shows make their success on the people who watch the shows. It all has to do with the audience and Ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV